HOME BREWING

Pineapple Mead/Melomel

• 5lbs of  Honey [2 X 1L bottles will do] check sugar content you want at least 75-79%
  • 32oz of Pineapple Juice  [2L]
  • Lalvin Champagne Yeast
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • 2tbsp of Lemon Peel
  • 2tbsp of Bitter Orange Peel (or fresh orange peel)
  • Water to the 2 gallon mark

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuhan said:

Pineapple Mead/Melomel

• 5lbs of  Honey [2 X 1L bottles will do] check sugar content you want at least 75-79%
  • 32oz of Pineapple Juice  [2L]
  • Lalvin Champagne Yeast
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • 2tbsp of Lemon Peel
  • 2tbsp of Bitter Orange Peel (or fresh orange peel)
  • Water to the 2 gallon mark

I missed some info, you need to use 4L of pineapple juice not 2L, and if alc% not enough add sugar to bring it up using your hydrometer.

Sorry it was 2am when i posted,cound'nt sleep arm aching from vaccine shot.

OK, so i have been researching brewing with alternative sugars and have found that apart from detrose,cane,palm,honey,maple,granulated and many others for use in fermentation of beers and wines, and came across rice syrup made from brown rice.

Description

This 100% pure brown rice syrup provides proteins and amino acids necessary for yeast nutrition, head retention and body along with color and flavor. Because it is filtered, Clarified Brown Rice Syrup produces a very clear, finished beer without great difficulty or product loss often experienced when trying to filter out insoluble (but colloidal suspended) protein.

This is a gluten free sugar source, and a great way to make gluten free beers! and wines.

As you can see it contains nutrients and that may be an advantage when it comes to making wine. It is cheaper than honey.So i thought why not try a wine alternative using rice syrup as it's sugar base and see how the taste and body of a wine changes [if any] using this syrup, and i will not add any additional nutrients.

I will try this in my spiced apple wine which was originally going to be a mead, i will start it next month.

Macro have the rice syrup at 280B for 3kg, that's cheaper than honey, although it's not going to be a mead it will be interesting to see how it works.

Another i will try later is coconut sugar to experiment with, macro have this to at 39B for 1kg about 18B more than normal sugar and has better qualities than normal sugar.

For me home brewing is all about experimenting and trying new things,i really enjoy trying out different idea's, enjoyable and rewarding.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, stuhan said:

This maybe the answer to keeping your fermentation at a lower temp, a big problem in Thailand. All you need is a 2nd hand cheap freezer/fridge and this.

Screenshot 2021-09-16 at 11-42-13 AC 110-220V Digital Thermostat Regulator Temperature Controller Microcomputer Lazada co th.png

This was mine, it went faulty but replaced it with something similar, I made some great beers with it but now use it for freezing food. With the wine hoping to make it without the need for a kegerator, but they are very usefull.

20161220_105220.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

This was mine, it went faulty but replaced it with something similar, I made some great beers with it but now use it for freezing food. With the wine hoping to make it without the need for a kegerator, but they are very usefull.

20161220_105220.jpg

I will try it after i get a 2nd hand freezer next year. It seems to be the answer to the problem.

• Like 2