18 infections today in Phuket creeps closer to 90/week threshold

Thaiger

Today saw an infection spike in new local Covid-19 cases in Phuket, crossing the daily average number that threatens the future of the Sandbox scheme. Officials had laid out several factors that could cause the Sandbox to be reconsidered or even cancelled, chief among them was if weekly infections crossed over 90 people a week. Today saw 18 new local infections as well as 2 new Sandbox arrival infections and to hit the 90 person threshold requires just an average of 13 infections a day. The rolling weekly total is inching up, with 56 new Covid-19 infections in the last […]

The post 18 infections today in Phuket creeps closer to 90/week threshold appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

9 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Get to the point .. the only spike worth mentioning is Milligan .. 

And as he said " I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine."

All they will do is change the rules anyway. Too much face for this to fail.

As is, you have to pay to get tested, then wind up in paid quarantine if you are positive, so suits them people don't bother.

Common sense would tell you that there's already over 90 if most of these are in the community. A community mostly vaccinated with Sinovac.

• Like 5

testing equals cases.  prior no testing so according to thai govt no cases lol.  it's been rampant for over a year.  fortunately it is not particularly deadly but is very contagious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artemis080 said:

All they will do is change the rules anyway. Too much face for this to fail.

As is, you have to pay to get tested, then wind up in paid quarantine if you are positive, so suits them people don't bother.

Common sense would tell you that there's already over 90 if most of these are in the community. A community mostly vaccinated with Sinovac.

Yes the goalposts are being moved as we speak I’m sure. Oh we didn’t mean 90/week. We meant 90/week on average, over whatever time period we choose.  

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Despite the 21 Sandbox travellers infected, the program has done relatively well in keeping Covid-19 at bay,

Hard to understand how you came to that conclusion.

Ten times as many have been vaccinated in Phuket, vaccinating the young and healthy in Phuket at the expense of the old and vulnerable in the rest of Thailand, and some elsewhere will undoubtedly have died as a result, and the measures to "protect" Phuket have been draconian but despite that Covid numbers are still rising.

At the same time, despite international arrivals having to be fully vaccinated and tested before arriving, the percentage testing positive and arriving infected is still considerably higher than both the Phuket and national averages so there's a net importing of Covid.

How can that be doing "relatively well"?  Relative to what - planeloads where every passenger tests positive?

• Like 1

And i see Saturday's Phuket total is 18 also, or 21 if you counted those on the sandbox scheme. 

It would be good if officials also gave a daily figure of number of tests undertaken. 'Sandboxer' mandated tests and general community tests. One suspects it's only those presenting themselves at a hospital already quite unwell who are being tested and found positive. If so, it's almost certain there are more cases on Phuket and the figure of 90 a week has been surpassed already. 

But i guess the overiding imperative is ...... lets make money, as much of it as we can.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes the goalposts are being moved as we speak I’m sure. Oh we didn’t mean 90/week. We meant 90/week on average, over whatever time period we choose.  

To true. they said about covid in 6 villages in 3 areas would close it. Now they don't show the area data.. 80% hospital beds would close it .. think the 90 a week would be before this .. they don't count tourists in this data even if they test positive after 7 days.. they will find a way for everybody to misinterpret what they set out

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

... they don't count tourists in this data even if they test positive after 7 days.

Neither, unless I'm mistaken or it's changed, do they count domestic tourists or anyone "passing through" and not-resident.

It's rather like the 70% for herd immunity, which changed from 70% of the population to 70% of the target population, which isn't even 60% and not even 50% if you allow for those in Phuket who aren't registered as residents.

• Like 1

A few months ago I was planning to go for a long period to Phuket in July as I had both jabs months ago.

But I am waiting to see what happens as things might change, I have a house to stay in, in Phuket but who knows when a future lockdown might happen, I will wait and see.

Why so many bad expectations? I can see why the Thaiger has them, they sell news and bad news sells, but everyone else should know better?

Is it schadenfreude?

To get into Phuket, tourists must be double jabbed, which in theory should cover everything. But no! In addition, they must also have a negative covid test prior to departure. Therefore, every passenger on the flight boards with full vaccination and negative test. Then they are subjected to yet another test on arrival. How is it possible to have infected people given all of that? There is really only one answer!

2 hours ago, Thaired said:

To get into Phuket, tourists must be double jabbed, which in theory should cover everything. But no! In addition, they must also have a negative covid test prior to departure. Therefore, every passenger on the flight boards with full vaccination and negative test. Then they are subjected to yet another test on arrival. How is it possible to have infected people given all of that? There is really only one answer!

... Only one answer?

Maybe they faked the papers, as at least 10% going into the UK are known to.

Maybe they had Covid, as a carrier, prior to their pre-departure test but it wasn't advanced enough to show up in the test?

Maybe they caught Covid, as a carrier, between being tested and arriving?

That's three possible and realistic answers already!