Phuket still ripping off Tourists

Spinner

19 minutes ago, JamesE said:

That's because all of your examples are taxpayer supported.

I get into US National Parks for free (Well it actually cost me $20) for the rest of my life. That's because I paid taxes into the system that supported those parks during my working life. A foreign tourist can't avail themselves of that deal even if they qualify on all other accounts. Is that a scam?

I pay less at hospitals because I have government sponsored health insurance that I partially paid for with taxes during my working life. The fees are cheaper than what a foreigner would pay for the same service and then my insurance pays for most of those discounted fees. Is that a scam? (Leaving aside the whole US healthcare system debate for a moment.)

What you are focusing your outrage on is everywhere, maybe the scale differs, but the concept is the same.

I have debated all this before with Stonker. I do not wish to repeat the same.

I will just write this. In the UK the British tax payer pays for all the museums, all the state attractions, every thing that might be classed as an attractions, yet Thais do not pay any more than a British subject does.

All the private entertainment enterprises do not charge Thais more than the British.

For certain matters Thais can even use our National Health Service free.

Now please I do not want to go into a long justification of what I have posted. You check and you will find I am correct.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, JamesE said:

They don't have the coupon from the local paper or Facebook group. They. Pay. More.

Yes. But if they had the coupon they would get the discount too.

Where I come from the entrance to a museum can be 35 Euro. If you go to a second one you will pay 35 Euro again.  You can also buy a subscription for E 60 that gives you access to all museums in my country for 1 full year. It is something you have to know. But also tourists can get this.

That is very very different than picking people out of the line based on their color of skin and charging them double prices.

No excuse for that kind of behaviour.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JamesE said:

That's because all of your examples are taxpayer supported.

I get into US National Parks for free (Well it actually cost me $20) for the rest of my life. That's because I paid taxes into the system that supported those parks during my working life. A foreign tourist can't avail themselves of that deal even if they qualify on all other accounts. Is that a scam?

That is not a scam. But...  If I lived in the US, if I was married to a US citizen, if I had a job and paid tax. Could I get the same?

Or would they say: 50 years ago you were born in Europe. You are not a US citizen! We will let you report your address to immigration every 90 days because you are a threat to national security. And you will pay double entrance fees for everything.

Because that is what happens in Thailand.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, dimitri said:

That is not a scam. But...  If I lived in the US, if I was married to a US citizen, if I had a job and paid tax. Could I get the same?

Or would they say: 50 years ago you were born in Europe. You are not a US citizen! We will let you report your address to immigration every 90 days because you are a threat to national security. And you will pay double entrance fees for everything.

Because that is what happens in Thailand.

Exactly right. But for expats and frequent visitors we know the rules going in. We choose to accept the way things are. Since we choose to do so there is no incentive for the powers that be to change anything. The current situation may - may - be the incentive needed to modernize the system but only time will tell.

A question: Do you have a Thai ID card?

1 hour ago, dimitri said:

That is very very different than picking people out of the line based on their color of skin and charging them double prices.

Like the Chinese? Koreans? Japanese? et al.?

WE white-folks like to play the victim (ironic, huh?) without understanding the system in which we choose to live. Understand the system and work it from the inside.

1 hour ago, dimitri said:

This is an example of understanding the system and working within it. Your knowledge and the benefits you get from that are being underwritten by the other people who just don't get it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vlad said:

Yes inform a thai establishment and get locked up for it Toby. You can't even complain about service without the fear of arrest.

I think you are always free to be critical of a Thai establishment and the management will usually take measures to address the issue.  It only becomes a problem when you turn your complaint into a personal vendetta against the establishment.

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Like the Chinese? Koreans? Japanese? et al.?

Having visited all of these countries listed, I was never overcharged or cheated based off of my skin color or for being a foreign tourist.  The price posted was the price I paid.  Not so in Thailand.

8 minutes ago, TiT said:

Having visited all of these countries listed, I was never overcharged or cheated based off of my skin color or for being a foreign tourist.  The price posted was the price I paid.  Not so in Thailand.

You misunderstood. In Thailand price discrimination is not about the color of your skin, it's about not being Thai. You stated that Thais were "picking people out of the line based on their color of skin". I was only saying that people from other Asian nations were also being picked out of that line. I was not inferring anything about how you would be treated in their countries.

• Like 1

You misunderstood. In Thailand price discrimination is not about the color of your skin, it's about not being Thai. You stated that Thais were "picking people out of the line based on their color of skin". I was only saying that people from other Asian nations were also being picked out of that line. I was not inferring anything about how you would be treated in their countries.

The color of skin is irrelevant, we are all viewed as farangs.  My point is that Thais find it acceptable to overcharge farangs with the double pricing standard, but would be the first to call foul if they were overcharged in any country they visited as a tourist.

• Like 1

I think in certain areas and places as especially Phuket has always been a big tosser loser. For me, that generalization may be the case for me a long time ago, but in many ways now I see that I am treated fair and equal where ever I go here. I have had my years of double pricing, not going to deny that. So it could be how someone looks and how someone acts with speaking Thai is how Thai will see and treat the foreigner.

But as I have been to eat at these Phuket seafood gouge the foreigner traps before, I do not really think this BS attitude will ever change there no matter how immersed one is. Sometimes I get a kick out of the Thai trying to speak English with my 20 year old son and then he answers them in Thai. 

Reason #859859785 why I dont go to the south and stay up north....and eat and pay same as locals

• Like 3

Yeah, but putting them out of business right now means one less place to eat in an already bare landscape in addition to saving a few jobs. It would be much more productive to take this information, talk to the person out front with the menu, and explain why you won't be dining with them tonight. I would guess that a "manager's special" might be available.

The whole western outrage thing has always puzzled me. Many tourists wouldn't mind 1800 a kilo - if it's just part of a vacation. Longer term stayers should be on the lookout for this and have adapted their technique. Might take a time or two, but once you're recognized and develop a bit of a relationship a lot of doors start to open.

Right now, we all know, things are a bit further away from normal than anybody would like. The places that are still open are staying open because their fingernails stick to glass somehow. I'd suggest, for those who are able, to spend a bit more freely and tip a bit more liberally while we all figure out what the new normal is.

Well then, please do tell us where YOUR money to subsidize the disgusting behavior is available so that people can use your money for the price difference. We'll see how long before you decide it's disgusting behavior. I pay Thai taxes already, which is probably more than most Thais do. 

Well then, please do tell us where YOUR money to subsidize the disgusting behavior is available so that people can use your money for the price difference. We'll see how long before you decide it's disgusting behavior. I pay Thai taxes already, which is probably more than most Thais do. 

"Disgusting"? Really? "Unethical" I could get behind. "Predatory", even. "Disgusting" I would reserve for changing diapers.

But, really, everybody here rather strongly bitching and moaning about being taken advantage of and forced to "subsidize" FUTS pricing; why do you allow it to happen? What's forcing you to stay in or visit Thailand? Serious question. I know if I ever felt that strongly about something, I'd beat feet.

Reason #859859785 why I dont go to the south and stay up north....and eat and pay same as locals

If you step sideways you are also privileged to get the southern explosive attitude as well. To be honest, outside of those douche ream restaurants down there, we were able to buy some fresh cheap seafood a couple times. Been years and years since going there, so maybe one day a new trip might be in the cards. Or maybe not as been there, done that.

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2021 at 2:14 AM, JamesE said:

Might be. Desperation will drive people to try things they might not normally expect to succeed. Like the kid who was selling apples for $100 when all the others were selling for 10 cents said: "Yeah. But I only have to sell one."

It is easier to find 100 people willing to buy an apple at 10c, than it is to find 5 people willing to buy an apple at $100 IMO.  I guess refusing to buy at unfair prices would get the message across eventually.

• Like 1

This sort of thing can be avoided by eating only from  hamburger stands and chicken/rice and 7-11. ?

I never get ripped off, never get food poisoning,  every meal is what I expected it to be at the same price I paid yesterday and it's done in 15 minutes.   Every once in a while I have to endure one of those tedious do it yourself barbecue places but most of the time I just pay the girl extra to go without me.   

Edited by KWOG

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2021 at 11:38 PM, TobyAndrews said:

I have debated all this before with Stonker. I do not wish to repeat the same.

I will just write this. In the UK the British tax payer pays for all the museums, all the state attractions, every thing that might be classed as an attractions, yet Thais do not pay any more than a British subject does.

All the private entertainment enterprises do not charge Thais more than the British.

For certain matters Thais can even use our National Health Service free.

Now please I do not want to go into a long justification of what I have posted. You check and you will find I am correct.

I believe what you say about the UK.  But in America, the locals sure as heck pay less than tourists for a variety of goods and services.  This is more pronounced in tourist-heavy places like Hawaii, Las Vegas, NYC, etc.  National parks, golfing, theme parks, etc.  In Hawaii, certain restaurants would give you a discount if you're local.  A foreign college student would pay significantly more than an American student. And so on.  So as others have said, dual pricing in not unique to Thailand.  

On 7/28/2021 at 10:48 PM, TobyAndrews said:

Yes some scams are out there, but they are nowhere near the extent Thais scams.

In Thailand it is official. With National parks. Hospitals. State owned attractions such as the Grand Palace.

There is no worst place in the world. I have been to Mexico. I have been to Morocco. They scam but not nearly as high as Thailand.

Although that doesn't qualify as being a scam , a scam is a deceptive or a fraudulent act and because they tell you the full price before you purchase , then its not a scam .

Many Countries offer discounts for locals and full price for non locals

Many also have no problem ripping off Thais if the opportunity presents itself it's just you have more money and are a sure thing.

I am actually still amazed that more Thais don't do the same.  Many are honest particularly considering the low incomes most have.

Edited by billywillyjones

• 4 months later...
On 7/27/2021 at 8:12 AM, Spinner said:

Have lived in Phuket for over 20 years with my Thai wife

Went to dinner tonight at the Gypsy Seafood village and had a very good seafood dinner . Good quality snd service. 

I was however disappointed when we bought our prawns to see that the king prawns were listed at several stalls at 1800 baht per kG ! 

When my wife questioned the price she was told that the price for Thais was 550 baht per kilo .

The attitude towards Farangs and Tourists continues to be disgusting and Shame on Phuket . 

Some things never change I suppose ?

I have no problem with dual pricing. If the price is posted you knew it when you ordered. If it wasn't listed you should have asked. I've been in many restaurants where seafood is "the daily price" and is unlisted. 

Being charged a higher price isn't being "ripped off" or else every western country with higher prices is ripping us all off? Outside of Thailand I pay 400 baht for a burger (no fries, just sandwich). Starbucks, even in Thailand, charges a high price for coffee - is that ripping people off? 

If the price isnt listed it's up for haggling. Learning to haggle is what getting a fair price means. If they won't haggle and they want what you think is an unfair price you leave. They'll notice the loss of business immediately. 

If they want to discount prices for locals that's their business decision. That's not a crime. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vince said:

I have no problem with dual pricing.
{snipped}

If they want to discount prices for locals that's their business decision. That's not a crime. 

It's not a crime if it's done honestly.
It's the 'discount prices for locals' that ends up causing resentment. In Thailand it invariably means 'Thais', not just ferangs who live in Thailand.

I've known people with a permanent residence certificate who were denied 'local prices'.
I read a report of someone who gained Thai nationality, who, when showing his Thai ID card was told, "You're still a ferang."

6 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

It's not a crime if it's done honestly.
It's the 'discount prices for locals' that ends up causing resentment. In Thailand it invariably means 'Thais', not just ferangs who live in Thailand.

I've known people with a permanent residence certificate who were denied 'local prices'.
I read a report of someone who gained Thai nationality, who, when showing his Thai ID card was told, "You're still a ferang."

That's unfortunate, it may be unfair, it may breed resentment, and it may be poor business practices, but it's not a crime. 

Restaurants can give discounts to police if they want, they can give discounts to seniors, they can give free apple pie to people on their birthday.

Those are all "dual pricing schemes"

If I'm not a cop, or a senior, or a birthday celebrator I might have my feelings hurt. But that's not a crime and it's their choice. 

No one is ripped off.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vince said:

That's unfortunate, it may be unfair, it may breed resentment, and it may be poor business practices, but it's not a crime. 

Restaurants can give discounts to police if they want, they can give discounts to seniors, they can give free apple pie to people on their birthday.

Those are all "dual pricing schemes"

If I'm not a cop, or a senior, or a birthday celebrator I might have my feelings hurt. But that's not a crime and it's their choice. 

No one is ripped off.  

I suppose looking at it in the way of being aware in advance you can't get the local's price and therefore not buying, that's true.

When I ran a GoGo bar, we didn't allow Arabs or Indians in. That was a business decision. Not illegal as no one was cheated, and there's no law in Thailand regarding race discrimination.

I remember the first bar I ever went to in Thailand over thirty years ago was an upstairs bar in Patpong.
The drinks were advertised at whatever reasonable price it was then and I went in.
When I came to leave I was charged two thousand Baht for two drinks, with two menacing looking Thai heavies standing over me, so I couldn't leave without paying.
I suppose that's being ripped off.

• Like 2

Some years ago I remember a restaurant opening near to where I live so we decided to pay a visit give them a bit of support as you do, they had 2 menu's a farang one and a Thai one, I noticed it right away 25 baht difference on the prices, We stayed eat lunch but never went back even my wife didnt like it the duel pricing,

Needless to say the place didn't last long word must have got around in the local area, 

You need to be incredibly naive or gullible not to see this happening all over the world in tourist places.

I don't spend time in tourist places in Thailand so this hasn't happened to me. In fact the prices for things haven't changed at all in the years I've been coming for typical food items.

Ask the price, if you don't like it don't buy it. That's how you get the point across 

• Like 2