HOME BREWING

stuhan

36 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Yes, provided you had a strong enough bottle to fit them on, I suggest trying what @stuhan advised and use your beer bottle but only use the sugar sparingly, like 1 level teaspoon per 1 litre bottle, maybe a little less, but using what's recommended is the ideal solution, if you have an explosive cabinet I would let your sparkling wine condition in there. 💣💥

Edited by Marble-eye
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

8,900 baht does seem a lot but don't forget you get two! 😂😂😂

Be carefull using lazada you get people taking the pee at times ,2 bottles 8500B give that a big miss, try aliexpress china they have lots of homebrew stuff just takes a bit longer to ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Thanks. Looked and it is Bht 600 for 1 litre normal stuff. How much do you dilute this for say 10 litres of wine please?

No sure, but it says it's 68 Brix. Think Stu might know.

@stuhan

3 hours ago, WilliamG said:

Thanks. Looked and it is Bht 600 for 1 litre normal stuff. How much do you dilute this for say 10 litres of wine please?

I have never used concentrate only 100% juice, i believe that 1L of concentrated juice like welch's frozen fruit you would add appx 4L of water giving a total of 5L appx.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stuhan said:

I have never used concentrate only 100% juice, i believe that 1L of concentrated juice like welch's frozen fruit you would add appx 4L of water giving a total of 5L appx.

Hope that helps

Update on that. You could probably push that to adding 5L of water, depends on how much body you want in your wine. I usually make 8L batches with 3L of carton juice 135B----169B ,6L x2 water bottles 29B, and sugar 21B x2 a kg from Macro total between  235B---269B, one reason i don't use concentrate it's expensive unless you live in the states🤣, my total cost for 8L of carton wines rarely goes above 350B, for frozen about 500B and for fresh fruit, that depends on cost per kg of a particular fruit which require 4kg---5kg for a 8L batch again depends on the type of fruit. So lets say you get a good 7L of wine from a 8L batch after any waste that works out to carton wine appx 50B a bottle and frozen at 70B a bottle based on 350B to 500B. 🤩

Happy wine making.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stuhan said:

Update on that. You could probably push that to adding 5L of water, depends on how much body you want in your wine. I usually make 8L batches with 3L of carton juice 135B----169B ,6L x2 water bottles 29B, and sugar 21B x2 a kg from Macro total between  235B---269B, one reason i don't use concentrate it's expensive unless you live in the states🤣, my total cost for 8L of carton wines rarely goes above 350B, for frozen about 500B and for fresh fruit, that depends on cost per kg of a particular fruit which require 4kg---5kg for a 8L batch again depends on the type of fruit. So lets say you get a good 7L of wine from a 8L batch after any waste that works out to carton wine appx 50B a bottle and frozen at 70B a bottle based on 350B to 500B. 🤩

Happy wine making.

Should have said 50B to 70B per 1L bottles,that's even better.😍

I contacted Jamago directly about the dilution of water to 1L of grape concentrate, this is the email from them.

Thank you for the interest in our product.
The original mix would be 1 liter concentrate to 3 liters of water + 220 gram white sugar.
You can experiment with different ratios until you find your desired taste.
It is possible to max out the ratio to 1:8 with sugar addition.

1:3 would give you 4L or 1 gallon.

Maybe seem a little expensive but if you can dilute to 1:8 it would be a great option for making a top homemade wine with concentrate from the grape type that makes famous wines, so i will try this out early next year with 1L of the CABERNET SAUVIGNON and SAUVIGNON BLANC  and use 1:7 mix dilution = to 8L + 700g of sugar,see how it goes. It would be worth the 600B if it works, yes I'm excited about this experiment now.

Edited by stuhan
edit
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, stuhan said:

I contacted Jamago directly about the dilution of water to 1L of grape concentrate, this is the email from them.

Thank you for the interest in our product.
The original mix would be 1 liter concentrate to 3 liters of water + 220 gram white sugar.
You can experiment with different ratios until you find your desired taste.
It is possible to max out the ratio to 1:8 with sugar addition.

1:3 would give you 4L or 1 gallon.

Maybe seem a little expensive but if you can dilute to 1:8 it would be a great option for making a top homemade wine with concentrate from the grape type that makes famous wines, so i will try this out early next year with 1L of the CABERNET SAUVIGNON and SAUVIGNON BLANC  and use 1:7 mix dilution = to 8L + 700g of sugar,see how it goes. It would be worth the 600B if it works, yes I'm excited about this experiment now.

Yes might give this a go myself, it seems a lot less messy than making the fruit wine. Saw this video on the net about making from Jamago fruit concentrate, it may be of interest to some?

@stuhando you have any problems with fermenting the wine with tropical temperatures Stu?

Am I correct in thinking that 1:6 would be comparable to store bought grape juice?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Yes might give this a go myself, it seems a lot less messy than making the fruit wine. Saw this video on the net about making from Jamago fruit concentrate, it may be of interest to some?

@stuhando you have any problems with fermenting the wine with tropical temperatures Stu?

Am I correct in thinking that 1:6 would be comparable to store bought grape juice?

Takes min of 2L of carton wine for 1 gallon, some say you can do with 1L but that's a very weak wine, i make 8L with 3 or maybe 4L of carton juice but remember sugar you use adds volume to the mixture to. As for the weather here it plays havoc with my fermentation, yeasts can ferment up to about 35c but temps here are more than often in the high 30's, i can use a/c but that's expensive running all day so best i can do is put a fan on full all day and turn off night time. Normally fermentation is done in 3 weeks in cooler places but here it can finish in 6 to 12 days. That's a good video explains a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carrot whisky recipe i came across. I'm guessing it's for 11L or 12L going by the amounts.Vegetable wines are well known for making high alc% wines.

241861211_894881424739504_5535220482059148776_n.jpg

Edited by stuhan
edit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, stuhan said:

Carrot whisky recipe i came across. I'm guessing it's for 11L or 12L going by the amounts.Vegetable wines are well known for making high alc% wines.

241861211_894881424739504_5535220482059148776_n.jpg

"Cauldron"???

On another note... Has anybody tried using non-sucrose sugar - like dextrose (corn sugar) or fructose - in place of table sugar? It always seems that I get a much "rounder" taste profile on my cider (basically all fructose) than I do with my fruit wine with its added sugar.

5 hours ago, JamesE said:

"Cauldron"???

On another note... Has anybody tried using non-sucrose sugar - like dextrose (corn sugar) or fructose - in place of table sugar? It always seems that I get a much "rounder" taste profile on my cider (basically all fructose) than I do with my fruit wine with its added sugar.

Cauldron, must be a witch, i have never heard of a pot being called a cauldron before,i suppose it has some comparison.

Anyway short answer as i am in a hurry today,just leaving to get my 2nd Pfizer shot in Korat.

Brewing sugars are always better and your correct they give a smoother flavor and texture to wines/ciders/melomels but beers don't seem to mind cane sugar/cheap stuff, only drawback is brewing sugars are more expensive so i just use the cheap stuff [being scottish]. I have yet  to try coconut sugar as an experiment,will try in the new year.Next month i have opted for a 8L batch of spiced apple/honey melomel for Christmas.

• Like 2

What does the other members think of Malee fruit juice for wine making, does it have any preservatives that might be detrimental to wine making. On Lazada you can buy 12 litres for about 644 baht, seems ok to me, is it a good buy any thoughts?

Screenshot_2021-09-14-10-08-16-546~3.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

What does the other members think of Malee fruit juice for wine making, does it have any preservatives that might be detrimental to wine making. On Lazada you can buy 12 litres for about 644 baht, seems ok to me, is it a good buy any thoughts?

You'll have to check the label. If it's just pasteurized with no preservatives that's great. If it uses citric acid as a preservative you'd probably be okay. (Although you'd definitely want to check the pH first.) Anything more chemically sounding or a generic term like "Preservative" would raise some red flags. Their website doesn't list any other ingredients so, excellent. They also have a red grape juice product.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Used Malee Orange juice about two months ago, turned out fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marble-eye said:

Malee is fine I use it myself.  Aro from macro is cheap 135B for 3L. 

• Like 1

This is the recipe i will use for 8L of spiced apple melomel [ cyser/mead/honey]  and add 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks.

This Apple Mead Recipe – Makes 2 Gallons / 8 Litres

Ingredients

2 kg Honey

6 Litres Apple Juice (with no preservatives)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

1/2 tsp Acid Blend

1 tsp Pectic Enzyme/Pectolase

1/8 tsp Tannin [ i use 2 strong tea bags]

1 sachet Yeast (Lalvin D-47 or 1116

Method

Thoroughly clean and sanitise your fermenter and funnel if using. Sit the jars of honey in hot water to loosen them up.

In the fermenting vessel add the apple juice at room temperature and then carefully pour in the honey. Mix this thoroughly to ensure all the honey gets dissolved. At this point, you can take a hydrometer reading to note down the OG.

Add the yeast nutrient, acid blend, tannin and pectic enzyme and stir thoroughly.

Pitch the yeast either by sprinkling directly onto the surface of the mead or by rehydrating according to the package instruction. It is preferable to rehydrate the yeast.

Fit the lid and airlock and the fermentation will begin after a short lag phase of 2-3 days.

Allow fermentation to continue for a week and you’ll notice that fermentation will begin to fade down, fewer bubbles will be leaving the airlock. After 10 days you can take a hydrometer reading and carefully syphon the apple mead to a demijohn/carboy.

The bulk of activity is now over and the final stages of fermentation will happen in the demijohn. It is best to leave the apple mead in the demijohn for a month or more as it clears. After a month or two, the apple mead should be clearing and it can be syphoned to a newly sanitised demijohn to condition further.

Edited by stuhan
info
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, stuhan said:

Malee is fine I use it myself.  Aro from macro is cheap 135B for 3L. 

I have used Malee and Tipco, depends which is on offer at Tesco.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WilliamG said:

I have used Malee and Tipco, depends which is on offer at Tesco.

You also see a lot of offers ex: buy 2 get one free at Tesco and Big c

• Like 1

Pineapple Mead/Melomel

• 5lbs of  Honey [2 X 1L bottles will do] check sugar content you want at least 75-79%
  • 32oz of Pineapple Juice  [2L]
  • Lalvin Champagne Yeast
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • 2tbsp of Lemon Peel
  • 2tbsp of Bitter Orange Peel (or fresh orange peel)
  • Water to the 2 gallon mark

• Like 1