Pro-choice women struggle against spiritual detractors

Thaiger

Starting in February, women who sought an abortion could legally get one, in the first trimester. However, pro-choice activist Supecha Baotip says women still encounter discrimination in the form of spiritual objections. Supecha says that many nurses and doctors do not want to assist women who want help, despite the procedure’s legality. She says it’s “more than just a feeling. It’s about belief on the spiritual level”. Other Southeast Asian countries also face religious hurdles. Indonesia is predominantly Islamic, which opposes abortions. The Philippines, which is predominantly Catholic, also opposes abortions. For Thailand, an almost entirely Buddhist nation which means […]

The post Pro-choice women struggle against spiritual detractors appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It’s different here.  If your pet has cancer/1 month to live, good luck finding someone who will put it down and out of its misery.  It’s unfortunate that a society can be this way but it is what it is here.  I’m guessing there’s no sense in putting you would rather die, than live, if incapacitated in your living will.  It probably wouldn’t be recognized here.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

It’s different here.  If your pet has cancer/1 month to live, good luck finding someone who will put it down and out of its misery.  It’s unfortunate that a society can be this way but it is what it is here.  I’m guessing there’s no sense in putting you would rather die, than live, if incapacitated in your living will.  It probably wouldn’t be recognized here.   

I'm going through that now my was diagnosed with a tumor last year she has no control of her bladder and no quality of life 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that.  If machines are keeping someone alive here, does a living will really matter if you state you don’t want to be kept alive if on a machine?  Does the same nurse or doctor think karma will get them if they pull the plug????

19 hours ago, MikeW said:

I'm going through that now my was diagnosed with a tumor last year she has no control of her bladder and no quality of life 

I am so sorry to hear that and I know exactly what you must be going through now. Try and be strong , but it is difficult.

Women have a right to abortion, but other women nurses and doctors have a right to state I am not assisting because it is against my religion to assist.

Another matter is, yes a woman has a right to an abortion, but does she have the right to have other Thais pay for it?

I keep hearing this line, she fell pregnant, like they tripped over a step. This pregnancy was no accident. The women took the risk and they became pregnant.

Make them pay for the abortion. There are a lot of poor Thais now that cannot afford to pay tax that pays for others abortions. Thai woman can have the abortions but not at others expense, and they will need to find doctors and nurses who do not object because it is against their religion, which should not be hard.

IMHO

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

31 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

The women took the risk and they became pregnant.

That presumes both adequate education and zero rape.

32 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Make them pay for the abortion. There are a lot of poor Thais now that cannot afford to pay tax that pays for others abortions

Just to be clear, I am uncomfortable with abortion, but the cost of the surgery is an absolute non-issue. By making abortion far more accessible to black women in the US, the rates of violent crime dropped significantly in subsequent decades and that saved far more money than was spent.

In general, and regardless of race, children born into a stable two-parent family have far better life outcomes. When a woman seeks an abortion she is acknowledging that she is not ready, emotionally or financially to be a mother.

If, for example, a young woman becomes a single mother, not only does it ruin whatever plans she might have had for her own education and career, her child is far more likely to end up incarcerated, murdered, addicted, and unemployed. He is far less likely to attend college or get married himself. He is also more likely to been involved in a car crash or to suffer from a major disease.

A minority of people, throughout their lives, cost society a disproportionate amount of money and cause a disproportionate amount of upset and pain to others.

So, again, abortion is problematic in many ways, but the cost is insignificant.

• Like 1