Friday Covid Update: 14,575 new cases; provincial totals

Thaiger

A record high of 14,575 new Covid-19 cases was reported today by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, raising the total case count since the start of the pandemic last year to 467,707. The latest and most severe wave of the virus in Thailand, first recorded on April 1, has accounted for 438,844 of those infections. Thailand now has 143,744 active cases.  The CCSA also reported 114 coronavirus-related fatalities, raising the pandemic’s death toll in Thailand to 3,811. Bangkok remains the epicentre with 3,104 new infections reported today. Infection rates are also high in provinces surrounding the capital with 1,067 […]

The post Friday Covid Update: 14,575 new cases; provincial totals appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Whilst these figures for new positive cases are informative, they are not particularly meaningful when only just over 8 million tests have been undertaken from a population of 69 million. Perhaps the Government would prefer not to enlighten anyone as to exactly what they are up against by not testing too many? I suspect they have merely scratched the surface which I find bizarre considering what stringent measures I witnessed first hand in Jan, Feb and March 2020 in Chiang Mai, Chiang Dao and Chiang Rai.

If the Government don't intend increasing the testing roll out at least make a more robust effort to get people vaccinated with some degree of urgency (preferably with a vaccine with a therapeutic level/% of efficacy. I can only see these figures increasing considerably before Thailand sees any improvement.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Guevara said:

If the Government don't intend increasing the testing roll out at least make a more robust effort to get people vaccinated with some degree of urgency (preferably with a vaccine with a therapeutic level/% of efficacy. I can only see these figures increasing considerably before Thailand sees any improvement.

Agree. Phuket doesn't have any testing other than you going to a hospital and paying for it. So, the true numbers in the sandbox will never be known, and that would seem to suit everyone just fine really...

What could go wrong with an island vaccinated with sinovac that had to overnight fudge the resident figures to even make it look like half the people had been jabbed. 

• Like 1

It would be really handy and put things in perspective, if they were to list ages and underlying health problems along with their daily statistics. 

Would be nice to show numbers per 1,000 of population, cause without it, numbers mean nothing. Largest numbers are in Bangkok, 3,104 per 10,539,000 people, but 516 in Rayong with roughly 723,316 people.

this gives us:

Bangkok: 0.295/1,000 people

Rayong:  0.713/1,000 people... and we can do it for every red zone.

Not to mention testing, after all those people lining up in BKK for useless testing, most of them got infections in the line anyways

*population numbers are not recent ones and i am not good in math as you know

• Like 2