Guinness in Bangkok

Andrew Reeve

Searching for recommendations for a Bar or Restaurant in Bangkok that serves the best pint of Guinness and super important that it is poured correctly into the glass.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My goodness, my Guinness . . . Do you recall those Guinness ads of old?

Yes, an excellent tipple, especially, like you say, when it's poured right!

• Like 3

I have had some half glasses over the years and cannot take to it at all, whilst my husband anytime he has been in Ireland always has a couple of pints on the trip.

• Like 2

Hi Alice and maybe try a pint of Beamish as it is a sweeter stout and the only issue is, its a long trip to Ireland for a pint. Beamish is also available in 500 ml cans and there must be a website they could be ordered from if you are tempted.

• Like 3

Thanks Andrew and mentioned this to my husband and he has yet to have a Beamish and had never heard of it.

There are places online to order interesting drinks from abroad and we will give this a try and some stage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 8:54 AM, Andrew Reeve said:

Searching for recommendations for a Bar or Restaurant in Bangkok that serves the best pint of Guinness and super important that it is poured correctly into the glass.

I know only of a pub but that was years ago near Khao San Road  and there is a Irish pub on Surkuhmvit Road near Asoke if no luck try youtube there are a few Irish guys doing travel videos  ask a comment in there

• Like 2

It's very hard to get Guinness poured correctly anywhere these days. Everyone's in such a hurry and with the proliferation of various craft beers the necessity to serve a particular beer the right way seems to have gone by the board. Even asking for Guinness to be poured correctly can get you regarded on the level of a Creature from the Black Lagoon.

The best way is to get it right is to go to Robin Hood and try to be served by one of the older male staff. They may have some experience drinking Guinness and thus will likely share your wish to have it poured correctly. Just to be on the safe side, always ask (politely) if they will pour it like a proper Guinness using the right angles and correct variation in the tap flow rate. You might be lucky that there is someone there who will know what you are talking about. Next visit, for my birthday, I intend to go to O'Shea's on Soi 33 to try to get a good one. I'll follow the above procedure. Some years ago, The Dubliner was pretty good but long gone now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had a very quirky gf who lived with me in Patong 

One of the more independent Thai women I have ever met

She used to go "I go pub drink Brown Beer"

And off she went... .....555

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

And what happened next ?

How does the story end ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blindfreddy said:

The best way is to get it right is to go to Robin Hood and try to be served by one of the older male staff.

Exactly. Good choice. Best Guinness I’ve come across in Bangkok. 

Only downside about watching the football there is the core group of Sunderland-supporting regulars that frequent it 🤔⚽

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GMoney2312 said:

Beer on the internet?🤣

Ordering alcohol on line was banned here a while back I think, dunno if it was rescinded though.

Just having a Kirin, it's ok but not special.

🍻

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

4 hours ago, Faraday said:

Anyone know if it's available on line here...?

I've used Wishbeer several times for classic English beers, including the so-called craft beers, and I'm sure they'll do Guinness.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Ordering alcohol on line was banned here a while back I think, dunno if it was rescinded though.

Just having a Kirin, it's ok but not special.

🍻

Follow on from my recommendation - something wrong (or outdated) with Wishbeer's ad below - I've bought the 490ml cans, 6%, brewed in BKK, for 99bt.  It's a top drop!

image.thumb.png.c589b12f56c9a0ad4f226ffa5580f76e.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Follow on from my recommendation - something wrong (or outdated) with Wishbeer's ad below - I've bought the 490ml cans, 6%, brewed in BKK, for 99bt.  It's a top drop!

image.thumb.png.c589b12f56c9a0ad4f226ffa5580f76e.png

Ohh thanks Rob, I'll send you my address later...

Best mod ever.

🤣

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Believe it or not, Guinness is described as "Ruby Red". Take a look at the bottom of the glass next time you have a pint.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/st-patrick-s-day-2014-biggest-guinness-questions-and-misconceptions-solved-9192848.html

I found a page on Google which might help: https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/irish-pubs

In case you are unaware, Guinness is notorious for not "travelling well". 

I once had a pint in Ito in Japan, in a resto owned by friends of my wife's family. It was bought by the owner. One of the things about Japan if you are a foreigner and guest of a family, is that if you are offered something such as food or drink, you gain respect by consuming the offering, and you might also cause offence if you abandon the item.

So there I was drinking  a pint of the worst Guinness I had ever tasted. It was so flat, you could not have raised a head on it if you threw it off the roof. Took me two hour to down it.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

I found a page on Google which might help: https://www.timeout.com/bangkok/irish-pubs

In case you are unaware, Guinness is notorious for not "travelling well". 

I once had a pint in Ito in Japan, in a resto owned by friends of my wife's family. It was bought by the owner. One of the things about Japan if you are a foreigner and guest of a family, is that if you are offered something such as food or drink, you gain respect by consuming the offering, and you might also cause offence if you abandon the item.

So there I was drinking  a pint of the worst Guinness I had ever tasted. It was so flat, you could not have raised a head on it if you threw it off the roof. Took me two hour to down it.

I had a similar incident in London 

Went over there on business

And in North America we like our beers ice cold

Well we with clients at a bar 

And I asked what they wanted and they both said a Smith's or something like that 

And I thought I had drank it before

So ordered one for myself 

It was the strongest, warmest beer I ever had!

And just had to grin and pretend I loved it 555

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2021 at 8:54 AM, Andrew Reeve said:

7th Street in Mega Bang Na served good Guinness just before the pandemic.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...