HOME BREWING

stuhan

I am partial to a ice cold pint of cider on a hot lazy sunday after lunch, so i thought i would post a cider recipe  for you, its very simple to do.

You may have to add sugar to bring up to 1.044 - 1.050 and i would not go higher than that or it will take longer to mellow out. After it's finished fermenting rack it for two weeks to clear preferably in a fridge if you can,the cold will make it clear faster.

Ingredients:

1L of carton red apple juice
Fermentis – Safcider Cider yeast 1 or 2 g per gallon. [Avail from THAIBREWSHOP]
1 tsp. yeast nutrient  D.A.P from LAZADA

Original Gravity: 1.044
72 hours: 1.004
Final Gravity: 1.000
AVB: 5.74%

• Thanks 1

First lot of Jamago Cabernet Sauvignon. 1 Litre concentrate, 4 litres water, 350 gms sugar, Lalvin 1118. One week primary, two week secondary. Tell you in a week or so.

Ready for the Cellar.jpg

Edited by WilliamG
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

First lot of Jamago Cabernet Sauvignon. 1 Litre concentrate, 4 litres water, 350 gms sugar, Lalvin 1118. One week primary, two week secondary. Tell you in a week or so.

Ready for the Cellar.jpg

Can you hear any ticking coming from the bottles William? 😂😂

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JamesE said:

Romulan Ale!

13 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Ready for the Cellar.jpg

Look great, like the labels.

17 hours ago, JamesE said:

Romulan Ale!

My apple is the same,the carton juice said green apple juice with pulp,so i guess that's why it's a bugger to clear,i will try to avoid juice with pulp in the future.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stuhan said:

I am partial to a ice cold pint of cider on a hot lazy sunday after lunch, so i thought i would post a cider recipe  for you, its very simple to do.

You may have to add sugar to bring up to 1.044 - 1.050 and i would not go higher than that or it will take longer to mellow out. After it's finished fermenting rack it for two weeks to clear preferably in a fridge if you can,the cold will make it clear faster.

Ingredients:

1L of carton red apple juice
Fermentis – Safcider Cider yeast 1 or 2 g per gallon. [Avail from THAIBREWSHOP]
1 tsp. yeast nutrient  D.A.P from LAZADA

Original Gravity: 1.044
72 hours: 1.004
Final Gravity: 1.000
AVB: 5.74%

Is it still Cider, or sparkling?

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Can you change the first line of ingredient to at least FIVE litres. Takes just as much yeast and as long to ferment'   555   LOL

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Still dry cider if you let it finish fermenting completely , if you want sparkling just prime your bottles with 1/2 tsp of sugar and bottle at O.G 1.004 appx.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Can you change the first line of ingredient to at least FIVE litres. Takes just as much yeast and as long to ferment'   555   LOL

Well spotted, again my mistake,should be 4L for one gallon, i think old age is getting the better of me.

• Haha 2

Reracked the red wine for the third and final time, took a 500ml sample and yes it was still very dry as it would be, I'd already added the potassium sorbate and two crushed camden tablets. So decided to back sweeten, I tried 1 level tablespoon of sugar in the sample and it definately improved it, so worked out how much to sweeten the rest of the wine in the bottle and added it and gave it a good stir. Have just bottled it today, will lay it down to condition for a few hours before the tasting.

As for the peach and mango, added the bentonite and now have a fermenter bin with half juice and half pulp, will not be buying any more juice with pulp added.

I did read somewhere that the cartons of juice we are buying may not be made from the fruit but the waste whats left when they have finished processing it, I will see if I can find anymore info on the subject. Cheers 🍷

• Like 3

On 10/16/2021 at 9:06 AM, Marble-eye said:

Has anyone else noticed that with the Jamago there are two choices, one 'premier' and one 'superior'

I just wondered if anyone knew the difference, there seems to be nothing on the internet to explain this?

I ended up messaging Jamago about the two choices, either Superior or premier and here is their reply.

918954115_Screenshot_20211026_065310_com.huawei.android.launcher3.thumb.jpg.92985e683adf79e61a173e348bc949dd.jpg

8 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

I ended up messaging Jamago about the two choices, either Superior or premier and here is their reply.

918954115_Screenshot_20211026_065310_com.huawei.android.launcher3.thumb.jpg.92985e683adf79e61a173e348bc949dd.jpg

I have their Superior Cabernet and Premier Shiraz both on the go. Will tell you nearer Christmas! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

I have their Superior Cabernet and Premier Shiraz both on the go. Will tell you nearer Christmas! 

I sent them another message asking them about the recommended dilution, they advised me it was 3 parts water to one part juice, anyway it might be easier if I just show the message. Did you get a wine recipe with your grape juice William?

So that will make 4 litres or about 5 bottles of 75mls of wine, so it'll probably work out at about 160 baht per bottle, so still not bad at all. 

1541514160_Screenshot_2021-10-26-10-23-38-7742.thumb.jpeg.fb541111248967103400b7d54552b091.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

I sent them another message asking them about the recommended dilution, they advised me it was 3 parts water to one part juice, anyway it might be easier if I just show the message. Did you get a wine recipe with your grape juice William?

So that will make 4 litres or about 5 bottles of 75mls of wine, so it'll probably work out at about 160 baht per bottle, so still not bad at all. 

1541514160_Screenshot_2021-10-26-10-23-38-7742.thumb.jpeg.fb541111248967103400b7d54552b091.jpeg

I did 4 to 1, water/juice and it seems OK. There is a YouTube video on their website, but it goes round the houses a bit. Let's face it juice + water + sugar + yeast + time = VINO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marble-eye said:

Might just have a go at that, I love drinking a good Shiraz, a decent one in Villa costs 500/600 a bottle, which makes it too expensive to drink very often. I like to marinate steak, but if I use a Blackberry wine, it doesn't taste right.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 5:33 AM, stuhan said:

My apple is the same,the carton juice said green apple juice with pulp,so i guess that's why it's a bugger to clear,i will try to avoid juice with pulp in the future.

Hi Stu, I managed to drain about 6 litres off the 12 litres of peach/mango juice, the rest was just pulp, I tried straining the pulp through a nylon bag I used to boil my barley in but immediately as the pulp touched the sides of the bag it just blocked it, so binned it. Bottled it today and managed to fill 6 one litre bottles with about a cup left. It actually tastes very very good, smooth as silk and has a great aroma of the peach and mango, so all was not lost.

It hasn't cleared and I suspect it never will, it looks like a bottle of Colmans Mustard, but with a very good consistancy and taste. 🍷

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Hi Stu, I managed to drain about 6 litres off the 12 litres of peach/mango juice, the rest was just pulp, I tried straining the pulp through a nylon bag I used to boil my barley in but immediately as the pulp touched the sides of the bag it just blocked it, so binned it. Bottled it today and managed to fill 6 one litre bottles with about a cup left. It actually tastes very very good, smooth as silk and has a great aroma of the peach and mango, so all was not lost.

It hasn't cleared and I suspect it never will, it looks like a bottle of Colmans Mustard, but with a very good consistancy and taste. 🍷

Pulp in wine making is a real pain but a lot of flavor comes from it, i try to avoid pulp if i can, although saying that you can devise a flitering system using 10 or 20 micron filters with a small electric pump that will remove the pulp, i am making one, it will even clear normal juice wines and is simple and inexpensive to make with washable filters. Your peach/mango sounds great, i love mango wine.My apple and grape wines are still fermenting 18 days now and still cloudy,but i don't really worry about it. Starting a pomegranate wine next week, never tried before.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, stuhan said:

Pulp in wine making is a real pain but a lot of flavor comes from it, i try to avoid pulp if i can, although saying that you can devise a flitering system using 10 or 20 micron filters with a small electric pump that will remove the pulp, i am making one, it will even clear normal juice wines and is simple and inexpensive to make with washable filters. Your peach/mango sounds great, i love mango wine.My apple and grape wines are still fermenting 18 days now and still cloudy,but i don't really worry about it. Starting a pomegranate wine next week, never tried before.

Very interested in your wine clearing pump, Stu, hope you'll post it up when it's finished.

I think Pomegranate wine will taste very good, especially because of the quality of them here. Will you ferment it with the seeds as well? 

Four months ago we made some Lamyai wine - think I posted it up on here. Really unimpressed when it was finished.

However, just opened a small bottle, & it tastes a bit like a sweet sherry & just as strong. Lovely stuff!

Cheers all!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Faraday said:

Very interested in your wine clearing pump, Stu, hope you'll post it up when it's finished.

I think Pomegranate wine will taste very good, especially because of the quality of them here. Will you ferment it with the seeds as well? 

Four months ago we made some Lamyai wine - think I posted it up on here. Really unimpressed when it was finished.

However, just opened a small bottle, & it tastes a bit like a sweet sherry & just as strong. Lovely stuff!

Cheers all!

The pomegranate i will make will be from juice not fresh, can't be bothered with the mess these days.

Take a look at this You-Tube vid, this is the same as the one i will be making soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

How is the brewing & drinking going everyone?

I made some Carrot wine a week ago, I'll post when it's finished fermenting.

Really must make some beer though, a few glasses of 15/17% wine is hard work 😁, Milk Thistle before sleeping helps though.

The Anchan wine, to which I added 500 gms of blueberries, was lovely. Very light, easy to drink (it's all gone!) & a wonderful colour.

• Like 2

Drinking my grape red at the moment it is as clear as a bell and tastes just fine, the peach and mango will be a struggle to get down the old tube but I'll percevere, dare not touch the port I'll leave that till Christmas. 

Just started 12 litres of mixed fruit berries and 6 litres of pomegranite juice, supposed to be very good medicinally, would have bought more but it's all Tesco had, they were doing 2 cartons for 102 baht. 

Stopped drinking beer and spirits, just drinking this wonderful wine now.

• Like 3
  • Cool 1

This is my red apple wine 15hrs since adding /pitching the yeast. The other small one is green apple and cinnamon still fermenting after 3 weeks. Phone camera is terribleIMG_20211107_061232.thumb.jpg.40d77aaad5deaf184ed46d2faf4d49ed.jpg

• Like 3

Anchan, Blueberry & Golden Sultana wine.

Enjoyed the Anchan wine so much last time, so this time I made 11 litres.

Only had one packet of Lalvin 118 yeast so added a QA 23 as well.

inCollage_20211109_154329261.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Anchan, Blueberry & Golden Sultana wine.

Enjoyed the Anchan wine so much last time, so this time I made 11 litres.

Only had one packet of Lalvin 118 yeast so added a QA 23 as well.

inCollage_20211109_154329261.jpg

Half a packet of any yeast is plenty for 11 litres.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Half a packet of any yeast is plenty for 11 litres.

Whoops... think I've put in rather too much!

I thought it was 5gms to 5 litres...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2