Phuket still ripping off Tourists

Spinner

Have lived in Phuket for over 20 years with my Thai wife

Went to dinner tonight at the Gypsy Seafood village and had a very good seafood dinner . Good quality snd service. 

I was however disappointed when we bought our prawns to see that the king prawns were listed at several stalls at 1800 baht per kG ! 

When my wife questioned the price she was told that the price for Thais was 550 baht per kilo .

The attitude towards Farangs and Tourists continues to be disgusting and Shame on Phuket . 

Some things never change I suppose ?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

Unfortunately Spinner they are so deeply immersed in the practice it will not be easy to rinse out .. I'm sure everyone who reads your post will have had there own experiences of it , from restaurants to taxi's to accomodation rental we are in the eyes of many fair game .. factor in the current climate and the desire to rip off must be just as if not greater .. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Spinner said:

Have lived in Phuket for over 20 years with my Thai wife

Went to dinner tonight at the Gypsy Seafood village and had a very good seafood dinner . Good quality snd service. 

I was however disappointed when we bought our prawns to see that the king prawns were listed at several stalls at 1800 baht per kG ! 

When my wife questioned the price she was told that the price for Thais was 550 baht per kilo .

The attitude towards Farangs and Tourists continues to be disgusting and Shame on Phuket . 

Some things never change I suppose ?

Perhaps you should contact Richard Barrow, he's running a campaign to highlight double pricing:
 https://2pricethailand.com/  

• Like 2

Inform every one you know, and the media.

Once the word is out they will be wondering where the foreign customers have gone.

Let us see how long they last selling at B550 a kilo. Without foreigners subsidising this business by paying B1800 a kilo the Thais will not be able to buy at B550 a kilo. All of them will be out of business.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

Inform every one you know, and the media.

Once the word is out they will be wondering where the foreign customers have gone.

Let us see how long they last selling at B550 a kilo. Without foreigners subsidising this business by paying B1800 a kilo the Thais will not be able to buy at B550 a kilo. All of them will be out of business.

Yeah, but putting them out of business right now means one less place to eat in an already bare landscape in addition to saving a few jobs. It would be much more productive to take this information, talk to the person out front with the menu, and explain why you won't be dining with them tonight. I would guess that a "manager's special" might be available.

The whole western outrage thing has always puzzled me. Many tourists wouldn't mind 1800 a kilo - if it's just part of a vacation. Longer term stayers should be on the lookout for this and have adapted their technique. Might take a time or two, but once you're recognized and develop a bit of a relationship a lot of doors start to open.

Right now, we all know, things are a bit further away from normal than anybody would like. The places that are still open are staying open because their fingernails stick to glass somehow. I'd suggest, for those who are able, to spend a bit more freely and tip a bit more liberally while we all figure out what the new normal is.

46 minutes ago, JamesE said:

The whole western outrage thing has always puzzled me. Many tourists wouldn't mind 1800 a kilo - if it's just part of a vacation. Longer term stayers should be on the lookout for this and have adapted their technique. Might take a time or two, but once you're recognized and develop a bit of a relationship a lot of doors start to open.

Absolutely 100% disagree.  Ripping people off based off of the color of their skin and nationality is disgusting behavior.  You shouldn't be willing to bend over in the name of going on 'vacation' nor have to rely on adapting your 'technique' to get fair and impartial treatment from business to business.  

How could this possibly 'puzzle' you?  This would never fly in any civilized country.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, TiT said:

How could this possibly 'puzzle' you?  This would never fly in any civilized country.

You know that sound somebody makes on TV when they "sneeze" and it sounds like they said "bulls#!t". I just made that sound. ?

Local favoritism is a global phenomenon. I used to live in Colorado. Do you think I paid the same to go skiing as some tourist from Europe? Not a chance; all of the ski areas offered local-favoritism pricing. And it was much more favorable than 550/1800. You live in some little town in the middle of nowhere and some vacationing family rolls up to the restaurant. They don't have the coupon from the local paper or Facebook group. They. Pay. More.

It happens everywhere. My favorite restaurant knows me well. Look, drinks are on the house tonight. Maybe dessert next time. They once picked up the entire tab for dinner. Just to say thanks. Those rubes from the next town? Not a chance.

My take on this is that we westerners, as a group, have this sense of fair play that is at best misguided and at worst an illusion. Then when we encounter people, who are doing the same to us as we do to others back home, we get our collective knickers in a twist.

I get what you're saying but that's not the way the world works anywhere. The way around it is to become a local. Get to know the business people you want to deal with and let them know it. Let them know what you think is fair and I bet they'll mostly agree with you. Show them you're not a tourist and maybe then they won't treat you like one. I think you'll find that things get better quickly and you might even get a free drink or two.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

It just doesn't stop it's not just the Gypsy village which I think is an overpriced dump in the past many of our guest complain how expensive it is,

I have lived in Rawai for the past 20 years Yesterday evening I stopped at a pharmacy on the main road I wanted some aspirin she said 300 baht, I said "WHAT" normally I pay less than 100 baht but not at that shop, I walked out refusing to pay that amount, 

A few weeks ago I wanted to buy a new glass for my beer in the evening so again I stopped at one of them junk shops looking around I found a pint glass that was suitable when I went to the counter asked how much in Thai bye the way she said 270 baht, you must be joking...........? again I walked out, 

I ended up buying one in Phuket Town better quality for 90 baht,

Is this the new normal? 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Is this the new normal?

Might be. Desperation will drive people to try things they might not normally expect to succeed. Like the kid who was selling apples for $100 when all the others were selling for 10 cents said: "Yeah. But I only have to sell one."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, JamesE said:

Local favoritism is a global phenomenon. I used to live in Colorado. Do you think I paid the same to go skiing as some tourist from Europe? Not a chance; all of the ski areas offered local-favoritism pricing. And it was much more favorable than 550/1800. You live in some little town in the middle of nowhere and some vacationing family rolls up to the restaurant. They don't have the coupon from the local paper or Facebook group. They. Pay. More.

Did you really just compare coupon use to double-pricing?  These are totally different things, like not even on the same wave-length.  By defending this practice, you're essentially green-lighting scams and rip-offs around the country.  You are encouraging the things that are contributing to Thailand's demise.

Do you think any of this has a favorable image on Thailand when people go home and tell all their friends they were overcharged and Thailand is full of cheats?  Not a chance.  No one wants to go on vacation to a budget friendly destination and pay Western-level prices just because they aren't a local, what kind of twisted thinking is that?

Sorry, I will just agree to disagree here.  Myself and many others will never agree to double-pricing as an acceptable norm nor a desirable trait in a country we want to visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Might be. Desperation will drive people to try things they might not normally expect to succeed. Like the kid who was selling apples for $100 when all the others were selling for 10 cents said: "Yeah. But I only have to sell one."

Reminds me of a beer bar complex I used to visit occasionally years ago.
I noticed one bar was selling beer at a lot higher price than the others. I asked the boss about it.
She said as it was low season they didn't have enough customers, so needed to charge more for the beer to still make money...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Reminds me of a beer bar complex I used to visit occasionally years ago.
I noticed one bar was selling beer at a lot higher price than the others. I asked the boss about it.
She said as it was low season they didn't have enough customers, so needed to charge more for the beer to still make money...

That was common practice no customers put the price up

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TiT said:

Did you really just compare coupon use to double-pricing?  These are totally different things, like not even on the same wave-length.  By defending this practice, you're essentially green-lighting scams and rip-offs around the country.  You are encouraging the things that are contributing to Thailand's demise.

Yes. Anything - anything - that favors one group over another is at least morally equivalent regardless of whether we think: "It's just a coupon" or "It's just a foreigner on vacation. They didn't care they had to pay more to get into Disneyland." I'm not defending the practice, simply pointing out that the concept isn't unique to Thailand. I also doubt that I have the influence to green-light anything. (At least according to my S.O....) And I'm definitely not  encouraging the practice. You want to place blame for that? Start with immigration at the airport, the hotels, the airlines. Every step that every tourist takes to come into Thailand should be screaming "WATCH OUT FOR SCAMMERS" with some helpful tips like "Yes, The Grand Palace is open." But they don't. Why not? Because they want the money to stay in Thailand as much as the scammers do.

The double pricing is capitalism at its most efficient: Identify the product, identify the market(s), and charge whatever that market(s) will bear. Whether it's coupons or foreigner-unfriendly targeted surcharges (FUTS! I like it! I'm claiming that as mine!), it's all part of the same game.

But yes, we can disagree, you can hold onto your indignation and I can go have fun playing the game. ?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Yes. Anything - anything - that favors one group over another is at least morally equivalent regardless of whether we think: "It's just a coupon" or "It's just a foreigner on vacation. They didn't care they had to pay more to get into Disneyland." I'm not defending the practice, simply pointing out that the concept isn't unique to Thailand. I also doubt that I have the influence to green-light anything. (At least according to my S.O....) And I'm definitely not  encouraging the practice. You want to place blame for that? Start with immigration at the airport, the hotels, the airlines. Every step that every tourist takes to come into Thailand should be screaming "WATCH OUT FOR SCAMMERS" with some helpful tips like "Yes, The Grand Palace is open." But they don't. Why not? Because they want the money to stay in Thailand as much as the scammers do.

The double pricing is capitalism at its most efficient: Identify the product, identify the market(s), and charge whatever that market(s) will bear. Whether it's coupons or foreigner-unfriendly targeted surcharges (FUTS! I like it! I'm claiming that as mine!), it's all part of the same game.

But yes, we can disagree, you can hold onto your indignation and I can go have fun playing the game. ?

Ive always said that, you want to stamp out corruption start at the airports 

• Like 1

That is not double pricing, that is bend over ream and take it gouging. If they think that is ok to do, then they should charge only people on vacation, all people even the Thai who can afford to go on vacation. Disgusting but for Phuket this is so par for the course at some of their seafood restaurants. Had it happen to me my Thai family there 18 - 19 years ago and all we could do is be ticked off and then get out of there. Ruined the dinner. 

• Like 1

Until this place gets rid of the upper levels of corruption and appoints people who will work for a fair wage and do an honest job then there is little chance this issue will get sorted.

The rip off restaurants, tuk tuk and cab drivers, etc don't have to fear any consequences from over pricing Farang as it's almost Government sanctioned (National Park entrance fee spring to mind). 

The only way I've avoided it so far is when in doubt my Thai girlfriend does the talking and if she's not happy we walk way after she leaves them with some choice words of wisdom.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, yetanother said:

agreed, however to most thai, we are all here as tourists, no matter how long we have lived here

I think in certain areas and places as especially Phuket has always been a big tosser loser. For me, that generalization may be the case for me a long time ago, but in many ways now I see that I am treated fair and equal where ever I go here. I have had my years of double pricing, not going to deny that. So it could be how someone looks and how someone acts with speaking Thai is how Thai will see and treat the foreigner.

But as I have been to eat at these Phuket seafood gouge the foreigner traps before, I do not really think this BS attitude will ever change there no matter how immersed one is. Sometimes I get a kick out of the Thai trying to speak English with my 20 year old son and then he answers them in Thai. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here is a small piece of advice use if you want. When in a Thai Restaurant ( any restaurant that you know is not price fixed ie. major hotels , pizza company and the like) Ask for the Thai menu use that to order from you will see the proper price. In reality let your significant other order or tell you where to point. 

As the saying goes dont worry be happy. A bad memory will help that

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TiT said:

Absolutely 100% disagree.  Ripping people off based off of the color of their skin and nationality is disgusting behavior.  You shouldn't be willing to bend over in the name of going on 'vacation' nor have to rely on adapting your 'technique' to get fair and impartial treatment from business to business.  

There was tons of videos on the news of hot dog stand charging tourists like $20 a hotdog in New York City and locals $1 Although it’s technically illegal now and food stands are required to have prices, many don’t. 

If you don’t like they’re prices, don’t buy from them, that’s what I do. The big corps like tescos, big c, McDonald’s and kfc will happily take anyone’s money and charge the same price for all

Edited by dj230
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JamesE said:

Yeah, but putting them out of business right now means one less place to eat in an already bare landscape in addition to saving a few jobs. It would be much more productive to take this information, talk to the person out front with the menu, and explain why you won't be dining with them tonight. I would guess that a "manager's special" might be available.

Right now, we all know, things are a bit further away from normal than anybody would like. The places that are still open are staying open because their fingernails stick to glass somehow. I'd suggest, for those who are able, to spend a bit more freely and tip a bit more liberally while we all figure out what the new normal is.

I would not mind the new normal if it was a continuation of the old normal which is ripping foreigners off.

As an expat you will have special treatment, but just because you are not ripped off does not justify the Thais ripping the tourists off. Your attitude is well, they are not ripping me off, so I do not care.

Your puzzlement confuses me. Do you seriously think that a tourist will accept paying B1800 a kilo when a Thai pays B550? Will they think, well I am on holiday and so accept paying over twice what a Thai pays.?

I doubt it. They will think this place is crooked I am not eating here again.

The Thais think they are clever, but with mass communication, the new western victims will become less, and their tricky oriental ways will be thwarted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The best thing that happened in Thailand for the foreigner was the coming of the Seven/Elevens.

Seven/Elevens displayed prices, and they were the same for everyone. Thais tried not to display prices, in order to charge foreigners more. Seven/Elevens, stopped this racket.

Sad for the Thais I know, but try as I may I cannot feel sorry for them . . .

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Do you seriously think that a tourist will accept paying B1800 a kilo when a Thai pays B550? Will they think, well I am on holiday and so accept paying over twice what a Thai pays.?

A Joke: You used "tourist and "think" together... ?

They won't worry about it at all because they won't know they're paying 3x as much.

Here's the thing. While it might be "unfair" that tourists pay the Foreigner-Unfriendly Tourist Surcharge while the greedy Thais get away with local pricing, consider that if the restaurant charged market for everybody many Thais would be priced out of going out to dinner in their own country. Or forced down-market into some western chain.

13 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

They will think this place is crooked I am not eating here again.

I'm pretty sure - given the growth numbers in the Before Time - that the tourists thought "Damn, that was better than Bubba Gump's in Mobile. We've got to go back there again."

And while I might care that I'm not getting ripped off, I'm more concerned that we keep cranking out people that aren't able to spot a scam when they walk right into it.

1 hour ago, dj230 said:

There was tons of videos on the news of hot dog stand charging tourists like $20 a hotdog in New York City and locals $1 Although it’s technically illegal now and food stands are required to have prices, many don’t. 

If you don’t like they’re prices, don’t buy from them, that’s what I do. The big corps like tescos, big c, McDonald’s and kfc will happily take anyone’s money and charge the same price for all

Well that is New York. And if they know your from California they probably won't sell to you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamesE said:

You know that sound somebody makes on TV when they "sneeze" and it sounds like they said "bulls#!t". I just made that sound. ?

It happens everywhere. My favorite restaurant knows me well. Look, drinks are on the house tonight. Maybe dessert next time. They once picked up the entire tab for dinner. Just to say thanks. Those rubes from the next town? Not a chance.

My take on this is that we westerners, as a group, have this sense of fair play that is at best misguided and at worst an illusion. Then when we encounter people, who are doing the same to us as we do to others back home, we get our collective knickers in a twist.

I get what you're saying but that's not the way the world works anywhere. The way around it is to become a local. Get to know the business people you want to deal with and let them know it. Let them know what you think is fair and I bet they'll mostly agree with you. Show them you're not a tourist and maybe then they won't treat you like one. I think you'll find that things get better quickly and you might even get a free drink or two.

Truth. Unpalatable as it is. Such is life.

• Like 2

I have a question the majority of the comments seem to be related to Thai owned places. Does this mean you all believe that the western owned places do not do this. do you also believe that some of the local entertainers are not paid a commission by some western owned places with double pricing to bring the new found very sexy man from soi bangla. 

Edited by triplebogey
  • Like 2