HOME BREWING

stuhan

This recipe, I believe is for those who "lyketh not wimmin"

😂

APRICOCK WINE

Take three pounds of sugar, and three quarts of water; let them boil together and skim it well. Then put in six pounds of apricocks, pared and stoned, and let them boil until they are tender; then take them up and when the liquor is cold bottle it up. You may if you please, after you have taken out the apricocks, let the liquor have one boil with a sprig of flowered clary in it; the apricocks make marmalade, and are very good for preserves.

Source:

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/Old-Time_Recipes_for_Home_Made_Wines_Cordials_and_Liqueurs

On a more serious note, I made some Dandelion wine around 40 years ago. It was a real chore separating the flowers from the stems, but it tasted deeeliscious!!

• Like 2

Just been checking my passion fruit wine,  The airlock has stopped bubbling, but as the experts tell you, airlocks are only an indication fermentation is happening not  full proof. This is very true as i still have a good active fermentation going on, just light co2 not enough to make the airlock bubble + i have checked for air leaks none to be seen. So sunday o.g had dropped to 1.020 so will check again thursday and let you know, it is also clearing very quickly with no added finings.

• Like 2

Checked the passion fruit wine this morning and it has dropped to 1.010 so i decided that it would make a good fizzy wine, so i bottled it, i have a good method for removing any sediment in the bottles after it clears. Had about 1kg of frozen passion fruit pulp left and 1kg of bananas so made another 5L batch of passion fruit & banana wine yesterday.

• Like 1

Tried the Carrot wine last night. Pale yellow colour, but just tastes a bit vague.

Rice & raisin's is still fermenting as long as it goes in the direct sun everyday. Outside temperature is 17°C, so during the night the wine either slows down or stops. I'll measure the SG on Friday.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Tried the Carrot wine last night. Pale yellow colour, but just tastes a bit vague.

Rice & raisin's is still fermenting as long as it goes in the direct sun everyday. Outside temperature is 17°C, so during the night the wine either slows down or stops. I'll measure the SG on Friday.

My carrot wine tasted terrible last year, down the sink it went, won't make it again maybe it was the carrots, i don't find they taste very nice here, might be the fertilizer they use.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

My Riceberry & Raisin is going very slowly, from 12% down to 7% in a week. Will put it out in the sun when it gets over 20 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrr. it's cold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

My carrot wine tasted terrible last year, down the sink it went, won't make it again maybe it was the carrots, i don't find they taste very nice here, might be the fertilizer they use.

I'll keep mine for 6 months & if it doesn't taste any better, out it goes!

• Like 1

My Mrs tell me that there is some kind of yeast/enzyme which converts the starch in rice into sugar, used for making Lao Kao. What is it please?

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

My Mrs tell me that there is some kind of yeast/enzyme which converts the starch in rice into sugar, used for making Lao Kao. What is it please?

Its called  Sato, get it on Facebook  from Maha Sarakham..  

• Like 2

Just bottled 5 litres of Chardonnay made from 1 litre of Jamango juice, 4 litres of water. 10 days fermenting, racked for a month and in bottles today. Jeeeeezus, it's strong and tastes good. Ready for Watford v City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

27 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Just bottled 5 litres of Chardonnay made from 1 litre of Jamango juice, 4 litres of water. 10 days fermenting, racked for a month and in bottles today. Jeeeeezus, it's strong and tastes good. Ready for Watford v City.

How much was the Jamago juice?

Love good Chardonnay...

Too lazy to look at earlier posts....555!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Faraday said:

Love good Chardonnay...

1 liter 3 liters 5 liters 10 liters
750 Baht
375 Baht
2,020 Baht
1,010 Baht
3,190 Baht
1,595 Baht
5,620 Baht
2,810 Baht

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 6:35 PM, Faraday said:

Love good Chardonnay...

They have a 50% off sale on some juices at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/5/2021 at 5:40 AM, stuhan said:
1 liter 3 liters 5 liters 10 liters
750 Baht
375 Baht
2,020 Baht
1,010 Baht
3,190 Baht
1,595 Baht
5,620 Baht
2,810 Baht

At those reduced prices you could be making reasonable vino for less than Bht 100 a bottle. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

At those reduced prices you could be making reasonable vino for less than Bht 100 a bottle. 

At they prices i will buy 5l in the new year and make 30l batch ( why not ) and free shipping.😆. I am buying a new 30l fermenting system new year as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stuhan said:

At they prices i will buy 5l in the new year and make 30l batch ( why not ) and free shipping.😆. I am buying a new 30l fermenting system new year as well.

So are you saying that you will add 5 litres of water to each litre of concentrate?

I like to do 10 litre batches, 2 x Jamago plus 8 of water, which gives 16 x 620 ml beer bottles ie two week's consumption ! I do not have storage space for more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

So are you saying that you will add 5 litres of water to each litre of concentrate?

I like to do 10 litre batches, 2 x Jamago plus 8 of water, which gives 16 x 620 ml beer bottles ie two week's consumption ! I do not have storage space for more.

Yes that is correct, the new fermenter collects the yeast its a conical fermenter you no longer need to rack start to finish in one, when finished just store in 1 gallon containers.

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Looking forward to our invites at Chez Stuhan..

Drunk Cbs GIF by Paramount+

How's the rice & raisin doing, the passion/banana i started has the strongest fermentation i''ve seen so far and is still going strong for 4 day's now even at low temps, sure it's going to finish in around a week.

55 minutes ago, stuhan said:

How's the rice & raisin doing, the passion/banana i started has the strongest fermentation i''ve seen so far and is still going strong for 4 day's now even at low temps, sure it's going to finish in around a week.

Seems to be slowing down, & it's at 11% - hoping for more, but the wide range of temperature isn't, I don't think, helping.

I'll rack it off later, & see how it goes.

I think the passion/banana will taste very good, the sharpness being balanced by the bananas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WilliamG said:

They have a 50% off sale on some juices at the moment. 

And I ordered yesterday morning, bank transfer. Arrived just now. Amazing service.

20 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Seems to be slowing down, & it's at 11% - hoping for more, but the wide range of temperature isn't, I don't think, helping.

I'll rack it off later, & see how it goes.

I think the passion/banana will taste very good, the sharpness being balanced by the bananas.

My last batch of passion fruit and gooseberry did go very slow for 2 weeks but did increase the % at the end to about 15%, i blame myself for that to much gooseberry made it to acid for the yeast, i will use less next time, gooseberry i find better than lemon for acid, gives the wine a sharper bite in a dry wine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1