Does anyone think the government should support the aviation industry here which is in massive financial stress.

Day

Does anyone think the government should support the aviation industry here which is in massive financial stress.

One of my interests is I was an airline pilot and trained airline pilots. If anybody has any questions about flying. Gladly try to answer 

4 hours ago, Day said:

One of my interests is I was an airline pilot and trained airline pilots. If anybody has any questions about flying. Gladly try to answer 

Why should the aviation industry get help?

Many other industries have been destroyed by covid, yet are not getting government support.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Many other industries have been destroyed by covid, yet are not getting government support.

The aviation industry is what will allow countries to open again.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Day said:

Yes.  I think most countries have been very generous in bailing out their airlines.

32 minutes ago, bushav8r said:

The aviation industry is what will allow countries to open again.

What will allow the countries to open again is effective vaccination and prudent adherence to health recommendations not the aviation industry.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Many (all?)  of the Thai domestic airlines have old-Thai controlling interests. They have the resources to weather this. But, the shutdown does have an effect on the workers and, as usual, the lower you are on the org chart the more s#!t your end of the stick holds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesE said:

Many (all?)  of the Thai domestic airlines have old-Thai controlling interests. They have the resources to weather this. But, the shutdown does have an effect on the workers and, as usual, the lower you are on the org chart the more s#!t your end of the stick holds.

That's true but bear in mind Thai airlines have had to lay off a few people yet the vast majority still remain. It was estimated that 3 to 6 million people have now lost their jobs/businesses who are at the  very bottom of the Thai social ladder,  who have received no support, or miniscule support, from the government. So quite why any thought would be given that it is more necessary to give priority for financial support to the Thai airlines when their are millions of destitute people  now in Thailand is somewhat unpalatable to me. 

• 2 weeks later...

THAI was not particularly renown for it's clear and transparent financial record keeping. Although it is a "Flag Carrier"  , the sheer level of financial incompetence and mismanagement, not to mention the freebies handed out to all and sundry in the higher echelons of society is a good enough reason in itself not to bail it out.

It got to the point to where the auditors themselves were somewhat reluctant to open up the "books", which didn't bode well.

It is very bad news for those who have lost their jobs over this, but as usual, those responsible for the mess are often shielded from the fallout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One thing about Thai Airways that maybe has been forgotten is Rolls got done for paying the high ups a massive bribe to buy their  engines. Rolls admitted it in court in the UK and where given a massive fine. 
The Thais have always denied it

Given the situation it is not just the airline industry that will require help.  They are no worse off than the hotels with no tourists, tour attractions that are closed, or restaurants with restricted hours/no alcohol sales. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 8:38 PM, gummy said:

What will allow the countries to open again is effective vaccination and prudent adherence to health recommendations not the aviation industry.

Even vaccinated people with prudent adherence to health recommendations need some means of transportation.  Not many of us have access to a private jet. I got vaccinated mainly because I want to travel.  I hope there will be flights available in the not too distant future.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Even vaccinated people with prudent adherence to health recommendations need some means of transportation.  Not many of us have access to a private jet. I got vaccinated mainly because I want to travel.  I hope there will be flights available in the not too distant future.  

Without the former the masses will not be allowed to fly  so pointless having aircraft if no passengers are allowed on board as they are needing the masses i.e India and China, not a few thousand from elsewhere

This is almost a moot discussion, as commercial airlines will always receive help regardless of the circumstances. It's just the way it is.

You'll find that nearly all commercial airlines the world over, regardless of size, are directly/indirectly subsidized by govt, be they private or govt enterprise - more often than not, many are maintained with "bail outs" or bankruptcy protection. It all amounts to one-n-the-same. 

No.

We don't need to fund private companies. They don't share their profits with us either. It's business.

If some go under, it's sad, but it's the reality of life. We don't fund the private restaurant that goes under either.

And we don't "need" to keep the existing airlines at all costs. Years ago there were mostly state owned airlines and there was no Nok Air or Air Asia, Viettravel, Whizz or even Virgin Atlantic.

For now there are plenty to deal with few passengers. And when demand restarts, they will pop-up like weeds again!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I believe the governments should help the companies in the aviation industry (and other industries as well) if, and only if, the companies can prove that financial difficulty is solely a result of Covid-19 restrictions and not a result of poor management.

There is no good throwing money at the airlines. They need reform, management  that are not Air Force and a realistic and robust, long term  financial plan for profitability, They have none of those things.  

1 hour ago, Vladimir said:

can prove that financial difficulty is solely a result of Covid-19 restrictions and not a result of poor management.

impossible for the aviation sector

On 8/24/2021 at 9:13 AM, Rain said:

You'll find that nearly all commercial airlines the world over, regardless of size, are directly/indirectly subsidized by govt, be they private or govt enterprise

not true 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:05 AM, bushav8r said:

Yes.  I think most countries have been very generous in bailing out their airlines.

not much evidence of that worldwide

On 7/23/2021 at 1:48 AM, Day said:

How can an airplane fly upside down if its wings are supposed to generate lift?

Tis witchcraft. We should burn the lot of you. 

42 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

impossible for the aviation sector

I would rather say extremely difficult, it is a complex environment.

For example, a small private airline can be held responsible for their decisions. But for example, a large national carrier, connecting remote cities to keep the people connected is in a position to consciously operate with a loss. I understand people's frustration when it comes to the aviation sector, but it does have a ripple effect on many other industries and it is just not black & white scenario as with many things in life. 

Edited by Vladimir