Nestle’s “Negrita” cookie to get new, non race based name

Thaiger

The multinational food and drink giant Nestle announced yesterday it plans to change the name of a high-selling cookie in Chile, the country on South America’s western edge. The cookie formerly known “Negrita” will henceforth be called “Chokita”. Negrita translates to “little black person” in Spanish. The packaging also used to include the image of a black woman. It is a vanilla cookie covered in chocolate. 1 Amazon review calls it delicious but another review says it is awful. Neither review weighed in on the name. It’s reported that a woman who modelled for company advertisement for the Negrita  Chokita […]

The post Nestle’s “Negrita” cookie to get new, non race based name appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Way to discriminate against the spanish language. I'll go ahead and avoid all of their products and any subsidiaries. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JohnG said:

There are in the world many products or place names that could be considered wrong in todays eyes. Or at least in the eyes of someone. 

One example was the Triumph Acclaim car. It was said not to have been sold in Germany because the name translates to Seig Heil! this though is just an urban legend.

I understand why they have renamed this product, but outside of Spanish speaking people it probably did not raise an eyebrow 

Yes several examples of 'not-marketable' product-names because of an unfortunate association in local language.  E.g. the Toyota MR2 car was not a Big Hit in France, because its name - as pronounced in French - is 'emerdeux' which means 'pissed off'.  Same for the Ford Pinto in Portugal.  Not one Portuguese male would want to be seen in that car, as 'pinto' in portuguese means 'small penis'.

31 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

The BBC would NEVER get away with this short clip today anymore, but it is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS (and not racist at all)...

Yes I saw that a few months back. Hilarious, but as you say no chance now. Mind you, I look at some sitcoms today and think that it won’t be allowed in a few years. One of my favourites is The Big Bang theory and comments made by the highly religious Christian mother of Sheldon. The writers are clearly mocking people like her with such backward thinking attitudes. However, our woke lefties won’t allow such comments in future. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

The BBC would NEVER get away with this short clip today anymore, but it is ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS (and not racist at all)...

I found it bloody hilarious. It never entered my head as a racist slur but no doubt the PC brigade will be up in arms. it's hardly the late Bernard Manning material.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I saw that a few months back. Hilarious, but as you say no chance now. Mind you, I look at some sitcoms today and think that it won’t be allowed in a few years. ...

Allegedly there is some delay in the production of the next James Bond movie, as the producers couldn't find a black transgender in a wheelchair to play the 007-role... ?

26 minutes ago, gummy said:

Proof the world has gone crazy

I think it’s another reason why many westerners settle in places like Thailand. Many of the things wrong with Thailand don’t affect retired expats (politics, job prospects, taxation etc).  It’s still ok to relax and not have to watch every comment you make (as long as we respect one or two no go areas!)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gummy said:

Proof the world has gone crazy

I guess that is why Darkie toothpaste went to Darlie........and as for these products, well.......

Thaiger.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Faraday said:

How about Black Friday - blatantly racist!!

??

And going down on one knee whilst riding a bike is not to sensible either ?

14 hours ago, Soidog said:

I think it’s another reason why many westerners settle in places like Thailand. Many of the things wrong with Thailand don’t affect retired expats (politics, job prospects, taxation etc).  It’s still ok to relax and not have to watch every comment you make (as long as we respect one or two no go areas!)

I wouldn't be so sure  about Thailand's attitudes not affecting retired expats. Remember this from a few years ago?

image.jpeg.6cf8db74f1d83b9568ec8793c589cd30.jpeg

I recall going into an alleged museum in Kanchanaburi and on the main floor was a glass case with the supposed  bones of Australian POWs killed during the building of the Japanese railway. Considering it was Thailand, they may not have been human remains, but I was disgusted all the same as the intent was disrespectful to the allied service people who sacrificed themselves to liberate SE Asia including Thailand  from the Japanese. The large numbers of Chinese, and Thai tourists who were disrespectful as they toured the death railway and the allied burial sites spoke volumes.  Some westerners assume that the Thai discrimination and prejudice is only directed at the Burmese and Africans, so they are safe, but they are deluding themselves. As soon as the westerner has a dispute or must engage the Thai legal system the Thai prejudice and discrimination becomes quite evident.

Edited by HuaHinHappy
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, HuaHinHappy said:

I wouldn't be so sure  about Thailand's attitudes not affecting retired expats. Remember this from a few years ago?

I recall going into an alleged museum in Kanchanaburi and on the main floor was a glass case with the supposed  bones of Australian POWs killed during the building of the Japanese railway. Considering it was Thailand, they may not have been human remains, but I was disgusted all the same as the intent was disrespectful to the allied service people who sacrificed themselves to liberate SE Asia including Thailand  from the Japanese. The large numbers of Chinese, and Thai tourists who were disrespectful as they toured the death railway and the allied burial sites spoke volumes.  Some westerners assume that the Thai discrimination and prejudice is only directed at the Burmese and Africans, so they are safe, but they are deluding themselves. As soon as the westerner has a dispute or must engage the Thai legal system the Thai prejudice and discrimination becomes quite evident.

How very true.

18 minutes ago, HuaHinHappy said:

I hear you mate - but I must pull you up about that picture.  That is not a Nazi sign they are wearing. The swastika symbol, is an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. Swastika - Wikipedia Often we as westerners take the wrong way what Asian people are doing or saying, because we see them from our point of view. The 'swastika' has been around for thousands of years before the Nazis. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I hear you mate - but I must pull you up about that picture.  That is not a Nazi sign they are wearing. The swastika symbol, is an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. Swastika - Wikipedia Often we as westerners take the wrong way what Asian people are doing or saying, because we see them from our point of view. The 'swastika' has been around for thousands of years before the Nazis. 

And also there are certain Westerners that should have known better, not just Thais

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14342020/when-prince-harry-nazi-uniform-why-apology/

5 hours ago, HuaHinHappy said:

Agreed. I didn’t say nothing would affect expats, just that many of the frustrations back home are not always present in Thailand. There are of course, as you highlight, many other frustrations and things to upset us. I guess it proves that nowhere is perfect. 

Im often reminded just how fortunate people are coming from a developed and often western country. If managed properly, we can have the best of both worlds. I’m certainly planning on always having one foot in Thailand and one foot at home. 

6 hours ago, AussieBob said:

I was asked this very question at work a couple of months ago via an email from HR asking me to register my pronoun preference. Having fumed when I read it, I simply deleted it. A couple of weeks ago while in a meeting with HR I was asked had I completed the online form sent via email. I don’t think I can post the exact words used here, but I’m likely facing a written warning for my language. Utterly baffling to me.

The Chinese must be looking at the West and thinking there is no need challenge us, we are slowly destroying ourselves. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes I saw that a few months back. Hilarious, but as you say no chance now. Mind you, I look at some sitcoms today and think that it won’t be allowed in a few years. One of my favourites is The Big Bang theory and comments made by the highly religious Christian mother of Sheldon. The writers are clearly mocking people like her with such backward thinking attitudes. However, our woke lefties won’t allow such comments in future. 

They will allow those comments but if it was about Muslims then it would be banned 

• Like 1

This has become a race to see what can be the most ridiculous thing to find as racist.  If the cookies had been Blanco's for white would they have removed them?   If someone wishes to interpret racism in every day life, they can certainly do so even though they are not projecting something racist.  Do you no longer have electricity "brownouts", ban Black Friday, stop ordering Black and Tans at bars, do we demand a name change for White Rain shampoo, stop Chinese Checkers, ban Indian Corn, the list could go on forever. 

When you consider Nestle's would never select a name that it though disparaged the image and reputation of its products.  People select names for products and mascots to enhance their image.  You never will see the New York Rats baseball team, or Skunk Perfume.   The very fact that some find the term black to be disparaging and want it removed shows they are the ones who are seeing negative and are racist rather than those that proudly wish to associate their products with it. 

3 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

This has become a race to see what can be the most ridiculous thing to find as racist.  If the cookies had been Blanco's for white would they have removed them?   If someone wishes to interpret racism in every day life, they can certainly do so even though they are not projecting something racist.  Do you no longer have electricity "brownouts", ban Black Friday, stop ordering Black and Tans at bars, do we demand a name change for White Rain shampoo, stop Chinese Checkers, ban Indian Corn, the list could go on forever. 

When you consider Nestle's would never select a name that it though disparaged the image and reputation of its products.  People select names for products and mascots to enhance their image.  You never will see the New York Rats baseball team, or Skunk Perfume.   The very fact that some find the term black to be disparaging and want it removed shows they are the ones who are seeing negative and are racist rather than those that proudly wish to associate their products with it. 

I used to own ABU fishing rods, now ABU Garcia, originally a Swedish company who made great fishing gear. Wonder if they sold out the name due to pressure from the Australian do gooders and their continents indigenous peoples complaints ? Although from what friends in Oz told me most of them were all to drunk to care, whatever that meant.