HOME BREWING

stuhan

So anyway, the Anchan concoction is fermenting at around 1per second, & should bloody well hope so with all that yeast! 555!

Going to rack off the Carrot wine later, there's no froth at all, it just effervesces. Smells like wine though.☑️

• Like 2

Here's the Carrot wine, started 10 days ago, & with a very respectable 14%.

I hope that when it finishes, it will end up at 16% - or more.

As @stuhan said, it puts hairs on your chest... rather hoping it might spread to my bonce!

😂😂

20211110_091427.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Looking good,great color. My red apple is doing very well, i used my favorite red star premier blanc yeast and cannot believe after 5 days it's gone from 1.110 to 1.010 nearly finished, should be done fermenting to 0.995  by saturday then i will rack it add bentonite and leave it till christmas.. I also made a 5L batch of rice & raisin, used the same yeast & it's going well on day 3 also. My green apple & cinnamon stopped at 1.020 using lavin 1116 that's why i went back to the red star, not to worry though i'll make an apple brandy with it. Still have not started the pomegranate yet. Adding raisins to all my wines now, the yeast seems to like them and adds a nice flavor.

• Like 3

Mmmm....rice & rasin, that sounds luurvely. What rice did you use. How many litres did you make?

Going to try making wine in 10L minimum, as there is - as we all know, a lot of faffing)but enjoyable) around.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Faraday said:

Mmmm....rice & rasin, that sounds luurvely. What rice did you use. How many litres did you make?

Going to try making wine in 10L minimum, as there is - as we all know, a lot of faffing)but enjoyable) around.

I only made 5L of rice and raisin just to see what it's like, this morning its starting to clear but no idea whether it will be good bad sweet or dry, i will take a reading on saturday it's only on day 4. 10L is a good amount to make agreed.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, stuhan said:

I only made 5L of rice and raisin just to see what it's like, this morning its starting to clear but no idea whether it will be good bad sweet or dry, i will take a reading on saturday it's only on day 4. 10L is a good amount to make agreed.

Rice & raisin this morning O.G was 1.090 so if reach 0.995 dry should be 13%, a small taste was dry already so i think its nearly finished amazing in 4 days.IMG_20211111_071230.thumb.jpg.031186f1ff20415be3506e42f6db109e.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Faraday said:

Here's the Carrot wine, started 10 days ago, & with a very respectable 14%.

I hope that when it finishes, it will end up at 16% - or more.

As @stuhan said, it puts hairs on your chest... rather hoping it might spread to my bonce!

😂😂

20211110_091427.jpg

How much carrot & sugar did you use please?

• Like 1

This RedStar Premier Cuvee Yeast is totally different from the Lalvin 1116, it characteristics are more like Persil washing powder than yeast, the bubbles on top of the fermentation are more like soap suds than anything I've ever seen before. It is supposed to be a fast fermentation yeast but I am on day 10 now and the pomegranite is still going strong, but the red berry wine is easing off a little now, just took a reading and it is still only 10.2% abv. Will take another reading in a couple of days while keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG_20211111_093948.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

How much carrot & sugar did you use please?

I put 2 kg in the blender & squeezed out all the juice.

300gms of Golden Sultanas (from Lazada)

1.5 kg sugar 

5 litres of water.

🍾

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stuhan said:

Rice & raisin this morning O.G was 1.090 so if reach 0.995 dry should be 13%, a small taste was dry already so i think its nearly finished amazing in 4 days.IMG_20211111_071230.thumb.jpg.031186f1ff20415be3506e42f6db109e.jpg

Forgot to add, the rice was just our own plain paddy rice nothing special.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

This RedStar Premier Cuvee Yeast is totally different from the Lalvin 1116, it characteristics are more like Persil washing powder than yeast, the bubbles on top of the fermentation are more like soap suds than anything I've ever seen before. It is supposed to be a fast fermentation yeast but I am on day 10 now and the pomegranite is still going strong, but the red berry wine is easing off a little now, just took a reading and it is still only 10.2% abv. Will take another reading in a couple of days while keeping my fingers crossed.

IMG_20211111_093948.jpg

The red star cuvee and premier blanc are low foamers so you mostly see bubbles rising, as for the other r/s yeasts i haven't tried them. Right now both my wines will have finished fermenting to fully dry in 7 days using premier blanc fantastic yeast for me anyways. I tried cuvee but took much longer, i put it down to maybe to much sugar added in one go at the start or temp was very high 34-38c due to the weather at the time, funny thing is both my current wines were fermented during a lower temp being 28- 31c, also i did'nt add all my sugars in one go, so something to think about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just want to add to maybe save confusing things. In the past i have said i don't use airlocks and finish fermenting in the primary completely, that being the case normally when making only juice wines,, if i use any kind of fruit fresh or dried or even with pulp i will airlock it after the first 2-3 days to stop mold forming, keeping the oxygen out will help prevent mold and co2 will protect the wine.

• Like 2

Going to be busy for the next couple of days, so just made the Pomegranate wine. Took me about 15, minutes.

Only had 1kg of sugar & 200 gms of Sultanas 

Added 4 L of water & QA 23 yeast.

I saw on the carton it's Pomegranate + mixed fruit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Going to be busy for the next couple of days, so just made the Pomegranate wine. Took me about 15, minutes.

I thought you had to use the cartons as is, without the addition of water?

Edit: just seen you have added Sultanas, sorry.

Help Stu.

Edited by Marble-eye
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Faraday said:

42 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I thought you had to use the cartons as is, without the addition of water?

Edit: just seen you have added Sultanas, sorry.

Help Stu.

I will watch for that when i buy pomegranate juice, should be fine i used only 300g of raisins in my apple wine it's fine. I use 2 L of juice for 4L of wine and 3 in 5L.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just in case anyone is interested Lazada are doing an '11/11' sale which goes on until the 14th. I have just bought 12 litres of red grape juice for 549 baht with free delivery, works out at 45.75 baht for 1 litre.🍷😀

Edited by Marble-eye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Could not wait for saturday, so i checked both my rice&raisin and red apple wines, could'nt believe it both were reading 0.990 so very dry the way i like my wines, so racked them both into 5L bottles added bentonite and stuck em in the fridge to cold clear.Both finished in 6 and 7 days amazing

IMG_20211112_121113.thumb.jpg.3a99558dc3bea4e64619e4a7d6905340.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/27/2021 at 11:49 PM, Ubon2530 said:

Just be careful who you talk to, and keep  it somewhere hidden... It's illegal to homebrew here :)

You could write a 1000 page book on things that are Illegal to do in Thailand

Why bring it up at all?

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:09 AM, snapdragon said:

There is this guy on the other (unmentionable) platform that makes mushroom wine. He swears by it.

Works out at about 30% alcohol.

I'll ask him how to make it.

He's wrong ,you cannot ferment to that level without distillation. A little over 20% with high standard yeast is as much as you can expect.

I used to make both beer and wine (and sell - naughty me!). I brewed about 120 pints of beer and about 6 gallons of wine every week. :)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SkipsPa said:

He's wrong ,you cannot ferment to that level without distillation. A little over 20% with high standard yeast is as much as you can expect.

I used to make both beer and wine (and sell - naughty me!). I brewed about 120 pints of beer and about 6 gallons of wine every week. :)

Did you use a beer kit & what type of wine did you make?

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, Faraday said:

Whoops... think I've put in rather too much!

I thought it was 5gms to 5 litres...

You need very little yeast as it naturally increases/breeds. I would recommend using half of any packaged yeast and keeping the other half packet for insurance/future brews.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Did you use a beer kit & what type of wine did you make?

For beers I mainly used kits but for wines I often used natural products. I seldom used strong citrus fruits as can have more problems. I've never brewed or bottled in Thailand so would be careful bottling due to being warmer than UK but shouldn't be too hard - I would suggest if bottling beer to leave outside in shade if possible to avoid any bottles breaking until you are more experienced with local conditions.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SkipsPa said:

For beers I mainly used kits but for wines I often used natural products. I seldom used strong citrus fruits as can have more problems. I've never brewed or bottled in Thailand so would be careful bottling due to being warmer than UK but shouldn't be too hard - I would suggest if bottling beer to leave outside in shade if possible to avoid any bottles breaking until you are more experienced with local conditions.

Incidentally I noticed someone remarked about lack of flavour with beers. If brewing bitter it's full flavoured as soon as cleared but lager needs longer for flavour to come out, and cider need even longer for flavour to mature although obviously drinkable anyway.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 5:41 AM, stuhan said:

Just want to add to maybe save confusing things. In the past i have said i don't use airlocks and finish fermenting in the primary completely, that being the case normally when making only juice wines,, if i use any kind of fruit fresh or dried or even with pulp i will airlock it after the first 2-3 days to stop mold forming, keeping the oxygen out will help prevent mold and co2 will protect the wine.

Air locks are best for good control but I've known people even using a loose cotton wool plug etc.

• Like 1