Foodpanda rider arrested on lèse majesté charges

Thaiger

Recently, Foodpanda faced public backlash and calls to be boycotted after they said they planned to fire a rider who was branded a terrorist. Yesterday, the same rider was arrested in Pathum Thani, a central province near Bangkok, on lèse majesté charges, arson and violation of the Emergency Decree’s ban on gatherings. The rider has been identified as 25 year old “Sittichok”. He is looking down the barrel of 15 years in prison if he is convicted under Section 112 of the penal code. Sittichok was allegedly filmed pouring petrol on the base of a portrait of the king and […]

The post Foodpanda rider arrested on lèse majesté charges appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Let's see what happens to this guy. Could go either way as hard hit or let off as a warning with a Wai and fine and an apology. Not gonna say anything more on this one.

Another embarrassing headline in the worlds newspapers. Food delivery driver fired from job and arrested by police for protesting about the Thai government. and insulting the monarchy.

What will be the opinion of readers of this news?

Could it be: what sort of people are these?

Shall we go for a holiday there - no.

Business. Is it safe to trade with Thailand - no.

Do the Thais have any perception of how the world thinks of them? Or can they not see the consequences?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Another embarrassing headline in the worlds newspapers. Food delivery driver fired from job and arrested by police for protesting about the Thai government. and insulting the monarchy.

Do the Thais have any perception of how the world thinks of them? Or can they not see the consequences?

I don't think any tourist gives a flying fart.

One half-wit protesting in his corporate uniform will not stop the Chinese buying up Thailand, or any others doing business with Thailand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Let's see what happens to this guy. Could go either way as hard hit or let off as a warning with a Wai and fine and an apology. Not gonna say anything more on this one.

Bet he doesn't get his 2,000 Baht

8 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I don't think any tourist gives a flying fart.

One half-wit protesting in his corporate uniform will not stop the Chinese buying up Thailand, or any others doing business with Thailand.

Not sure why you dislike the Chinese so much. You should watch TikTok, some crackers on there, well mostly Taiwanese but same place isn't it ?  legs up to their armpits and no they are not the hairy type like Romanians.

as an outsider looking in I am disapointed that freedom of speech has become a major issue ,New Zealand is going to have this law introduced under the NZ labour Government who has close associatoin to the CCP . and they are trying to run New Zeland the same way . the world is becoming a sorry place , with all the big issues around the CCP and there policies . there desire to rule as many coutries as possible and the only way to try and stop is by people power .

What was he delivering, king prawns?

Apart from that, Rama IX, "During his 2005 birthday speech, Bhumibol invited criticism: "Actually, I must also be criticised. I am not afraid if the criticism concerns what I do wrong, because then I know."" 
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhumibol_Adulyadej    

IIRC he wanted the lese majeste law repealed. It never was repealed though, obviously.

2 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

What was he delivering, king prawns?

Apart from that, Rama IX, "During his 2005 birthday speech, Bhumibol invited criticism: "Actually, I must also be criticised. I am not afraid if the criticism concerns what I do wrong, because then I know."" 
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhumibol_Adulyadej    

IIRC he wanted the lese majeste law repealed. It never was repealed though, obviously.

"What was he delivering, king prawns?"

No I think it was King crabs as he was scratching a living

1 hour ago, TobyAndrews said:

They are the world.  It is how you minimize deviation of opinion, nationalism, and pride in their accomplishment of being Tai.

Most companies don't want their business advertised at protest for or against they want to remain neutral. Companies I have worked for would fire you if cought at any kind of protest in uniform 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Not sure why you dislike the Chinese so much. You should watch TikTok, some crackers on there, well mostly Taiwanese but same place isn't it ?  legs up to their armpits and no they are not the hairy type like Romanians.

You really don't know why nobody likes ccp China in the world?! 

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Plenty of people do like and admire the CPC (not the CCP, sorry). 1.44bn Chinese for starters.  Only the brainwashed who believe the bullshit carry that particular needless grudge. 

15 minutes ago, Stardust said:

You really have never seen Chinese girls on TikTok ?

3 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Great questions @TobyAndrews. I never cease to be amazed at how humanity approaches such issues; we all seem to have short memories. 
I think the answer to the question shall we go on holiday will be - “What kind of cheap deal can we get?”

The answer regarding business will be -“how much profit can we make?”

I know a couple of Western telecoms companies who are still doing business with Myanmar and we know what’s going on there. At least Telenor (dtac in Thailand)  have had the moral decency to sell up and ship out of the mobile business in Myanmar. Middle East outfit has taken it off their hands. 

While food panda respect people can express their personal opinion, government walks 1 million years behind it...you can not even say your opinion about this, what they call a law... people have 1 life and someone takes it away, for reasons that makes me ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gummy said:

I have nothing against the Chinese (except when they are in large groups in and around Pattaya).

I can understand why the Thais don't like them......

I like Koreans (South)

22 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I have nothing against the Chinese (except when they are in large groups in and around Pattaya).

I can understand why the Thais don't like them......

I like Koreans (South)

I wonder why more than 150k have made their home here, if they're so unpopular? They tell me that more than 65% of Thais can trace Chinese ancestry in their history.

Or perhaps your antipathy is reflected?

12 hours ago, Poolie said:

I wonder why more than 150k have made their home here, if they're so unpopular? They tell me that more than 65% of Thais can trace Chinese ancestry in their history.

Or perhaps your antipathy is reflected?

Antipathy? Please don't twist my posts...... I said I had nothing against the Chinese. What is said here is from personal experience and observation.

Go and look into the Milk Tea Alliance.

Mistrust (and dislike) of Chinese is widespread. Irrespective of the Thai propensity for paranoia, many will not trust any goods from China and a friends wife refused to be taken for a Chinese meal because "they are dirty". As tourists the Chinese have a dreadful reputation - at buffets it is like watching feeding time at the zoo

Many rural dumb Thais have lost land to smarter (money lending Chinese) who have taken advantage of their stupidity to borrow money that they cannot afford to repay. 'Chinese Thais' control many aspects of business in Thailand, one of the most prominent of this group was Thaksin Shinawatra.