English Premier League 2021/2022 Season

Lowseasonlover

9 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

'What's the refund policy on season tickets?': Arsenal fans FUME after 'atrocious' and 'embarrassing' performance in opening-night Brentford defeat as they insist they're ALREADY out of the top-four race

I haven't see the game or any highlights, but the stats suggest the Gunners were all over them. Just one of those days. But, in saying that I reckon Brentford will be the best of the promoted clubs.

Possession --- Bees 35% ----- Gunners 65%

Attempts on goal -- Bees 8 ----- Gunners 22

Shots on target -- Bees 3 ----- Gunners 4

Corners -- Bees 2 ----- Gunners 5

Edited by snapdragon
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

the stats suggest the Gunners were all over them.

Are there any stats for back passes? Arsenal smashed them on that front, I can promise you.

I guess it’s all about timing and what you do with the ball. Arsenal never really looked threatening and Brentford were pretty sturdy in defence when they did come foward. 

90 minutes till kick off, can’t wait!

• Like 2

Brilliant Bruno Fernandes scores an opening day HAT-TRICK as Manchester United put FIVE past a hapless Leeds at Old Trafford while Mason Greenwood and Fred also net to inflict more misery

Manchester United romped to an opening day victory after blitzing five goals beyond fierce rivals Leeds

Bruno Fernandes opened the scoring on 30 minutes after firing through Leeds goalkeeper Illan Meslier 

Paul Pogba teed up Fernandes with a deft flick and missed a glorious chance to net just minutes before 

Luke Ayling powered into the top corner to haul the visitors back level soon after the second-half restart 

But Mason Greenwood quickly restored United's lead after meeting Pogba's pass and finding the corner

Fernandes then scored twice more to complete his hat-trick, which was rounded off with a thumping shot

Fred was an unlikely name on the score sheet and added more gloss when tapping home from a cutback

• Like 2

I watched that game. Full credit to Leeds for still giving it a go. But Man U looked good. 

If Pogba plays like that every week, they’ll give the title a shake.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

I watched that game. Full credit to Leeds for still giving it a go. But Man U looked good. 

If Pogba plays like that every week, they’ll give the title a shake.

If Fred could score everyweek we will win the CL as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The big boys have all started well. Well, not City; yet. Watch out Spurs.

West Ham will win at Newcastle. They are the top 6. Order to be determined.

Chelsea, City, Leicester, WHU, Liverpool and United.

Don't think Spurs and Arsenal will cut the mustard this season.

Dark horse; Everton. Already looks bad for Norwich. Back down for then; replaced by Fulham.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

The big boys have all started well. Well, not City; yet. Watch out Spurs.

West Ham will win at Newcastle. They are the top 6. Order to be determined.

Chelsea, City, Leicester, WHU, Liverpool and United.

Don't think Spurs and Arsenal will cut the mustard this season.

Dark horse; Everton. Already looks bad for Norwich. Back down for then; replaced by Fulham.

I expected Norwich to do better than that 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

I didn't, the gap between the top 6 teams and the bottom 6 just gets wider and wider.

I fear Norwich will be in the bottom 6 but I admire their style of play and hope they stay up.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

What, against the front-footed LIV, now with a huge point to prove? A tough ask for any team.

9 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I didn't, the gap between the top 6 teams and the bottom 6 just gets wider and wider.

I fear Norwich will be in the bottom 6 but I admire their style of play and hope they stay up.

Man City flouting fair play rules again this season by the looks of things... is it really a competition when you can just buy all of the best players?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Norwich is my team and guess you may well be correct in your prediction as they are  the record holders for the number of relegations from the premier league, 5 times now.

2 minutes ago, Ubon2530 said:

Man City flouting fair play rules again this season by the looks of things... is it really a competition when you can just buy all of the best players?

Like it or not, it has always been that way......... United were regarded as the first 'money bags' club, then the likes of Abramovic, Abu Dhabi United Group etc continued the trend. 

I suppose Barcelona are an example of where it can go tits up with ridiculous salary expectations of top players like Messi.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, gummy said:

Norwich is my team and guess you may well be correct in your prediction as they are  the record holders for the number of relegations from the premier league, 5 times now.

Norwich... many a drunken evening spent in this wonderful city!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, vlad said:

Today my home team Barrow AFC play the Chimp Chokers from Hartlypool should be a home win for us and i predict a win for UTD vs Leeds.

Son of a Camel. Bought the ref as well.

• Haha 1

Watford got off to a good start also doing the Villan's 3 - 2 , leaving 2 of the 3 promoted teams with wins from their opening games which can't be bad .. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Like it or not, it has always been that way......... United were regarded as the first 'money bags' club, then the likes of Abramovic, Abu Dhabi United Group etc continued the trend. 

I suppose Barcelona are an example of where it can go tits up with ridiculous salary expectations of top players like Messi.

Tottenham under Bill Nicholson were the original 'money bags'.

What a team they assembled. Blanchflower, White, Mckay, Allen and their flying welsh wingers Medwin and Jones. Can remember those days well. I was not at the ground when the US glamour girl visited.

1329378362_JayneatSpurs.png.1a4f4c0c2ec729dd57a3e0f1d40d9917.png

The Spurs' double-winning team of that time only used 16 players (??) in the whole season.

Brown, Hollowbread, Henry, Baker, Saul, Matchie, Norman, McKay, Branchflower, Medwin, Jones, Dyson, Smith, Allen, White. One more; can't remember. Was it Dunmore?

It was so different then. The training was all based on stamina. And although players did get injured, they generally brushed it off and were willing and ready for the next game.

Pitches were often sodden mud-fields.

Have we just scored?

1342780399_JackKelsea1955big.png.57823ae8f555b5d319d771e73060c353.png

Two from 'The Bridge'.

Peter Brabrook in the mud; against Bolton (??).

1867192524_PBrabrookvRalphGubbinsBolton.jpg.0c563760b25929c13e85102cb126cecb.jpg

Tom (PNE) doing his best to shower the fans.

937218751_TomFinneyatTheBridge.jpg.79fbd52ea9f819ef9e0ac552fa15b065.jpg

Diving and play-acting had not yet arrived; Man City players brought that in 10 years later.

I was there that day. In the ground; not on the roof. If I recall; against Leeds.

Upton20Park_0.jpg.6cb4fde454c6d07c77458ac3e7e6efbd.jpg

Edited by snapdragon
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Was them the days Burnley had a good team?

Yes!

A wonderful team. Jimmy Adamson and Harry Potts! What a duo!

I can visualise they way they played even now. They would push the opposition back into the final quarter, and would play the ball back and forth across the park; waiting for the defence to be pulled out of position. No rush to waste a pass. Actually; a bit like the Spanish team at their best.

Completely different to the Spurs team of that time. They moved quickly from defence to attack; utilising the wings AMAP. Bobby Smith was the typical centre forward on the end of the crosses.

• Like 1

I got to know Ray Pointer he lived near me when he moved to Bury he didnt play for Bury long but he carried on living in the area later he did come back to Bury as a coach

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, snapdragon said:

Yes!

A wonderful team. Jimmy Adamson and Harry Potts! What a duo!

I can visualise they way they played even now. They would push the opposition back into the final quarter, and would play the ball back and forth across the park; waiting for the defence to be pulled out of position. No rush to waste a pass. Actually; a bit like the Spanish team at their best.

Completely different to the Spurs team of that time. They moved quickly from defence to attack; utilising the wings AMAP. Bobby Smith was the typical centre forward on the end of the crosses.

They had Willie Morgan

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gummy said:

I spent 7 years living in Norwich and attended most home games.........couldn't quite get hooked on them, although they tried to play decent football.

A fantastic city - and county.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I spent 7 years living in Norwich and attended most home games.........couldn't quite get hooked on them, although they tried to play decent football.

A fantastic city - and county.

You worked there ? My eldest daughter still lives there and goes to most home games.