El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse, Bangkok

Andrew Reeve

Before Covid-19 changed our lives with restrictions, my wife and I used to eat out at least once a week and at some stage in the near future try: El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse at Sukhumvit Soi 19, Bangkok. The food is amazing and the menu options are very enticing. The steaks we had were large, juicy, tender, and very tasty served with chunky chips and vegetables. The staff is very enthusiastic to help you understand how to choose your meal. We highly recommend this Steakhouse.

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, Andrew Reeve said:

Before Covid-19 changed our lives with restrictions, my wife and I used to eat out at least once a week and at some stage in the near future try: El Gaucho Argentinian Steakhouse at Sukhumvit Soi 19, Bangkok. The food is amazing and the menu options are very enticing. The steaks we had were large, juicy, tender, and very tasty served with chunky chips and vegetables. The staff is very enthusiastic to help you understand how to choose your meal. We highly recommend this Steakhouse.

The wife will enjoy El Gaucho, next Bangkok visit (covid permitting), as she enjoys a good steak, not Thai beef though! 

The  Suk11 outlet in the Mercure Hotel is currently closed but the main Suk19 venue is open and handily situated adjacent Terminal21.  There's a steak house in Thonglor also >https://th.elgaucho.asia/ 

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have eaten there several times with my USA visiting associates. Great steaks but can be a bit on the spendy end to be eating there all of the time with the steak, side dishes and a nice bottle of wine. But I do enjoy going there and having a few cocktails on the outside front seating used to be fun watching the world go by too.  If you can catch the owner on the right night there, you will get his concoction of complimentary shots of a liqueur - unlimited if you can stomach more than a couple. He is a very nice person and staff are wonderful. . 

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes I have eaten there several times with my USA visiting associates. Great steaks but can be a bit on the spendy end to be eating there all of the time with the steak, side dishes and a nice bottle of wine. But I do enjoy going there and having a few cocktails on the outside front seating used to be fun watching the world go by too.  If you can catch the owner on the right night there, you will get his concoction of complimentary shots of a liqueur - unlimited if you can stomach more than a couple. He is a very nice person and staff are wonderful. . 

We don't mind spending top money on top quality food and service.  CM restaurants, and some pretty well known ones with the expat community, repeatedly fail to deliver.  When one politely raises a complaint some remedial action should take place even if it's the Manager/Owner making a personal apology ... seldom happens. :(  We don't go back.

24 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

We don't mind spending top money on top quality food and service.  CM restaurants, and some pretty well known ones with the expat community, repeatedly fail to deliver.  When one politely raises a complaint some remedial action should take place even if it's the Manager/Owner making a personal apology ... seldom happens. :(  We don't go back.

Yeah agreed, El Gaucho is really good. I receive their updates by email. Just got one the other day again. I mostly tend to eat at top notch fully upscale fresh hole in the wall small Japanese restaurants in bkk with my thai factory owner friend. Even my kids think it is out of this world. Probably a bit more in cost than El Gaucho but a culinary delight by the sushi masters. CM is a different breed for food and me and my family have seen quality slip since Covid so my daughter and I have turned to preparing exotic dishes at home on the weekends. 

^ same here, home cooking usually the most satisfying.  Nice to go out on special occasions or when guests visit but Covid has taken its toll on both good and bad eateries.

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

^ same here, home cooking usually the most satisfying.  Nice to go out on special occasions or when guests visit but Covid has taken its toll on both good and bad eateries.

Yes we have noticed so stopped many CM restaurants from disappointments. For even market food cutting corners. We eat a everything. Cooking at home is probably where it is at right now. For complaining at restaurants, we don’t do it but will speak up if they forgot to bring something. Our complaint will be they said by no tip and no come back for a long time. Dukes seems to be consistent, but we mostly eat different Thai food most of the time. Foreign western food out is every now and then long while and now we cook it once in the weekend at home in oven or stove. 

On 5/12/2021 at 3:23 AM, Andrew Reeve said:

I have never been there, but it looks like a very impressive place.  I tend to shy away from any non-Thai places.  I will check it out next time I am in Bangkok.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 12:24 AM, TiT said:

El Gaucho is just too expensive in my opinion.  Otherwise, top notch for those with a sizable budget.

Agree and not a great dining environment - too noisy.

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 9:23 AM, Andrew Reeve said:

I don't paying a lot, but that place is way overpriced.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:02 PM, KaptainRob said:

The wife will enjoy El Gaucho, next Bangkok visit (covid permitting), as she enjoys a good steak, not Thai beef though! 

The  Suk11 outlet in the Mercure Hotel is currently closed but the main Suk19 venue is open and handily situated adjacent Terminal21.  There's a steak house in Thonglor also >https://th.elgaucho.asia/ 

My opinion, if you want proper New York steakhouse experience with far better quality steaks than El Guapo, at a slightly more expensive price, in a far more intimate/nicer setting.....

New York Steakhouse in the JW Marriott

To me, El Guapo is more of a chain restaurant with decent steaks, not shitting on it at all. But I'd rather pay a tad bit more for far better steaks

But if you want proper steaks, it doesn't compare to NY Steakhouse

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1093909-Reviews-New_York_Steakhouse_at_the_JW_Marriott_Hotel_Bangkok-Bangkok.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
On 5/12/2021 at 12:23 AM, Andrew Reeve said:

Nice. Is this Australian beef? What's the price range like? 

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2021 at 8:24 PM, HolyCowCm said:

What's "spendy" prices?

1 hour ago, GeeKane said:

What's "spendy" prices?

The way me and my associates wine, drink and dine when they are in town is a typical bill will be 4 -5 people at 30 - 40 - 50k baht. It is having the all and everything that adds up on all the cost fronts. Wine, whisky, top end steak, etc.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Probably American slang for 'exxy' or expensive.

Correct but as in costs a bit, so we do say spendy. I didn't realise that word is US.

• 3 months later...
On 7/12/2021 at 12:24 AM, TiT said:

El Gaucho is just too expensive in my opinion.  Otherwise, top notch for those with a sizable budget.

Totally agreed - my wife & shared a 250g steak, a bottle of red and a few sides and came away THB7,000 poorer. I'm not much of a cook, but one thing I can easily do is grill a steak for 4 minutes each side. Really can't understand the appeal...