Tampons reclassified as cosmetics bringing regulation, tax

Thaiger

In a story that 50% of people may find insignificant while the other 50% find it infuriating, Thailand has officially reclassified tampons as cosmetics. The plan had been in the works since last month, with Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul signing the original plan June 29, but today’s publishing in the Royal Gazette makes the plan official. The move is seemingly a win for women’s health, but a tax downside was quickly revealed. Being classified as a cosmetic means that tampons now fall under stronger regulation. Quality control and certain rules and standards now apply. Government agencies will now […]

The post Tampons reclassified as cosmetics bringing regulation, tax appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

At a time when the whole country is suffering an escalating Covid crisis & many/all medical facilities are  

stretched to bursting point...Along comes the Minister of public health & (as if he's nothing else to worry about) imposes this 'cosmetic tax' on the sales of tampons..!  At this point (even tho' I'm a man) I take my hat off to all the Thai ladies that got together & kicked up a proper stink over this dumb plan.

This guy may well be good friends with the other bright spark who thought this week was a good time to purchase another needy submarine... You really could not make this up could you..?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

42 minutes ago, Tanuki said:

who thought this week was a good time to purchase another needy submarine

When a certain group of public servants go suddenly missing and the submarine count drops overnight you'll know why.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

In a story that 50% of people may find insignificant while the other 50% find it infuriating, Thailand has officially reclassified tampons as cosmetics. The plan had been in the works since last month, with Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul signing the original plan June 29, but today’s publishing in the Royal Gazette makes the plan official. The move is seemingly a win for women’s health, but a tax downside was quickly revealed. Being classified as a cosmetic means that tampons now fall under stronger regulation. Quality control and certain rules and standards now apply. Government agencies will now […]

The post Tampons reclassified as cosmetics bringing regulation, tax appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

People in government may have blood on their hands over this

3 hours ago, Objectivance said:

Messy situation to get stuck in.

No, actually it's the pads that are messy and thoroughly disgusting to sit on,  yet Thai women seem to prefer them to tampons  as evidenced by  dozens of brands of pads in the  stores  while the  inadequate and unsanitary  OB tampon is usually the only brand on offer.   This Buddhist culture has astounding  issues with women's vaginas-  a c***s*****  at every corner bar  but I have to travel to Muslim majority Malaysia to legally obtain a replacement vibrator. Perhaps the Thai men are afraid of a little competition.

This is really a tax for female whiteys. Menses on pause sure has its advantages.   

Edited by Faz
Language deemed offensive edited.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChristyS said:

No, actually it's the pads that are messy and thoroughly disgusting to sit on,  yet Thai women seem to prefer them to tampons  as evidenced by  dozens of brands of pads in the  stores  while the  inadequate and unsanitary  OB tampon is usually the only brand on offer.   This Buddhist culture has astounding  issues with women's vaginas-  a cocksucker at every corner bar  but I have to travel to Muslim majority Malaysia to legally obtain a replacement vibrator. Perhaps the Thai men are afraid of a little competition.

This is really a tax for female whiteys. Menses on pause sure has its advantages.   

You make some very valid points although it was only recently that the UK removed the tax on women's sanitary items and here in Thailand they are discriminating against women yet again by putting a tax on them. 

Ridiculous and idiotic. Poke this guys eyes out and I am sure there will be herds of people willing to fork out the price and tax on them to stuff in his sockets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand has officially reclassified tampons as cosmetics. The plan had been in the works since last month, with Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul signing the original plan June 29, but today’s publishing in the Royal Gazette makes the plan official. The move is seemingly a win for women’s health, but a tax downside was quickly revealed. Being classified as a cosmetic means that tampons now fall under stronger regulation. Quality control and certain rules and standards now apply.

The question must be: Are sanitary towels listed as cosmetics? I'm using logic here and assuming they aren't (dangerous assumption I know).
What's the real reason behind listing tampons as cosmetics - just some tax scam for the government?
Why do tampons need to fall under stronger regulations than sanitary towels?

I can't remember any Thai woman using tampons, they all seem to want to stick with the towels. Tampons don't seem to have taken off culturally here.

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The question must be: Are sanitary towels listed as cosmetics? I'm using logic here and assuming they aren't (dangerous assumption I know).
What's the real reason behind listing tampons as cosmetics - just some tax scam for the government?

I can't remember any Thai woman using tampons, they all seem to want to stick with the towels. Tampons don't seem to have taken off culturally here.

Of course it's a scam. Anytime the government taxes a necessity it's a scam their wives and mia noi's need to cut them off 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

That's strange really isn't  it  that  something around 2" x 1/2" diameter they don't feel comfortable inserting , yet something 8" x 2" diameter they seem to appreciate, strange that?

18 minutes ago, gummy said:

That's strange really isn't  it  that  something around 2" x 1/2" diameter they don't feel comfortable inserting , yet something 8" x 2" diameter they seem to appreciate, strange that?

'8" x 2" diameter'   who have you been talking to?

4 minutes ago, gummy said:
14 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

'8" x 2" diameter'   who have you been talking to?

mirror mirror on the wall

How do you get it 8" - fold it half?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Of course it's a scam. Anytime the government taxes a necessity it's a scam their wives and mia noi's need to cut them off 

Would you like to rephrase that? ?

• Haha 1