What is the current situation on the ground in Phuket?

Cmstyle

Bangkok is where I want to end up.  Return tickets may  be required to get a COE.

This is my plan as well. The only reference I've seen to return tickets is at the sandbox website and that was only that you had to show a return ticket on arrival at HKT if you were staying less than 14 days.

• Like 1

Hi guys, I'm from the UK and contemplating coming out to Phuket in august to make the most of the sandbox, but I've got a few questions: 

1: What areas are seemingly the most active? I imagine most of the island is quite dead but going to areas that have a little bit of life would be good. 

2: Leaving phuket after 14 days to go elsewhere then back to phuket to fly back to UK - does this pose a problem? Would I need to quarantine again for 14 days on re-entry to phuket. Would I be able to get back into the UK If I were to do this? I'm considering Koh samui/phagnan but wont even try if it poses a logistical nightmare.  

3: Whats the best insurance to take out if required to relocate to a quarantine hotel (meaning I lose out on prepaid accomodation), do many offer refunds? 

Also, I'm mainly coming to just relax and chill and finish a book I am writing. What's the deal with spa's? are they open? Can we use them?

Oh also one more thing, once the 14 days are up will I have to still stay in Sha+ hotels around Phuket? Or am I free to choose any I like? And also are trips to Koh Yao Noi/yai allowed? 

Any info would be great, there's very little info on the net from people on the ground there!  

Thanks for you answers,

Mike

Some things I picked up along the way for my own research.

1. No clue

2. No, shouldn't  a problem if you're going straight to the airport when entering Phuket again overland. They changed it recently. I think you only need to be fully vaccinated. 

3. The only insurance I was able to find that would cover an ALQ was the one you get for free with Emirates when you fly with them. It also covers the CEO requirements and some extra stuff.

I don't think you need to stay in an SHA+ hotel after 14 since you are allowed to overnight with friends and family after this period. I don't see why you couldn't also stay at a non SHA+ hotel. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if it is possible to transit in Singapore (1hour) for the flight into Phuket? 

Any (short) transit outside of Thailand is allowed when you're flying into Phuket, Doha and Singapore are both fine.

• Like 1

I spent a week in Phuket from July 12 - July 19. I was traveling on a 60 day tourist visa which I easily extended to one month. During the three month period I visited Bangkok, Koh Chang, Rayong, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chumphon, Koh Tao, Kao Phangan, Koh Samui, Krabi, Koh Phi Phi, and Kata Beach, Phuket. I was not part of the sandbox, but stayed at a sandbox hotel, The Boathouse, which I highly recommend. Instead of writing about my experience, you can view this YouTube video: 

I can't guarantee that you will see an octopus as I did, but everyone I saw was having a great time. I also had a great week on Koh Tao: 

and on Koh Phi Phi: 

Enjoy your visit to Thailand.

Given the lack of flights out of Phuket now, they've started putting on buses for those in ASQ/ALQ who need to be back in Bangkok and getting out.

Details below:

สำหรับการจองรถ ออกจากภูเก็ต
LINK กรอกแบบฟอร์ม >> https://forms.gle/GqLxw2BTUMJ9GM2Q7

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shanghailoz said:

Given the lack of flights out of Phuket now, they've started putting on buses for those in ASQ/ALQ who need to be back in Bangkok and getting out.

Now with another rule change for dark red zones, 3 August, I wonder how the Buses will fair. As will they be stopped at the first dark red zone check point.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 6:36 PM, justgimmiesometruth said:

I spent a week in Phuket from July 12 - July 19. I was traveling on a 60 day tourist visa which I easily extended to one month. During the three month period I visited Bangkok, Koh Chang, Rayong, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chumphon, Koh Tao, Kao Phangan, Koh Samui, Krabi, Koh Phi Phi, and Kata Beach, Phuket. I was not part of the sandbox, but stayed at a sandbox hotel, The Boathouse, which I highly recommend. Instead of writing about my experience, you can view this YouTube video: 

I can't guarantee that you will see an octopus as I did, but everyone I saw was having a great time. I also had a great week on Koh Tao: 

and on Koh Phi Phi: 

Enjoy your visit to Thailand.

Not to nitpick but you mention all this whirlwind of traveling to a dozen widely scattered locations during a 3 month period that began July 12th, presumably of this year....which wasn't even three weeks ago.   

19 minutes ago, KWOG said:

Not to nitpick but you mention all this whirlwind of traveling to a dozen widely scattered locations during a 3 month period that began July 12th, presumably of this year....which wasn't even three weeks ago.   

kwog he is back in the usa . left on the 26th of july he started his trip in may in pattaya according to his blog. hehas made the trip before in 2015. 

https://easterntales.wordpress.com/page/2/

Edited by triplebogey
added info
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Now with another rule change for dark red zones, 3 August, I wonder how the Buses will fair. As will they be stopped at the first dark red zone check point.

Its an official bus for Sandbox, so allowed.

TheThaiger has posted about it also  - https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-lays-on-suvarnabhumi-bus-service-for-stranded-sandbox-tourists

I left yesterday on a private minibus to Bangkok.  No issues,  only some mild paperwork at the Phuket bridge.

Didn't see any police on the way., some roadwork on the way, but traffic is pretty light, so didn't really affect the journey.

Edited by shanghailoz
  • Like 1

1. Rawaii and Chalong were the most lively for a year during the pandemic. I can't say if Patong, Karon and Kata have had any life injected into them the past month. The recent COVID-19 restriction stopping restaurants in Phuket from serving alcohol could make the province even more quiet than before when allowed to serve alcohol.

2. If after your 2 weeks in Phuket you leave to go elsewhere in Thailand, then getting back into Phuket could be an issue given Phuket's current domestic incoming travel lockdown.

3. Wrt places open in Phuket this is very dynamic at present. What is true today could be different tomorrow

4. Once your 14 days are up you can move around Phuket to other hotels in Phuket.

Note you have a small risk on your flight over to Phuket if someone sitting very close to you on the flight should test positive for COVID-19, even though you test negative. You will be required to leave your SHA+ hotel and move into an ASQ for some period of time ( 2 weeks??) at your own expense - which won't be inexpensive, and insurance is likely not to cover that ( since you tested Negative). You can, in that case, only leave the ASQ early if you decide to leave Thailand early.

My view is that of a Phuket expat. Beaches are empty, tourist sites have no crowds, road traffic relatively quiet. It's great now in Phuket for expats who don't depend on local economy for an income, as we can enjoy the quiet.

It's rather ugly for most everyone else whose income is tied to tourism.

1 hour ago, shanghailoz said:

Posted a day after a lot of comments.

1 hour ago, shanghailoz said:

I left yesterday on a private minibus to Bangkok.  No issues,  only some mild paperwork at the Phuket bridge.

Private Mini bus equals taxi or private car, public bus services have been canceled. This Sandbox service you could consider as a charter bus service (private) arranged by the Phuket Sandbox Tourism service. Mild paper work, brown paper bag? Least you have proven how bad the seriousness of the lock down in the dark red zones is taken by government agencies. Sabai Sabai.

• 6 months later...

On 8/2/2021 at 8:10 PM, KWOG said:

Nitpicking is fine... I do it all the time. My one week stay in Phuket came at the end of the three month tour of the other islands, which began in April. I enjoyed it so much that I'm already back. Having just completed the E-visa and Pass process again, I posted a new YouTube video for people who want a lot of handholding applying for the Test-and-Go: 

I'm probably an outlier in thinking that the entry process is not significantly harder than it used to be. In the past, I would have to go to the consulate with a small sheaf of papers and pictures, and return to the consulate to pick up my passport, or I would mail my passport with a return envelope (which always made me nervous). Now, everything can be done online. Yes, there's more to do and some additional expense, but I can do everything from my laptop and I don't have to print out a single piece of paper until I'm ready to fly. I have found that any additional costs are offset by reduced hotel prices in Thailand during covid. ...but, perhaps I'm just a 'glass half full' kind of person. 

Anyway, I hope that clears up the nitpick.