HOME BREWING

stuhan

6lt OF ORANGE WINE WITH FRESH ORANGES   13.5-14% abv

Orange Wine Recipe
The best oranges to use are sweet, juicy and thin-skinned, and you’ll need about 15-18 large ones for the required amount of orange juice. As with all citrus fruits, avoid including any white pith or pips. The addition of a little lemon juice helps the acidity of this wine. 

• 3 PINTS OF FRESH ORANGE JUICE OR USE 2LTRS CARTON ORANGE JUICE IN PLACE OF FRESH ORANGES
• 3 .5 POUNDS WHITE SUGAR
• 1 LARGE LEMON
1 STRONG TEA BAG
• WATER
• WINE YEAST 5G  [RED STAR CUVEE OR LALVIN E1118]
• YEAST NUTRIENT  [100G CHOPPED RAISINS]
CLEAN EVERY THING SQUEAKY CLEAN WITH DILUTED UNSCENTED UNTHICKEND HOUSEHOLD BLEACH AND RINSE WELL WITH PRE BOILED WATER.

1. Cut the oranges in half and use a lemon squeezer to press out 2.5-3 pints of juice, removing any pips.

2. Make the juice up to 6ltrs  with cold water.

3. Pare the rind very thinly from 4 of the oranges and add this to the juice. Dissolve the sugar in 2 pints of boiling water, cool, then add to the orange juice together with the yeast and raisins, 250 ml of tea discard the bag, and the juice of the lemon.

4. Cover and leave to ferment in a warm place for 4 days, stirring twice daily. Strain the liquid into a fermenting jar, close off with an air-lock and leave to ferment on, racking when the wine begins to clear.

5. Once all fermentation has ended and the wine is completely clear, bottle and store in a cool dark place to mature for at least 6 months or drink it.

ENJOY

• Like 1

Will only post a few comments,photo's on this topic now, it's not really generated much interest, guess it's just not peoples thing but no worries, if anyone wants to add things please do.?

Stu

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hi @stuhan

Please keep posting as I find it very interesting and have been taking notes.

O.K  Andrew i will post a few things every week if you like, info,recipes,ect, whats your preferences wine or beers.

Stu

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used to brew a lot of wine and beer at University which was popular and I called it generically hooch. It did the job and was popular with my flat mates though never matured long enough to soften the 'gag; factor. Tried to get a kit and restate that last year 9I'm 60 now) and the wife banned it with the retort that I drink enough already. So that was that. Back in the day I also made a test still out of hose and copper pipe and stuff foraged out of skips - worked quite well ( it would burn when lit with a match) but only did a couple of runs as I was paranoids about getting poisoned by my (illegal) moonshine, you need to be careful not to concentrate poisons in the run-off rather than the not so poisonous ethanol. 

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2021 at 3:04 PM, stuhan said:

The facts are yes it's illegal to make alcohol in Thailand,if you are only making it for yourself, not selling it or making huge amounts of it their not that bothered , why otherwise would they allow home brew stores to do business in Thailand or allow stores like lazada to sell beer kits,also customs have never refused any of my orders from outside of Thailand. So really it's not an issue and it's been going on for decades, have you never seen that gut rot they sell on the soi's with no labels, thats an example, stay away from that stuff it's cheap but it's as lethal as a bad Thai sausage ?

As a matter of interest, are you restricted on how much you can bring into Thailand  when you order from abroad. I really miss a good red wine.

On the homebrew front, my father used to make a fantastic ginger beer, it used to bubble away forever. Do you have a good recipe for it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stuhan said:

whats your preferences wine or beers

Wine please Stu, a bloody large glass of.

Do you think using a Hydrometer is easier, than the Brix refractometer?

Oh, & thanks your pm earlier...16%...here I come!

43 minutes ago, Andrew Reeve said:

Hi @stuhan

Please keep posting as I find it very interesting and have been taking notes.

Same same.

If and when we can travel again I shall bring back Coopers kits from Aus and get back into it. 

Many years ago I actually had a glass carboy, 25 to 30 litre IIRC, and carted it from NZ to Aus on a flight as baggage.  One time in preparation for a fresh brew, a helper poured boiling water in to sterilise instead of using metabisulphite.  You can guess what happened.  Not happy!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobalong said:

As a matter of interest, are you restricted on how much you can bring into Thailand  when you order from abroad. I really miss a good red wine.

On the homebrew front, my father used to make a fantastic ginger beer, it used to bubble away forever. Do you have a good recipe for it?

I will look and see

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Same same.

If and when we can travel again I shall bring back Coopers kits from Aus and get back into it. 

Many years ago I actually had a glass carboy, 25 to 30 litre IIRC, and carted it from NZ to Aus on a flight as baggage.  One time in preparation for a fresh brew, a helper poured boiling water in to sterilise instead of using metabisulphite.  You can guess what happened.  Not happy!  

ooops

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Wine please Stu, a bloody large glass of.

Do you think using a Hydrometer is easier, than the Brix refractometer?

Oh, & thanks your pm earlier...16%...here I come!

Yes much easier. Welcome

1 hour ago, Bobalong said:

I have this one.

Alcoholic Ginger Beer Recipe (for 5L)

1/ Bring to boil and simmer for about 15 mins:

• 200g ginger – chopped or sliced (I use a food processor with a bit of water). You can use more if you want.
  • Skin of 2-4 lemons or limes – avoid the white pith (I use potato peeler)
  • Juice of 4 lemons or limes

Optional:

• Chillies fresh or dry
  • Cloves
  • Cinnamon sticks
  • You can fairly much add anything (provided it doesn’t have a preservative in it) you think you will like the flavour of in your ginger beer eg fruit, spices etc

As much water as you can fit in your pot with enough room not to boil over– a bigger pot is best but if you only have a small one, use that.

2/ Take it off the stove and add your sugar.

Stir to dissolve.  Use 400g sugar / 5 litres for approx. 5% brew – 600g for approx. 7.5% brew.  You can use plain white sugar or mix brown and white for a darker coloured brew with a slightly richer flavour.  Or you can use honey or any other fermentable sugar.

3/ Wait to cool and pour into a plastic food grade bucket with lid.

Recommended that you sterlise your bucket first with metabisulphite.

4/ Top up to 5 litres with cooled boiled water if needed.

5/ Cool to room temperature.  Add yeast nutrient (optional but recommended) as per manufacturer’s instructions.

6/ Add your yeast according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Champagne yeast is recommended.  Replace bucket lid

7/ Within 24 hours you should have fermentation activity –

you should see bubbles and probably a yeasty fragrance.  Stir 2 x daily.  Recommended that you sterlise your spoon first with metabisulphite or boiling water.

8/ Leave until fermentation stops –

or it doesn’t taste at all sweet anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Tomorrow i will post a winter ale recipe, maybe a porter or stout and a Christmas strong mulled wine recipe,just in time for drinking  at Christmas, my fav time of year.

Stu

• Thanks 1

ALL GRAIN BEER KITS VS EXTRACTED BEER KITS
1: ALL GRAIN KITS
These are kits which are availible from the beer supplier i use in Thailand. If you know the all grain brewing process already thats a help. For newcomers to all grain beer brewing, the full instructions come with the kit, but unlike ready made extracted malt kits they require more equipment, prep time and following many steps.
BASIC EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
LARGE STAINLESS STEEL BOILING POT
LARGE STAINLESS STEEL MASHING POT
GRAIN MILL
HYDROMETER
THERMOMETER
FERMENTATION BUCKET.

SAMPLE PORTER RECIPE OTHERS ARE MUCH THE SAME.
12lbs of grains and 2oz of hops 
Pale Ale Malt
Caramel Malt
Roasted Malts
Northern Brewer Hop
Lallemand Windsor/Fermentis S04
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons  OG: 1.064
FG: 1.018 ABV: 6.0% IBU: 30.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2: EXTRACTED MALT BEER KITS
THESE ARE MORE SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS AND VERY SIMPLE TO MAKE.
PREP TIME 30 MINS
EQUIPMENT.
FOOD GRADE 20LT FERMENTING BUCKET
HYDROMETER
LONG HANDLED SPOON
KETTLE.
INGREDIENTS
KIT
SUGAR 
SOFT DRINK BOTTLES.
METHOD
1 EMPTY CAN IN FERMENTOR/ADD BOILING WATER & SUGAR/COOL & ADD YEAST. THATS IT SIMPLE
I thought a lot about the best way i could do beer recipes, but would only have confused people,so explaining about pro's/cons of kits was easier.
I know which one i would choose, extracted every time, so only if someone wants a specific all grain recipe will i post one,it's easier that way. Kits are easier to make and come with almost with everything you need [ ex-equipment ]
Anyone requiring information about suppliers of beer kits in Thailand or abroad that ship then pm.me rather than posting in the forum for obvious reasons.Only con is i cannot find a supplier of extracted malt kits in Thailand so they need to come from abroad.

Stu

• Like 2

STRONG MULLED WINE FOR XMAS
Prep:
5 mins
Cook:
25 mins
Total:
30 mins
Servings:   4 - 6 
Ingredients
1 medium orange, peeled and sliced, peel reserved
8 to 10 whole cloves
3 medium cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/3 cup honey
150 ml of brandy
1 (750-milliliter) bottle red wine
METHOD
1: Gather the ingredients.
2: Combine all of the ingredients in either a large pot or a slow cooker.
3: Gently warm the ingredients on low to medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes. Avoid boiling or simmering.
4: Stir occasionally to make sure that the honey or sugar has dissolved completely. When the wine is steaming and the ingredients have been infused, it is ready to serve.
5: Leave the whole seasonings behind, or strain the mulled wine before serving.
6: Use your own homemade red wine any type of red will do if you have some.

Stu

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stuhan said:

ALL GRAIN BEER KITS VS EXTRACTED BEER KITS
1: ALL GRAIN KITS
These are kits which are availible from the beer supplier i use in Thailand. If you know the all grain brewing process already thats a help. For newcomers to all grain beer brewing, the full instructions come with the kit, but unlike ready made extracted malt kits they require more equipment, prep time and following many steps.
BASIC EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
LARGE STAINLESS STEEL BOILING POT
LARGE STAINLESS STEEL MASHING POT
GRAIN MILL
HYDROMETER
THERMOMETER
FERMENTATION BUCKET.

SAMPLE PORTER RECIPE OTHERS ARE MUCH THE SAME.
12lbs of grains and 2oz of hops 
Pale Ale Malt
Caramel Malt
Roasted Malts
Northern Brewer Hop
Lallemand Windsor/Fermentis S04
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons  OG: 1.064
FG: 1.018 ABV: 6.0% IBU: 30.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2: EXTRACTED MALT BEER KITS
THESE ARE MORE SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS AND VERY SIMPLE TO MAKE.
PREP TIME 30 MINS
EQUIPMENT.
FOOD GRADE 20LT FERMENTING BUCKET
HYDROMETER
LONG HANDLED SPOON
KETTLE.
INGREDIENTS
KIT
SUGAR 
SOFT DRINK BOTTLES.
METHOD
1 EMPTY CAN IN FERMENTOR/ADD BOILING WATER & SUGAR/COOL & ADD YEAST. THATS IT SIMPLE
I thought a lot about the best way i could do beer recipes, but would only have confused people,so explaining about pro's/cons of kits was easier.
I know which one i would choose, extracted every time, so only if someone wants a specific all grain recipe will i post one,it's easier that way. Kits are easier to make and come with almost with everything you need [ ex-equipment ]
Anyone requiring information about suppliers of beer kits in Thailand or abroad that ship then pm.me rather than posting in the forum for obvious reasons.Only con is i cannot find a supplier of extracted malt kits in Thailand so they need to come from abroad.

Stu

Also a syphoning tube  and ordinary household bleach [ nothing fancy]  for cleaning everything [ sorry forgot ] ?

• Haha 1

If anyone does want a recipe for all grain beers ,i have many recipes but you will need to know the method yourselves as it's not easy to explain. You tube has many good video's on making all grain and extracted malt beers and if you want to have a go at making all grain beers,you can buy the kits easily in Thailand.

stu

Quick  recipe before closing my p.c for the day.?

Lime Wine

2 dozen limes

1lb raisins, chopped

4lbs sugar

1 gallon water

1 tsp yeast nutrient

wine yeast

Peel limes and set aside. Place peels in fermentor. Dissolve sugar in 2 quarts boiling water; pour over peelings and let stand for 24 hours. Squeeze limes. Combine remaining 2 quarts water with raisins and lime juice. Squeeze limes in a separate container. Strain peel-water mixture into raisins and lime juice mixture and discard the peels; add yeast and nutrient, and put entire mixture into fermentor. Ferment for 2 weeks, stirring daily. Strain and pour into secondary fermentor. Age for as long as you can ?

• Cool 1

Some all grain beer recipes if you want to try having a go and a You Tube link that explains how to make beer.

BEER RECIPES
 Vienna Lager – All Grain 
Smooth, toasty, malty and balanced lager.
9lbs of grains and 2oz of hops – 19 L.                   
Vienna Malt
Tettnanger hop
Fermentis W-34/70 or S-189 – 2 packs
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons (19 LT) OG: 1.048
FG: 1.008 ABV: 5.3% 
฿1,250.00
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robust Porter  19L 
฿1,150.00
Robust Porter Beer Ingredients 
An American porter with the classic chocolate and roasty, burnt dark malt flavors, and some caramel sweetness. Lightly fruity with some spicy and citrusy hop aromatics.
dark brown beer Gives a roasted chocolate flavor Balanced with a slight sweetness of caramel malt. light fruit scent It is inserted with spicy and citrusy tones from the hop.
12lbs of grains and 2oz of hops – 19 liters
Pale Ale Malt
Caramel Malt
Roasted Malts
Northern Brewer Hop
Lallemand Windsor / Fermentis S04
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons (19 liters) OG: 1.064
FG: 1.018 ABV: 6.0% 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Irish Dry Stout – All Grain Beer Ingredient 
A classic of Irish dry stout with complexity of caramel malt, roasted grains and a touch bitterness and floral scent from East Kent Golding hop.
Classic Irish style beer. With complexity from caramel malts and a variety of roasted malts. with a faint floral scent From the British East Kent Golding hop
9lbs of grains and 2oz of hops – 19 liters
Pale Ale malt
Flaked barley/Rolled Oat
Caramel malt
Roasted Grains
East Kent Golding hop
Fermentis U-04
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons (19 liters) OG: 1.047
FG: 1.013 ABV: 4.5% 
B 1,100,00
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic Blonde Ale Kit – All Grain
Golden, light, refreshing and easy to drink Classic Blonde Ale. Flavorful base malt backbone with a gentle bitterness from famous American hop “Citra”.
Clear golden color, refreshing, easy to drink, designed based on a variety of malts to create complex flavors. with flavors from America's most popular hops, Citra species.
9.5lbs of grains and 2oz of hops – 19 liters
Pale Ale Malt
Pilsner Malt
Munich Malt
Caramel Malt
Fermentis S-04
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons (19L) OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012 ABV: 4.8% IBU: 10
B 1,100,00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
American Wheat Ale – All Grain Beer Ingredient 
Golden wheat beer with full-bodied malty flavor, spicy floral hop flavor and citrusy hop aroma.
The beer is a slightly opaque golden yellow color. You can feel the weight of the beer. Spicy malt and hoptones from the Saaz strain and citrusy flavors from the Cascade hops.
10lbs of grains and 4oz of hops – 19 liters
Wheat malt
Pale Ale malt
Munich malt
Caramel malt
Saaz hop
Cascade hop
Fermented US-05
Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
Calcium Chloride
Batch size: 5 Gallons (19 liters) OG: 1.052
FG: 1.016 ABV: 5.1% IBU: 22
B 1,200,00

You Tube link on the basics of making all grain beers.

stu

• Like 2

MY OWN 4 GALLON MANGO WINE RECIPE 15% - 16% READY IN 3 - 4 WEEKS

12 KG OF RIPE MANGO'S IN ORDER TO GET APPX 6 KG OF PULP [ HALF THE MANGO'S WEIGHT IS SKIN & STONE] SEEMS A LOT BUT IT WILL MAKE GREAT TASTING WINE.
2X  TSP OF PECTIC ENZYMES, A MUST HAVE TO CLEAR IN 3 /4 WEEKS
JUICE FROM 2 MEDIUM LIMES/LEMONS
2.5 KG WHITE SUGAR
2 KG BROWN SUGAR
BOTTLED WATER IS BEST
1X    5G PACKET OF RED STAR CHAMPAGNE YEAST
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQUIPMENT
20L FERMENTING BUCKET & LID WITH A TAP, I FITTED A TAP
LONG HANDLE SPOON
LARGE COOKING POT
TRIPLE SCALE HYDROMETER
1 LARGE STRAINING BAG
SHARP KNIFE
SYPHON TUBE [IF YOU DON'T HAVE A TAP ON FERMENTOR] HAVING A TAP MAKES BOTTLING EASY.
DILUTED ORDINARY HOUSEHOLD BLEACH FOR CLEANING [ 2 CAPS TO 2L WATER]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLEAN EVERYTHING THOROUGHLY AND RINSE WELL,THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT  RULE OF WINE MAKING
MY METHOD IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT MAKING THE PROCESS EASIER,SOME SAY YOU CAN'T BUT IT WORKS WELL FOR ME ANYWAY.
1: PREPARE YOUR MANGO'S,HALF THEM BY CUTTING ALONG THE STONE [LIKE YOU DO WITH FISH ] OR YOUR OWN WAY,THEY ARE TRICKY WHEN RIPE,REMOVE THE PULP AND CUT INTO 1"X 1" CHUNKS.
2: PLACE IN A LARGE POT ADD ENOUGH WATER TO COVER THE MANGO'S,BRING TO A BOIL THEN SIMMER FOR 5 MINS GENTLY PRESS THE FRUIT,DON'T MASH IT.
3: PLACE THE STRAINING BAG  OVER YOUR FERMENTOR AND PUSH IT DOWN HALF WAY MAKING A WELL, SECURE WITH CLOTH PEGS ALL THE WAY ROUND.
4; POUR THE COOLED JUICE INTO THE FERMENTOR CATCHING ALL THE PULP,REMOVE THE PEGS CAREFULLY AND TIE OFF THE BAG RETAINING THE PULP,AND SUSPEND THE BAG INTO THE JUICE.
5: ADD THE LIME/LEMON JUICE & FILL WITH WATER TO THE 2 GALLON MARK
6: ADD THE PECTIC ENZYMES & LEAVE FOR 24HRS
7: MIX THE SUGAR WITH 4L OF BOILED WATER UNTIL DISSOLVED,ADD ONLY 3L FIRST TO THE FERMENTOR AND CHECK THE HYDROMETER READING,IT SHOULD READ BETWEEN 1.110 - 1.115.
8: ONCE COOLED TO AROUND 25c -27c  HYDRATE YOUR YEAST IN 50-100ML OF WARM WATER [ NOT HOT] FOR 30MINS THEN ADD TO THE JUICE, GENTLY STIR AND PLACE IN THE COOLEST PLACE [NOT EASY IN THAILAND]
9: THIS IS WHERE I CHANGE NORMAL METHODS. I DO NOT USE A SECONDARY FERMENTATION,I DO EVERYTHING START TO FINISH IN THE PRIMARY FERMENTING BUCKET. SO YOUR WINE SHOULD START TO FERMENT WITHIN 12 - 24HRS.
10: COVER WITH A CLOTH [OLD T-SHIRT,PILLOWCASE WILL DO] & PLACE THE LID LOOSE ON TOP.STIR EVERY DAY ONCE FOR 4 DAYS PUSHING THE PULP BAG BELOW THE SURFACE TO KEEP IT FROM GETTING MOULD. REMOVE AND DISCARD THE PULP ON THE 4TH DAY.
11: COVER & LEAVE THE LID LOOSE FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE FERMENTATION WHICH YOU WANT TO FINISH,ABOUT 0.990 [VERY DRY] 0.995 [DRY] 0.999 FINISHED. ABOUT 3 - 4 WEEKS NORMALLY WITH MINE.CHECK THE HYDROMETER READINGS EVERY 3 - 4 DAYS TO CHECK ON THE PROGRESS.
12: IT CAN THEN BE BOTTLED STRAIGHT FROM THE TAP OR A SYPHON TUBE LEAVING THE SEDIMENT [LEES] BEHIND. BOTTLE ONLY IN WINE OR SOFT CARBONATED DRINK BOTTLES AS FERMENTATION MAY STILL BE TAKING PLACE WHICH MIGHT PRODUCE A FIZZY WINE.

Stu

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the Mango recipe, Stu.

For what reason did you use white & brown sugar?

20 ltrs of wine is a good amount to make; at the moment I only make up to 8 litres - which disappears rathe quickly!

Where did you buy a 20 litre bucket?

Another question!

Where do you buy your Pectin enzyme from?

The reason I ask, is I bought some yeast energiser & it didn't do anything, in fact it stopped the fermentation.

Thanks

Edited by Faraday
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Thanks for the Mango recipe, Stu.

For what reason did you use white & brown sugar?

20 ltrs of wine is a good amount to make; at the moment I only make up to 8 litres - which disappears rathe quickly!

Where did you buy a 20 litre bucket?

Another question!

Where do you buy your Pectin enzyme from?

The reason I ask, is I bought some yeast energiser & it didn't do anything, in fact it stopped the fermentation.

Thanks

I use brown sugar to give a little extra flavor and color to the wine

20l bucket & lid food grade and clear B160 so you can see everything was on LAZ but no tap, i bought the tap B30, yeast B59 & the pectic enzyme B125 - 20g also from LAZ.

I have never used yeast nutrients or acid blends,to bloody expensive and over rated, i use natural products, never use finings or campden tablets either.

• Thanks 1