Sinovac/AstraZeneca highly effective, according to Thai research

Thaiger

Today, Thailand’s Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology from the Faculty of Medicine of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, says a vaccine cocktail of Sinovac/AstraZeneca is “highly effective”. Controversial doctor Yong Poovorawan says 2 doses of the inactivated virus vaccine can help “immunity rise to an average level of 100 units”. Further, if 2 doses of the vector vaccine are administered only 10 weeks apart, the immune system will shoot up to 900 units. However, if the vaccines are alternated, the inactivated virus and then the vector virus selection at 3 to 4 week intervals… the patient will have a high […]

The post Sinovac/AstraZeneca highly effective, according to Thai research appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

That's great news if only there were vaccines to use . 

I'm sure someone somewhere will be pleased but sadly for most of us it's pointless information as we cant get one let alone two different  vaccines to keep us from harm 

• Like 4

Worth noting that the controversial Dr Wong avoided quoting the benchmark for a vaccine's efficacy, namely its percentage likelihood of success. The report merely mentions his stating that the cocktail causes the 'the immune system will shoot up to 900 units'.

All very well, good doctor, if only that stat enabled fair and ready comparison of this cocktail against other, non-Sinovac mixes.

• Like 3

I suppose with "units" he means the antibody count. Which is a good thing to know, but it does not matter on the long run.

Did he checked if the memory cells maintained the genetic information of such antibodies? I doubt it.

Otherwise, it is like to have many soldiers at the beginning, but without a system to sustain an army afterwards.

Besides, I saw some Ab analyses from people who got Pfizer in Europe, in some cases their Ab count exceeded 6000 BAU/mL (baseline 33 BAU/mL with the LIAISON CLIA assay).

Edited by uanmak
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, uanmak said:

I suppose with "units" he means the antibody count. Which is a good thing to know, but it does not matter on the long run.

Did he checked if the memory cells maintained the genetic information of such antibodies? I doubt it.

Otherwise, it is like to have many soldiers at the beginning, but without a system to sustain an army afterwards.

Besides, I saw some Ab analyses from people who got Pfizer in Europe, in some cases their Ab count exceeded 6000 BAU/mL (baseline 33 BAU/mL with the LIAISON CLIA assay).

Obviously, he is not the scientist that you are. Perhaps his Google finger has an issue, eh?

Even the Chinese have come clean and said the Sinovac is less than optimal and should be taken with another vaccine. I was calling Sinovac dirty dishwater in the other forum and was FIRMLY taken to the wood shed. I'm sorry, but that's exactly what it is. It was thrown together too quickly, not vetted properly, and has been shown to be the worst choice available - other than no vaccine at all.

• Like 2

Problem is Other Countries not recognise it. I have made emails to Australian Minister of health who failed to reply on the Subject along with New South Wales health who simply replied as a Australian returning to Australia is ok under the current system I would do 14 days Quarantine. However departing Australia is where the grey area is as it is not a Australian recognised vaccine schedule.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat said:

Even the Chinese have come clean and said the Sinovac is less than optimal and should be taken with another vaccine. I was calling Sinovac dirty dishwater in the other forum and was FIRMLY taken to the wood shed. I'm sorry, but that's exactly what it is. It was thrown together too quickly, not vetted properly, and has been shown to be the worst choice available - other than no vaccine at all.

Oh they have, have they? Do show us the research paper in an attachment? Including the part quoting 'dirty dishwater.'

2 hours ago, Poolie said:

Obviously, he is not the scientist that you are. Perhaps his Google finger has an issue, eh?

And this is not even my main field of expertise. ?

Edited by uanmak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now assuming that the cocktail of vaccines was not effective do you really believe that you would be informed?  How would the Thai people react if the vaccines were truly ineffective and the government told them that.  Perhaps these vaccines are very effective in combination and I certainly hope they are.  However, I will withhold my judgement until the world community also joins in and validates it. 

Thai research and science also has people in hazmat suits and trucks going around spraying god knows what into the air, on trees, power poles and streets to "stop" the spread of covid!  Thai advice on this subject is fundamentally weak to the point of being pathetic!

• Like 2

have working vaccine ? why not give ? because then lockdown ends, but this is the goal ?
have working mask and stay often at home works ?? why have more and more infected people ? most people in world, not know personally, 1 or more, cor ona deaths.

lockdown based on, talk and repeat,
of sick people, called cor ona infected, for to have infected numbers.
and some people in world, still not see, most sick people, are not sicker than in single years before.

in some country, you get, so called freedom, when vaccinated, and every year.
because all people in world, can get and give to next person, so called viruses.
you all, will wear mask, forever ?

and "people who decide much", never solved, 1 or more, of big problems,
poverty with war, low education with respect and diseases,
but gave many billions usd for research, over many years.  i still should trust "these" people?

Edited by think-and-ask

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

Darlings! OMFG! Dr. Yong....!!! Many year's ago, a famous TV producer by the name of Gerry Anderson came up with the idea of using puppets to make amazing kids TV shows; Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90 etc. This man has resurrected the role of the evil guy in Thunderbirds....if you look closely at the photo you can see the nylon strings used to make him move, with the puppet "master" none other than PRIME MINISTER PRAYUTH!!! The evil Doctor Yong!!! 

ha ha your thinking of The Hood lol.

• Like 1

If the intent was to reassure the public and to build confidence, the gentleman has failed. The information as provided is truthful, but it is neither helpful nor presented in the appropriate context. Because the public is aware that the Chinese vaccine is significantly less effective than the new mRNA based vaccines and that the Astra Zeneca vaccine will not provide full protection, the public will not listen. Instead, they will reject the information and many will hesitate to take the  vaccine(s).

The lack of clarity and the  inability to deliver a transparent and honest message is what undermines the  vaccine effort. It's not a failing  exclusive of Thailand, but is seen all over the world. Governments are so afraid of being honest about the vaccines and their limitations that they offer doublespeak and babble. 

• Like 1

Didn't we see a report of how effective Sinovak is. So the minister in charge said we are that confident we have bought enough to inoculate the population.  Then we got please do not purchase this Chinese Vaccine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, uanmak said:

Your post is useful, Comrade. You need to cite your sources to truly make a difference.

You might want to consider who your audience is. You might want to consult The Chicago Manual of Style before you open your mouth and speak what is going to be unintelligible drivel to the people here. 

That said, I agree with you, Comrade.

• Haha 3

Would we ever see the PM and his cronies opt for a mix of AZ and Sin,, I very much doubt it . He was so proud to show off when he had the  AZ for publicity stunt , now let him lead by example !!

• Like 1