Phuket still ripping off Tourists

Spinner

8 minutes ago, JamesE said:

A Joke: You used "tourist and "think" together... ?

They won't worry about it at all because they won't know they're paying 3x as much.

Here's the thing. While it might be "unfair" that tourists pay the Foreigner-Unfriendly Tourist Surcharge while the greedy Thais get away with local pricing, consider that if the restaurant charged market for everybody many Thais would be priced out of going out to dinner in their own country. Or forced down-market into some western chain.

I'm pretty sure - given the growth numbers in the Before Time - that the tourists thought "Damn, that was better than Bubba Gump's in Mobile. We've got to go back there again."

And while I might care that I'm not getting ripped off, I'm more concerned that we keep cranking out people that aren't able to spot a scam when they walk right into it.

Before the tourist arrived in 1975 - the G Is, what fancy places were there? The fancy places were started for the tourists, with prices to match. Thais think they have a right to eat there at reduced prices. Also the attractions were made for the tourists. Thais think they have a right to see them at reduced prices.

As you say, if Thais had to pay what the tourists pay they could not go there, but this is a business created for tourists at high prices. Thais should pay the normal price at the business.

There are fancy restaurants in London. They charge a £100 a dinner. These restaurants are for tourists, and the rich, many of whom are not British. I do not go there and expect a discount because I am British.

You write the Thais will be forced to go to some down-market western chain. Well that's too bad. They will have to pay what the down market westerners are paying. Or they can eat off the street stalls where they ate before the tourists arrived.

All these excuses I read: they do the same in the West reminds me of the old joke. A man comes home in a rage, and shouts at his wife: "I've hear the milkman had had sex with every woman in this street except one!"

The wife replies, "Yes, I bet it is that snobby cow at number 14."

The point is, the wife thinks that as most of the street is having sex with the milkman, it is alright for her to have sex with the milkman.

The excuses the defenders of Thai scammers is similar. They claim as the whole world scams tourists, it is alright for the Thais to scam tourists.

Wrong in two ways. Thais hide the scams, and the whole world does not scam tourists.

12 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Inform every one you know, and the media.

Once the word is out they will be wondering where the foreign customers have gone.

Let us see how long they last selling at B550 a kilo. Without foreigners subsidising this business by paying B1800 a kilo the Thais will not be able to buy at B550 a kilo. All of them will be out of business.

Yes inform a thai establishment and get locked up for it Toby. You can't even complain about service without the fear of arrest.

17 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Before the tourist arrived in 1975 - the G Is, what fancy places were there? The fancy places were started for the tourists, with prices to match. Thais think they have a right to eat there at reduced prices. Also the attractions were made for the tourists. Thais think they have a right to see them at reduced prices.

As you say, if Thais had to pay what the tourists pay they could not go there, but this is a business created for tourists at high prices. Thais should pay the normal price at the business.

There are fancy restaurants in London. They charge a £100 a dinner. These restaurants are for tourists, and the rich, many of whom are not British. I do not go there and expect a discount because I am British.

You write the Thais will be forced to go to some down-market western chain. Well that's too bad. They will have to pay what the down market westerners are paying. Or they can eat off the street stalls where they ate before the tourists arrived.

All these excuses I read: they do the same in the West reminds me of the old joke. A man comes home in a rage, and shouts at his wife: "I've hear the milkman had had sex with every woman in this street except one!"

The wife replies, "Yes, I bet it is that snobby cow at number 14."

The point is, the wife thinks that as most of the street is having sex with the milkman, it is alright for her to have sex with the milkman.

The excuses the defenders of Thai scammers is similar. They claim as the whole world scams tourists, it is alright for the Thais to scam tourists.

Wrong in two ways. Thais hide the scams, and the whole world does not scam tourists.

Although I don’t think charging more for foreigners/tourists is right, no one forced the tourists to buy from them. Tourists should be aware of things like being charged more and shop elsewhere.

i think scamming should be placed in a different category though, as people specifically targeting people. Like the tea shop scam in Asia or something similar. Where they invite you to drink tea and then ask for a ridiculous price after  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vlad said:

Yes inform a thai establishment and get locked up for it Toby. You can't even complain about service without the fear of arrest.

I have done it many time in Pattaya vlad. I even marched into a bar at the head of two tourist police because they had a Karaoke going at 3:30 in the morning. My hotel was the next building.

A week later they were having another Karaoke party, paid fo by ferangs of course. I called my pals the tourist police. They came did not even speak to me, went in the bar and issued a massive fine.

I should have received a commission off that. lol

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

I have done it many time in Pattaya vlad. I even marched into a bar at the head of two tourist police because they had a Karaoke going at 3:30 in the morning. My hotel was the next building.

A week later they were having another Karaoke party, paid fo by ferangs of course. I called my pals the tourist police. They came did not even speak to me, went in the bar and issued a massive fine.

I should have received a commission off that. lol

Still the fact that you dobbed your fellow Foreigners in must surely have been adequate reward for you ?

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Still the fact that you dobbed your fellow Foreigners in must surely have been adequate reward for you ?

If my fellow foreigners had been in London having a Karaoke in London I would have done it just as quick.

Some people do exactly as they want and screw anyone else. Besides, it was a Thai bar, they would pay the fine. The ones that paid for the karaoke were just customers.

What am I suppose to do stay awake all night while the Thais make money and keep me awake. The cut off time is 2 a.m. that should have been long enough. 

They were warned first time and paid nothing. Their greed compelled them to do the same again!

Edited by TobyAndrews

6 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

If my fellow foreigners had been in London having a Karaoke in London I would have done it just as quick.

Some people do exactly as they want and screw anyone else. Besides, it was a Thai bar, they would pay the fine. The ones that paid for the karaoke were just customers.

What am I suppose to do stay awake all night while the Thais make money and keep me awake. The cut off time is 2 a.m. that should have been long enough. 

They were warned first time and paid nothing. Their greed compelled them to do the same again!

greed ?

1 minute ago, gummy said:

greed ?

Yes the karaoke was paid by felangs - no expense to the Thais, and the bar was full of people buying beer. The Thais  wanted the same again.

1 minute ago, TobyAndrews said:

Yes the karaoke was paid by felangs - no expense to the Thais, and the bar was full of people buying beer. The Thais  wanted the same again.

So you have proof who paid for it, or is it just unfounded speculation that fits your prejudiced assumptions ?

So you have proof who paid for it, or is it just unfounded speculation that fits your prejudiced assumptions ?

I'm becoming a bit tired of your nasty posts Gummy. How can you decide I have prejudiced assumptions.

I knew it was felangs that were paying because i went in on another night when I did not call the cops, and asked them nicely to stop the Karaoke. They told me a felang had paid for the karaoke.

I did not ask them to stop serving drinks. They had 4 feet speakers on the road outside the bar!

Here's another incident, object to this.

I had an apartment on the ninth floor of a condo block. next to this was a building site with work going on most of the night. Plenty were complaining but nothing was done.

One night a JCB was loading a truck at four o'clock in the morning.

I went up to the roof of the condo, 15th floors I think it was. I gave them a messages from God. I was God.

It was not pennies from heavens that was falling on them. The JCB ran off along the site while I was still giving them messages from God.

It cured them. No more all night noise. God had spoken. It is the only language that some Thais understand.

Well, it's a tourist trap by design, so far from surprising. Well, was a tourist trap, fortunately that's over and not likely to return anytime soon. ✌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

Some people just love to disrupt a party. Spoilsports. I avoid them like the plague, which in fact they are.

I am a plague am I because I do not want to be kept awake all night by a party? A spoilsport too.

Fine I will be a plague and a spoilsport and sleep at night. YOU can stay awake and not be a spoilsport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

I'm becoming a bit tired of your nasty posts Gummy. How can you decide I have prejudiced assumptions.

I knew it was felangs that were paying because i went in on another night when I did not call the cops, and asked them nicely to stop the Karaoke. They told me a felang had paid for the karaoke.

I did not ask them to stop serving drinks. They had 4 feet speakers on the road outside the bar!

Here's another incident, object to this.

I had an apartment on the ninth floor of a condo block. next to this was a building site with work going on most of the night. Plenty were complaining but nothing was done.

One night a JCB was loading a truck at four o'clock in the morning.

I went up to the roof of the condo, 15th floors I think it was. I gave them a messages from God. I was God.

It was not pennies from heavens that was falling on them. The JCB ran off along the site while I was still giving them messages from God.

It cured them. No more all night noise. God had spoken. It is the only language that some Thais understand.

So despite your drivel you have no proof. Just prejudicial nonsense to suit your argument.  If you make accusations and have no proof to support those accusations when pressed then be careful if you think people will have confidence in what you post.

So despite your drivel you have no proof. Just prejudicial nonsense to suit your argument.  If you make accusations and have no proof to support those accusations when pressed then be careful if you think people will have confidence in what you post.

Have you bothered ton read my posts? Second paragraph. I ASKED. What do you want a sworn statement?

You drink, don't you.

5 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Have you bothered ton read my posts? Second paragraph. I ASKED. What do you want a sworn statement?

You drink, don't you.

Actually no. But in English you have no proof do you ? By your own admission it was just bar stole gossip, ell we all know the type of person that believes that which frankly leaves me to believe if their was any credibility in your story at all, rather just posting in an attempt to boost your own ego. But no worries prejudicial hypocrites who make unsupported statements are simply boring so as such you too will go on my ignore list

Actually no. But in English you have no proof do you ? By your own admission it was just bar stole gossip, ell we all know the type of person that believes that which frankly leaves me to believe if their was any credibility in your story at all, rather just posting in an attempt to boost your own ego. But no worries prejudicial hypocrites who make unsupported statements are simply boring so as such you too will go on my ignore list

Huh it was not bar (stole) -stool gossip. I did not sit on a bar stool. This was from the manager. You're drunk.

Keep ignoring posters as you do and you will have no posts of others to read. Byeee

10 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well that is New York. And if they know your from California they probably won't sell to you.

Try being from New York and going to North Carolina. "Paddle faster! I hear banjo music..."

9 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Thais hide the scams, and the whole world does not scam tourists.

I made that noise again.

Try getting a taxi out of Gare-du-Nord in Paris. Try going to a Caribbean market on a day there's a cruise ship docked (hell, try going to a US market in some quaint little village), try getting a visa extension in Venezuela. The whole world scams tourists. It's called "Tourist Season" for a reason. No holds barred and no bag limits.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JamesE said:

I made that noise again.

Try getting a taxi out of Gare-du-Nord in Paris. Try going to a Caribbean market on a day there's a cruise ship docked (hell, try going to a US market in some quaint little village), try getting a visa extension in Venezuela. The whole world scams tourists. It's called "Tourist Season" for a reason. No holds barred and no bag limits.

Yes some scams are out there, but they are nowhere near the extent Thais scams.

In Thailand it is official. With National parks. Hospitals. State owned attractions such as the Grand Palace.

There is no worst place in the world. I have been to Mexico. I have been to Morocco. They scam but not nearly as high as Thailand.

5 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Yes some scams are out there, but they are nowhere near the extent Thais scams.

In Thailand it is official. With National parks. Hospitals. State owned attractions such as the Grand Palace.

There is no worst place in the world. I have been to Mexico. I have been to Morocco. They scam but not nearly as high as Thailand.

I can feel a T-shirt coming on with the text "I've been scammed in Thailand"
Think I could get 2,000 Baht each for them?

• Haha 1

Just now, Bluesofa said:

THERE another scam. lol

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Yes! Especially if you wrote it in Thai over the picture of an elephant!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

That's because all of your examples are taxpayer supported.

I get into US National Parks for free (Well it actually cost me $20) for the rest of my life. That's because I paid taxes into the system that supported those parks during my working life. A foreign tourist can't avail themselves of that deal even if they qualify on all other accounts. Is that a scam?

I pay less at hospitals because I have government sponsored health insurance that I partially paid for with taxes during my working life. The fees are cheaper than what a foreigner would pay for the same service and then my insurance pays for most of those discounted fees. Is that a scam? (Leaving aside the whole US healthcare system debate for a moment.)

What you are focusing your outrage on is everywhere, maybe the scale differs, but the concept is the same.

• Like 3