Pattaya restaurants suffering, closing over dark red restrictions

Thaiger

New severe Covid-19 restrictions go into effect as Chon Buri province and Pattaya inside it were classified as dark red zones, causing already hard-hit restaurants to suffer and some to close completely. Being pushed to take-away only after their customer base is already severely reduced by international borders being all but closed to tourism for over a year has left once-thriving, busy eating establishments scrambling for scraps of the few remaining customers. This is the third time since the pandemic began that restaurants have been forced to serve only takeaway orders, a double whammy on an industry originally catering to […]

The post Pattaya restaurants suffering, closing over dark red restrictions appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Event thought Thai people are generally respectful of the law, at some point the regular mass protests of millions that we see in UK and France must become a reality here.

I am a guest in this country, so its not my place to say anything, but I really hope we see peaceful demonstrations against unilaterally imposed lockdowns.

We need independent voices and minds from across the economic and medical spectrum to be part of these terrible decisions, and not on the whim of a government official.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AdamX said:

Event thought Thai people are generally respectful of the law, at some point the regular mass protests of millions that we see in UK and France must become a reality here.

I am a guest in this country, so its not my place to say anything, but I really hope we see peaceful demonstrations against unilaterally imposed lockdowns.

We need independent voices and minds from across the economic and medical spectrum to be part of these terrible decisions, and not on the whim of a government official.

If only it was as simple as the whim of a government official. Unfortunately those spineless individuals are at the whim of others

Crazy crazy idea, delivery only. I went to grab a bite to eat earlier and was refused after walking there. Delivery only, I said can you deliver to me outside the shop. The answer was no. So I headed back to the hotel and had to order via grab. Ridiculous rule, takeaway is safer than grab. Sit outside self isolate with a mask on but no can. So in the company’s opinion it is better to just do delivery so now the restaurant that handles my food, passes it to a grab driver (I don’t have grab wallet) drives to the hotel, gives it to reception who I’ve given them the money, he then gets it and my change and delivers to me, nothing surprises me anymore ??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Philly said:

Crazy crazy idea, delivery only. I went to grab a bite to eat earlier and was refused after walking there. Delivery only, I said can you deliver to me outside the shop. The answer was no. So I headed back to the hotel and had to order via grab. Ridiculous rule, takeaway is safer than grab. Sit outside self isolate with a mask on but no can. So in the company’s opinion it is better to just do delivery so now the restaurant that handles my food, passes it to a grab driver (I don’t have grab wallet) drives to the hotel, gives it to reception who I’ve given them the money, he then gets it and my change and delivers to me, nothing surprises me anymore ??

Well look deeper. Who owns Grab and do they get a hefty mark up for delivery ? Nothing to do with covid, just an excuse to maximise certain peoples income, which is not unusual when you have gangsters running any business which is all this country means to some people.

30 minutes ago, AdamX said:

I am a guest in this country, so its not my place to say anything

Bizarre thing to say on an expat forum.

Trust me, the Thai government and people are not our audience here. 

1 minute ago, SickBuffalo said:

No they are not but if you are a stooge of this government then perhaps that is not the message you would want to put across. Just saying.

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well look deeper. Who owns Grab and do they get a hefty mark up for delivery ?

Rather than some capitalist conspiracy, is it not more likely that the government don't want people queuing outside restaurants, waiting for their takeaways?

12 minutes ago, Philly said:

So in the company’s opinion it is better to just do delivery so now the restaurant that handles my food, passes it to a grab driver (I don’t have grab wallet) drives to the hotel, gives it to reception who I’ve given them the money, he then gets it and my change and delivers to me

Okay, I have ask: Why not just get Grab wallet so that you can eliminate two of those steps?

• Like 1

Rather than some capitalist conspiracy, is it not more likely that the government don't want people queuing outside restaurants, waiting for their takeaways?

Okay, I have ask: Why not just get Grab wallet so that you can eliminate two of those steps?

Rather a deflective post, but who are the main shareholders of Grab in Thailand?

From the article:

What would help? Vaccines. Until a majority of the country is vaccinated, reopenings will be hampered, domestic travel will be harder, and tourism income can’t easily bounce back. Closing businesses seemed like a needed safety precaution a year ago but now feels to many like just kicking the can down the road when the only thing that will ever really help is widespread vaccination.

Odd logic. States that reopening will be hampered until the majority are vaccinated, then questions why we are waiting because the only solution is widespread vaccination ... which we have to wait for ?

3 minutes ago, SickBuffalo said:

From the article:

Odd logic. States that reopening will be hampered until the majority are vaccinated, then questions why we are waiting because the only solution is widespread vaccination ... which we have to wait for ?

unfortunately a catch 22 question and also unfortunately it is those smaller businesses that will go to the wall until that is resolved.

18 minutes ago, gummy said:

who are the main shareholders of Grab in Thailand?

Singaporean company started almost a decade ago in Kuala Lumpur by two Malaysians, Anthony Tan and Tan Hooi Ling.

Has received venture funding from Booking Holdings (US), Mitsubishi (Japan), Microsoft (US), Softbank (Japan), Honda (Japan), Didi Chuxing (China), Toyota (Japan), GGV Capital (China), Tiger Global (US), Venture Vertex (SG), CIC (China), TIS INTEC (Japan), and Hanwha (SK).

Edited by SickBuffalo

8 minutes ago, gummy said:

unfortunately a catch 22 question and also unfortunately it is those smaller businesses that will go to the wall until that is resolved.

Sure, but I am marveling at the circular logic of the reporter, apparently an American, who grandly poses a question that he himself answers in the same sentence.

Singaporean company that started almost a decade ago in Kuala Lumpur by two Malaysians, Anthony Tan and Tan Hooi Ling.

Has received venture funding from Booking Holdings (US), Mitsubishi (Japan), Microsoft (US), Softbank (Japan), Honda (Japan), Didi Chuxing (China), Toyota (Japan), GGV Capital (China), Tiger Global (US), Venture Vertex (SG), CIC (China), TIS INTEC (Japan), and Hanwha (SK).

No not the answer because as you are aware it has to have a 51% Thai/49% others for a company to be registered and operable in Thailand.

Sure, but I am marveling at the circular logic of the reporter, apparently an American, who grandly poses a question that he himself answers in the same sentence.

But don't all Americans talk around in circles till they disappear up their own backside ??

No not the answer because as you are aware it has to have a 51% Thai/49% others for a company to be registered and operable in Thailand.

Singapore is in ASEAN.

But don't all Americans talk around in circles till they disappear up their own backside ??

Only the ones who claim to be ex special forces.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

There is much catch 22 at the moment. The people who follow the economists and central were shocked just a week before the lockdown. I make it short, to open the country you need huge amounts of money as everybody has seen in countries who open and restart. But the government or the population with the highest household debt in Asia has the money. The central bank said if we cannot open it will collapse. They can at the moment only go from lockdown to lockdown to win time and dream of a exit or join the flying club (balcony).

1 hour ago, SickBuffalo said:

I hear you, but it costs nothing to show respect and err on the side of caution.

You may be surprised at who is looking and reading, so why not play it safe if you are an expat?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Well look deeper. Who owns Grab and do they get a hefty mark up for delivery ? Nothing to do with covid, just an excuse to maximise certain peoples income, which is not unusual when you have gangsters running any business which is all this country means to some people.

Lets add mask makers, covid test makers, hospitals, vaccine makers, ASQ hotels, media to the list of people incentivised to promote the climate of fear

3 minutes ago, AdamX said:

I hear you, but it costs nothing to show respect and err on the side of caution.

You may be surprised at who is looking and reading, so why not play it safe if you are an expat?

Somewhat odd post a it almost replicates what was said  2 hours ago. However my answer is still the same No they are not looking or  reading but if you are a stooge of this government then perhaps that is not the message you would want to put across. Just saying.

1 minute ago, AdamX said:

Lets add mask makers, covid test makers, hospitals, vaccine makers, ASQ hotels, media to the list of people incentivised to promote the climate of fear

As they say in Thailand - up to you ?