Phuket “car mob” protest demands the removal of PM, calls for mRNA vaccines

Thaiger

Hundreds of cars and motorcycles drove through Phuket in a so-called “car mob” rally, calling for the resignation of PM Prayut Chan-o-cha and the procurement of mRNA Covid-19 vaccines. Many have criticised the Thai government as it grapples with the most severe wave of Covid-19, a limited supply of vaccines and the emergence of the highly transmissible Delta variant. Earlier this month, red shirt activist Sombat Boonngarm-anong held a massive car protest in Bangkok. People honked horns as they drove through the city to put pressure on government coalition parties to oust the prime minister. The Red Shirt political movement […]

The post Phuket “car mob” protest demands the removal of PM, calls for mRNA vaccines appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Can't blame them .. those in charge of this fiasco have a lot to answer for and everyday the buffoonery continues the more ordinary folk are getting ground down with it as their livelihoods disappear down the toilet .. 

• Like 4

Will need maybe 3 million countrywide to do this all over but be under no illusion it will not be without tears, this regime will respond to deadly tactics to maintain their elevated status, corruption and depravity .

3 minutes ago, Faraday said:

More power to them.

Demand number 2, the first part won't go down well though.

It seems a bit odd, the two things they've lumped together under number two.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

Those in power are nothing but a conglomeration of number twos 

3 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Perhaps they could have excluded one of the demands, & made it into a chant using 3 part rhetoric?

It is odd, why not four demands; which is what it is..

Not used to protesting I would imagine.

18 minutes ago, gummy said:

Will need maybe 3 million countrywide to do this all over but be under no illusion it will not be without tears, this regime will respond to deadly tactics to maintain their elevated status, corruption and depravity .

Normally when government structures like the one in Thailand come under pressure they initially look for scapegoats. Often this is minority groups or outsiders such as “dirty Farang” or migrant workers in order to unify people. If that doesn’t work they then either crackdown very hard on decent or they employ a diversionary option such as war. The second option isn’t practical in Thailand, so look out folks…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Normally when government structures like the one in Thailand come under pressure they initially look for scapegoats. Often this is minority groups or outsiders such as “dirty Farang” or migrant workers in order to unify people. If that doesn’t work they then either crackdown very hard on decent or they employ a diversionary option such as war. The second option isn’t practical in Thailand, so look out folks…

Well that's well known already . Student uprising 1973 - 71 murdered by the Thai army, 1976 -Thammasat University - 46 murdered by Thai army and police, 1992, Bangkok - 52 murdered by the Thai army,2010 -87 murdered by the Thai army including a nurse in a Wat attending to the injured

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well that's well known already . Student uprising 1973 - 71 murdered by the Thai army, 1976 -Thammasat University - 46 murdered by Thai army and police, 1992, Bangkok - 52 murdered by the Thai army,2010 -87 murdered by the Thai army including a nurse in a Wat attending to the injured

They got off quite lightly all things considered. Read up on the NED if you're concerned.  See where the real blame lies.

Good, good, good. I suspect the civil disobedience is just starting. So many broken souls out there. So many families utterly wrecked by carelessness, recklessness, malfeasance, incompetence, selective application of restrictions, and shutdown after shutdown, when the spread was allowed by poor policy, and poor planning. 

This is only the beginning. The youth WILL prevail over the dinosaurs. It has to happen. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Can't blame them .. those in charge of this fiasco have a lot to answer for and everyday the buffoonery continues the more ordinary folk are getting ground down with it as their livelihoods disappear down the toilet .. 

Agreed 100 %.

• Like 2

It is likely hundreds of thousands have packed up and gone home, from Bangkok, Samui, Phuket, Krabi, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai. For many, the near future looks very dim. Tourism is not returning anytime soon, and most know that, despite what the goons continue spouting on about.

Nobody knows how high unemployment is right now. I suspect it is over 30% nationwide. Alot of hurt right now. Alot of pain for the locals. I really feel for them. Where is the hope? Where is the promise of a rosy tomorrow? What is the future of the nation? 

Seven years of regression, combined with a stunning degree of mismanagement, ineptitude, lack of vision, and inability to even get the vaccine program right, is leading to alot of desperation at this time.

• Like 3

I know, I know, I know. I should have reacted when the outbreak happened back in December, and done the right thing by shutting down that area in Samut. 

I know. I should have taken the vaccine thing more seriously. I know, I should have had a more qualified health minister. I know, my pathological fear of the optics of a lockdown are causing many more cases than need be. And I know, I should have been more diligent with the borders, I should have cracked down on corrupt immigration officials, and kept my promise to fight corruption, and I should have and could have done better.

Do you want me to resign now? I know what is what you are thinking. I probably should. It sure would be the right thing to do.

I sympathise with the protestors. Every week the prospect of them having to go fishing, farming, and picking up cans becomes more realistic.

Will they be able to afford to run those motorcycles in two months time, or will they have to resort to walking, healthy I know, but rather slow on their way to the fields to plant rice. Tragic, but remember the good old days while sitting around your campfires, because the electricity is shut off. Remember when you made more money scamming a tourist on one run from the airport, that you do now all week dragging nets over the side on the fishing boat. Heart breaking . . .

You had it good, better than you should, but the felangs don't come now, go and milk the cow, if you have one, and smile, smile, smile.

• Like 1

Feel bound to say fair play to Thaiger for this article. Seems much more  direct, with less pulled punches, than most of what is making it online as news re Thailand, both here and elsewhere.

?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gummy said:

Exactly but this time many starving and lost their business or jobs. As you have a Thaifamily, too get a bit information how they think and feel at the moment or how the young generation thinks and the majority think already that they destroyed their future or lifes. There are many finish their university or Bachelor but all the companies not hire but reduce their staff because of the situation and I think everybody can imagine how they all feel now. And from the older we hear often they had to retire early because they lost their businesses or jobs and so on...

The source article in Phuket News had a little more detail. The most telling bit for me was a representative of the protest group saying "the government had initiated the Phuket Sandox project to stimulate the economy yet any income received thus far has not been distributed fairly or evenly and instead only finds its way back to the same group of “capitalists”"

You get the sense that living conditions and prospects are now so awful that people are getting to the end of their tether. That kind of rage doesn't dissipate easily.

• Like 5

When is the next election ! I'm sure the opposition parties will have sharpen their wits and learned a thing or two to prevent the last elections shenanigan's by the infamous ruling party !

39 minutes ago, riclag said:

When is the next election ! I'm sure the opposition parties will have sharpen their wits and learned a thing or two to prevent the last elections shenanigan's by the infamous ruling party !

Well it will take a 75% majority to remove  the military appointed senators and other lackeys. Whilst it is theoretically possible the election commission and judges who are "well looked after" will work overtime to disenfranchise anybody they see fit as a viable opponent.

13 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Darlings...I wonder if your PM ever reads news forums like this one? 

I recognise that writing style, you were on the other forum I believe but under a female pseudonym, of course I could be wrong ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

Darlings...I wonder if your PM ever reads news forums like this one? 

if he was smart he would do. He would read all forums Thai and ferangs, but he is not smart.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Good, good, good. I suspect the civil disobedience is just starting. So many broken souls out there. So many families utterly wrecked by carelessness, recklessness, malfeasance, incompetence, selective application of restrictions, and shutdown after shutdown, when the spread was allowed by poor policy, and poor planning. 

This is only the beginning. The youth WILL prevail over the dinosaurs. It has to happen. 

Usually they simply outlive them, then get into positions of power themselves, with expanding  opportunity for graft  and become just as corrupted. 

How times have changed. When I was in Patong, it was Suthep's yellow shirt mob who held sway. Seizing the airport, sweeping all opposed to a coup out of the way and engaging in strong arm tactics. Anyone who  objected was assumed to be a  "redshirt". Foreigners who sympathized were called communists. The protesters are not the old redshirt north eastern migrant workers, but are the children of locals, locals who had probably turned out in 2004 to support the yellow shirts.  Now that the locals have experienced some the insecurity and hardship, they are less willing to support the military rule. 

IMO, it is a waste of their time to protest like this, Instead, they should go home and  hold their parents and older relatives who supported the  original coup, responsible. Remind them every day that what is happening now is their responsibility. Tell their parents and elders to go and fix the mess they supported, encouraged, allowed.