Ministry of Education seeks 21.6 billion education subsidy

Thaiger

Tomorrow, Thailand’s Ministry of Education will submit a proposal to Cabinet for approval of a 21.6 billion baht to subsidise education costs. The figure comes from 2,000 baht a student in elementary/vocations education systems. The education subsidy is to help reduce the financial strain on parents that have developed as a result of Covid. The proposal came up yesterday in a meeting that was chaired by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, says Minister Trinuch Thienthong. The educational subsidy is for parents and can be spent as the parents see fit, whether on tuition fees, Wi-Fi, or electricity bills. Trinuch says state runs […]

The post Ministry of Education seeks 21.6 billion education subsidy appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

50 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The educational subsidy is for parents and can be spent as the parents see fit, whether on tuition fees, wi-fi or electricity bills.

Or food, petrol, Regency, Chang, or anything else.

A good idea and justifiable, but hardly an education subsidy.

Hello Chris my wife is a school director, i have just spoken to her, she thinks it could be helpful to the children at her school... School role 110 children.

If you want to take this further you can contact me by PM.

I was waiting for this... airlines, restaurants, now schools. Massage salons next i guess, because cock fighting rings will be opened pretty soon as it's an essential business in Thailand

"The educational subsidy is for parents and can be spent as the parents see fit.."

Which means it's not an "educational subsidy". If it was paid directly to the schools, suppliers,  etc., in the form of grants or fee reduction, then it would be for education.

This is nothing more than free money for families (and I'll admit many of them probably need it) but it shouldn't be cloaked as an "education subsidy".  It isn't.

22 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Tomorrow, Thailand’s Ministry of Education will submit a proposal to Cabinet for approval of a 21.6 billion baht to subsidise education costs. The figure comes from 2,000 baht a student in elementary/vocations education systems. The education subsidy is to help reduce the financial strain on parents that have developed as a result of Covid. The proposal came up yesterday in a meeting that was chaired by PM Prayut Chan-o-cha, says Minister Trinuch Thienthong. The educational subsidy is for parents and can be spent as the parents see fit, whether on tuition fees, Wi-Fi, or electricity bills. Trinuch says state runs […]

The post Ministry of Education seeks 21.6 billion education subsidy appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The Thai Ministry of Education needs to look at new ways of teaching that can enable the Thai teachers that they have to deliver their teaching of English in a way that Thai children can learn effectively and efficiently from. Ways such as using games technology that uses English speaking and empowers the teachers with additional teaching skills. Also they need to investigate ways that online learning can be delivered effectively and in a manner that children are happy with. Online teaching really can be better than face to face rote learning - Covid-19 has given us an opportunity to learn this. The subsidy needs to be focused on things that can make a real difference.

3 hours ago, ChriswThailand said:

The Thai Ministry of Education needs to look at new ways of teaching that can enable the Thai teachers that they have to deliver their teaching of English in a way that Thai children can learn effectively and efficiently from. Ways such as using games technology that uses English speaking and empowers the teachers with additional teaching skills. Also they need to investigate ways that online learning can be delivered effectively and in a manner that children are happy with. Online teaching really can be better than face to face rote learning - Covid-19 has given us an opportunity to learn this. The subsidy needs to be focused on things that can make a real difference.

I am not an educationist but why would the Thais need to look at new ways of teaching English, other than new ways for themselves perhaps ? All they would need to do is copy Singapore's or Malaysia's English teaching programme surely as both these countries have very high levels of English language education. Have I missed the obvious perhaps ?

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Have I missed the obvious perhaps ?

Yes.

English is the main language in Singapore and officially the main language of instruction for all school subjects (except languages), and it's the second official language in Malaysia.

I agree , you are totally correct. Also, Thailand does not have the resources to afford Native Speaking Teachers and it methods of rote teaching do nothing to help children. The Thai Education Curriculum does not not even mention Phonics, the main way of learning to read backed by the UK government. Then there is the farce of what Thailand calls online teaching and DSTV. I would say that Thailand has a lot to fix in its teaching methods.