Interprovincial transport suspended in “dark red” zones; bus services stop nationwide

Thaiger

All interprovincial public transport services have been suspended in the 13 “dark red” provinces under maximum control to curb the spread of the coronavirus, the Department of Land Transport announced today. Domestic flights in and out of those provinces have also been suspended. The suspensions are in place at least until August 2. The public transportation company, known as BorKorSor, announced that all interprovincial bus services on northern, northeastern, eastern and southern routes will be suspended until August 2. The bus services will still be delivering parcels. The president of the transport company said the suspension is in line with […]

The post Interprovincial transport suspended in “dark red” zones; bus services stop nationwide appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

27 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The public transportation company, known as BorKorSor, announced that all interprovincial bus services on northern, northeastern, eastern and southern routes will be suspended until August 2. The bus services will still be delivering parcels.

Have I missed something obvious?
Does this mean the buses will still be running - devoid of passengers, for some reason?
Surely that would be a waste of money. The parcel delivery was more of a perk for the company/driver on top of a full passenger load to pay its way.

30 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Does this mean the buses will still be running - devoid of passengers, for some reason?
Surely that would be a waste of money.

They probably aren't running a full schedule, but the government would still want the mail services to operate, particularly during a pandemic, and would itself still need to send mail around the country.

Buses carrying only mail at least keeps some drivers working and the companies in business, so that the routes can still run when the restrictions are eased. The government would be subsidizing this.

Edited by SickBuffalo

25 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

They probably aren't running a full schedule, but the government would still want the mail services to operate, particularly during a pandemic, and would itself still need to send mail around the country.

Buses carrying only mail at least keeps some drivers working and the companies in business, so that the routes can still run when the restrictions are eased. The government would be subsidizing this.

Thailand Post delivers the mail via their own vehicles.
The buses allow people to put parcels on their buses privately as a favour. Sometimes it's food in cool boxes, live chickens in a cardboard box. I've seen motorbikes laid ion their side n the luggage space to be sent to someone at the distant end. The person collecting the parcels have to turn up at the bus station and wait for the correct bus and I think show some ID in order to collect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Thailand Post delivers the mail via their own vehicles.

I have seen situations in which the private carriers take their mail some of the way.

In any case, the food and chickens in boxes could well be considered sufficiently vital to subsidize during an emergency. 

7 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

, live chickens in a cardboard box.

Yea I caught the bus back from Korat to Patts and someone had a live boy chicken up the back but not caged .. 

The friggin thing tried to escape a couple of times with loads of wing flapping , cock a doodle doing and chicken sh*t about the cabin .. I thought you'd never see this on a National Express coach .. 

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Yea I caught the bus back from Korat to Patts and someone had a live boy chicken up the back but not caged .. 

The friggin thing tried to escape a couple of times with loads of wing flapping , cock a doodle doing and chicken sh*t about the cabin .. I thought you'd never see this on a National Express coach .. 

Maybe a French passenger was transporting it as they had a passion for having sex with chickens. Strange those Frenchies.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3214678/frenchman-caught-having-sex-with-a-chicken-at-his-farm-in-normandy-escapes-jail/

5 minutes ago, gummy said:

Maybe a French passenger was transporting it as they had a passion for having sex with chickens. Strange those Frenchies.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3214678/frenchman-caught-having-sex-with-a-chicken-at-his-farm-in-normandy-escapes-jail/

They can't name the man for legal reason, but have a photo of the chicken.
"The man's lawyer added: "My client is clearly very ashamed about this. He and his wife have now separated"
Separated the white from the yolk. The yolk's on him now.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bluesofa said:

They can't name the man for legal reason, but have a photo of the chicken.
"The man's lawyer added: "My client is clearly very ashamed about this. He and his wife have now separated"
Separated the white from the yolk. The yolk's on him now.

And the other reposts suggested he fancied the chicken more due to his wife already being well laid as she had gone free range

Hi, i've to catch a international flight next week at Bangkok Airport. I'm in Chiang Mai right now. What are the options to get from here to Bangkok? 

Hi, i've to catch a international flight next week at Bangkok Airport. I'm in Chiang Mai right now. What are the options to get from here to Bangkok? 

i'm in a similar situation. in CM at the moment, but would like to fly internationally out of BKK on august 7. have you found a solution?

NOK air is still flying to Bangkok from Udon Thani according to the airport sites. Buses still run from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. It’s a round about way to get there but at present still doable.

NOK air is still flying to Bangkok from Udon Thani according to the airport sites. Buses still run from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. It’s a round about way to get there but at present still doable.

thanks for that :-) indeed it's a roundabout... seems 11+ hours by bus... just for now, i'll hold out for a miracle, aka CM --> BKK flights will resume after aug 2. longshot, i know (sigh)