English Premier League 2021/2022 Season

Lowseasonlover

I see Steve Bruce is still the manager of Newcastle after all the tripe the press have said this week, I hope he gets a good win against Spurs this week.

His first game as manager for Newcastle was against Spurs which he won, 

• Like 1

Just now, Lowseasonlover said:

I see Steve Bruce is still the manager of Newcastle after all the tripe the press have said this week, I hope he gets a good win against Spurs this week.

Agreed. A good bloke and under tremendous pressure. Isn’t it his 1000th game as a manager?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Agreed. A good bloke and under tremendous pressure. Isn’t it his 1000th game as a manager?

I agree with you and it will be a shame if he goes. Another manager I liked, and was well liked almost everywhere is Claudio Ranieri who has just joined Watford. Mind you he has  tough ask today for his first home game with them against Liverpool.

16 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Yep

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Another manager I liked, and was well liked almost everywhere is Claudio Ranieri who has just joined Watford. Mind you he has  tough ask today for his first home game with them against Liverpool.

It was a sad day when Leicester gave him the boot. The Liverpool game will almost be a free hit for him. Anything better than 3-0 should be okay. Then again, this is the Watford owners we are talking about 😆

32 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

It was a sad day when Leicester gave him the boot. The Liverpool game will almost be a free hit for him. Anything better than 3-0 should be okay. Then again, this is the Watford owners we are talking about 😆

Sarr ripped Jurgen Klopp’s team to shreds on their last visit to Vicarage Road in February 2020, scoring twice in a 3-0 win to inflict a first Premier League defeat of the season upon the visitors.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Sorry I’m late, John. Does this mean we’re all stuck with Arsenal for week #1? 🤣😎

But seriously though, good idea. I’d be up for it👍🏻

The 7.30 Time limit was taken from another site, and was included to show the need to make the prediction in a timely fashion. Personaly, I'd prefer that the cut off time be say 1 hour before each weeks cycle of games starts.

Regarding the idea itself, if we can get half a dozen plus, so that the comps should last few games, I think it would be fun. I'm thinking we could even have a league table to be decided at the end of the season

8 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I think it's only a matter of time before SB is gone, not because he's a bad manager, but because the people who he now works for, will demand instant success.

I'm not sure how much he will be allowed to spend under FFPR, but if he lasts long enough to get the club chequebook in his hands, he needs to deliver almost instantaneously, and the realists know that it's not that easy.

33 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I think it's only a matter of time before SB is gone, not because he's a bad manager, but because the people who he now works for, will demand instant success.

I'm not sure how much he will be allowed to spend under FFPR, but if he lasts long enough to get the club chequebook in his hands, he needs to deliver almost instantaneously, and the realists know that it's not that easy.

It was quoted he would have about 190 million pounds in January, if he's still there

11 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Anybody interested in for fun competition of "Last Man Standing".

For those who don't know it, the rules are fairly simple. Each week, you predict a team to win. If you are wrong you are eliminated. If you are correct, you carry on until you are the last man standing. You cannot choose the same team twice in any twenty game cycle.

Here is an extract of rules I've copied from another site. I've deleted the rules about 2nd/3rd place, gambing and text messages etc.

1. Just pick one winner from the Premier League match fixtures each week until elimated.
2. To progress in the competition, you must select a winning team. Draw or loss equals elimination.
3. Once selection is made, it is final.
4. You may not pick the same team twice. If same team is picked twice in competition automaticaly you will be assigned the first team alphabetically in the league provided that you have not already picked that team previously also. In which case you will be allocated the first team alphabetically you have not previously picked. 
5. Selections to be recieved no later than 7PM Friday evenings.
7. If you forget to make your selection by 7PM Friday evening, you will be assigned the first team alphabetically in the league subject to rule 4.
8. In the event of the match being cancelled or postponed, you will go through to the next round and that team is no longer available for selection.
11. In the event of all players being eliminated in any round, then all players shall be re-entered in the next round. (Whether they draw or lose)
12. Should only one player win in any round then he/she will win the competition and all other players will play out for second and third prize.
13. Should only two players qualify, then both those players will play on for first and second place and all other players will play on for third prize.

So how does one get started?

11 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

So how does one get started?

If anyone wants to help me, or is happy to leave it to me, I'll try and draft something over the next few days with a view to starting next Saturday. Not sure how to do it, but it occurs to me that it might help if "Last Man Standing" had it's own thread within Sports and Fitness so that we do not have to trawl through the PL thread looking for selections that might get missed. Perhaps a mod looking at this thread might facilitate that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

If anyone wants to help me, or is happy to leave it to me, I'll try and draft something over the next few days with a view to starting next Saturday. Not sure how to do it, but it occurs to me that it might help if "Last Man Standing" had it's own thread within Sports and Fitness so that we do not have to trawl through the PL thread looking for selections that might get missed. Perhaps a mod looking at this thread might facilitate that.

I think you are right there JinD. Need a dedicated thread and also only allow the Captain to edit it.

We could send our selection by PM. Maybe cut off time is one hour before the first of the scheduled matches.

I was in LMS in a  PaddyPower comp' a few years back and got to the last 16. Very enjoyable.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Agreed and sounds good. Go ahead and start the thread if you like John or I can do it for you. Great idea. I’m in and I’m sure there’ll be a few takers for a start next week ⚽👍🏻

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

It was quoted he would have about 190 million pounds in January, if he's still there

I am not sure what the source of the quote would be, but the Jan window is notorious for buying duds, and is more frequently used for "shoring up".

That sort of budget would buy 4-6 decent players. I can't really see Bruce attempting to integrate that many players at that stage in the season. Of course, if he's facing relegation at that time, desperate situations etc. But then again, if relegation looms large at Xmas, what are the chances of Bruce being around as you seem to imply is not certain.

5 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

There's no hiding from this schedule. will Ole be gone by Xmas?

ilTNL6g.jpg

Grim viewing for United fans. Which of these games will Ronaldo be on deck for I wonder? 

9 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Agreed and sounds good. Go ahead and start the thread if you like John or I can do it for you. Great idea. I’m in and I’m sure there’ll be a few takers for a start next week ⚽👍🏻

I would prefer if someone else did it, because I am inherently lazy. But how about I draught some model rules and we vote on any modifications, and then you can take it over.

@snapdragonI too was thinking about a 1 hour "in advance of first match" cut-off

I think a league table would be easy using Excel. I was think 2pts for win and, 1 for postponement 0 for loss, with perhaps a 5 point bonus for winning each series of LMS

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I would prefer if someone else did it, because I am inherently lazy. But how about I draught some model rules and we vote on any modifications, and then you can take it over.

@snapdragonI too was thinking about a 1 hour "in advance of first match" cut-off

I think a league table would be easy using Excel. I was think 2pts for win and, 1 for postponement 0 for loss, with perhaps a 5 point bonus for winning each series of LMS

All right John, I’ve kicked off the topic. Feel free to take a look and add any details. We can continue the conversation there 👍🏻

10 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

All right John, I’ve kicked off the topic. Feel free to take a look and add any details. We can continue the conversation there 👍🏻

My apologies, but is there supposed to be a link to another post by you.

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

Grim viewing for United fans. Which of these games will Ronaldo be on deck for I wonder? 

Im not even confidant about today's game against Leicester Im going 1-1 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Im not even confidant about today's game against Leicester Im going 1-1 

Vardy in good form, Maddison back on track. I just think Ronaldo will have a point to prove. “Don’t bench me again”.  2-1 United.

• Like 2

Watching Watford vs Liverpool now… as usual the early kick-off commentary is not in English… Watford have some good shape despite conceding that early goal.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

Watching Watford vs Liverpool now… as usual the early kick-off commentary is not in English… Watford have some good shape despite conceding that early goal.

Half time. Got the commentary on in the background.

• Like 1