Travelling with friend from Canada

rollie1962

A friend and I are planning to visit Thailand from Canada, either later this year or at the beginning of 2022. For booking the ASQ hotel, do each of us have to book a room separately or can we book one room for both of us?

Thanks 

Friend or "friend"? Some ASQ hotels offer connecting rooms and say "unmarried couples" in their advertising. You'll have to contact the individual hotels to see what that means to them. @NCC1701Ais spock on, err... spot on, as the rules say only married couples in a single room. In any event you'll be on the hook for two ASQ packages or a really big room and a second-person surcharge.

This is a good question. I am wanting to be in Thailand close to the same time. My situation is I want to get married then go to Dubai and Paris for honeymoon. Be that as it may, having my Thai husband on the opposite side of the door unable to join me would drive me nuts. It is what it is I suppose and no sence getting wound up about it.

On a different not, does anyone here thing the Prime Ministers decree of Thailand open for fully for tourists, will really happen? Has anyone questioned Tim Newton on his views concerning this?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenneth said:

This is a good question. I am wanting to be in Thailand close to the same time. My situation is I want to get married then go to Dubai and Paris for honeymoon. Be that as it may, having my Thai husband on the opposite side of the door unable to join me would drive me nuts. It is what it is I suppose and no sence getting wound up about it.

On a different not, does anyone here thing the Prime Ministers decree of Thailand open for fully for tourists, will really happen? Has anyone questioned Tim Newton on his views concerning this?

This is a thorny issue. Thailand does not yet recognize same sex legal unions of any kind. So you wouldn't qualify under the "official" married couples rule. But, Thailand is also a very practical place and the hotel itself might be willing to bend a few rules to make sure you stay with them. Best to ask your properties of interest.

12 hours ago, rollie1962 said:

A friend and I are planning to visit Thailand from Canada, either later this year or at the beginning of 2022. For booking the ASQ hotel, do each of us have to book a room separately or can we book one room for both of us?

Thanks 

I think you do need to book a separate room unless you're married, but things may change in a few months. Just in may they had 10 day quarantines for vaccinated travelers and it went back to 14 days

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rollie1962 said:

Thanks 

There are many Bangkok ASQ hotels that accept unmarried couples.  It seems like there's a confusion only in Phuket.

The price is almost the same for booking two rooms, I've found.

Edited by MrStretch

On 7/24/2021 at 3:11 AM, Kenneth said:

My situation is I want to get married then go to Dubai and Paris for honeymoon.

It's not clear where you want to get married, but as you're probably aware it can't be in Thailand  as Thailand has no same-sex marriages yet and the Bill for same-sex civil partnerships hasn't been passed yet - and probably won't be  until next year at the earliest.

Some overseas registered same-sex marriages / civil partnerships are now recognised by some organisations - for example some hospitals may recognise a civil partner as a next-of-kin with the same rights, and some hotels may do the same - but legally there's no requirement for them to do so.

On 7/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, JamesE said:

This is a thorny issue. Thailand does not yet recognize same sex legal unions of any kind. So you wouldn't qualify under the "official" married couples rule. But, Thailand is also a very practical place and the hotel itself might be willing to bend a few rules to make sure you stay with them. Best to ask your properties of interest.

As far as I'm aware the rule generally applied (albeit maybe not in Phuket, and not by all hotels) is that you have to either be married or to both arrive on an international flight together - so if one arrives on an international flight and one arrives domestically (is already here), or you arrive on different flights,  then you can only share ASQ if you're married.

• Like 1