Tuesday Covid Update: 11,305 new cases and 80 deaths

Thaiger

11,305 new cases and 80 deaths were reported today by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration. In the latest and most severe wave of Covid-19 in Thailand, first recorded on April 1, the CCSA has reported a total of 397,612 infections. Out of the new cases recorded today, 595 were detected in correctional facilities. The latest wave of infections spread to Thailand’s overcrowded prisons, infecting more than 30,000 inmates. With the emergence of the Delta variant, a CCSA spokesperson says that at worst-case scenario, the daily infection count could reach 20,000 or even 30,000 cases. Other updates… The Civil Aviation Authority […]

The post Tuesday Covid Update: 11,305 new cases and 80 deaths appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

England nearly the population of

Thailand has daily infections of

50000 !!  Thailand even so using

Sinovac and much less people vaccinated than England,

doing pretty well !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mic said:

doing pretty well !!!!

I am not sure volume of tests conducted can be used as a viable statistic to make any such claims. According to ourworldindata.org, the UK is doing a 7 day average of 16050 tests per million per day compared to Thailand's 922 per million, the UK is doing 16 times the volume of tests. 

So if you take Thailand's current daily case volume of say 10,000 cases and multiplied it by 16, all I know is that the number of cases would be scary!

But you can't compare. Reporting of tests conducted seems to be one of the least favoured stats for governments to report on so you have to question the consistency of the figures. It is simply just another statistic with tragic results for so many.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mic said:

doing pretty well !!!!

About 10% of what the U.K. tests each day. That’s why they only report 11,000 a day. 

I've just seen a report which indicates India’s 415,000 official deaths could be 10X higher. I think similar, though maybe not 10X is going on in other countries. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

I am not sure volume of tests conducted can be used as a viable statistic to make any such claims. According to ourworldindata.org, the UK is doing a 7 day average of 16050 tests per million per day compared to Thailand's 922 per million, the UK is doing 16 times the volume of tests. 

So if you take Thailand's current daily case volume of say 10,000 cases and multiplied it by 16, all I know is that the number of cases would be scary!

But you can't compare. Reporting of tests conducted seems to be one of the least favoured stats for governments to report on so you have to question the consistency of the figures. It is simply just another statistic with tragic results for so many.

What would be helpful is data showing “excess deaths”. As you may know, these are the number of people who have died in addition to what a “normal” year would be.  The percentage increases can be surprisingly low, but that’s where the true comparison lies. 

It’s also worth remembering that over the next 100 years, virtually all 7 billion people alive on the planet today will have died for one reason or another. That’s 190,000 people every day are dying of something somewhere in the world !

• Like 2

Yes UK has vaccinated most of its population whilst the Thailand government tinker around the edges ,no structures 

• Like 2

Test Positivity Rates are published as a matter of course in EU countries. If the figure is greater that 4% the EU effectively downgrades the reliability of the case numbers for that country. Put simply if more that 1 in 25 of the cases test positive then the country needs to do more testing. The WHO has a similar guideline.

Thailand is not testing enough to accurately record the spread of Covid, it is reasonable to assume the true case numbers are a multiple of the reported numbers.

There is no excuse 18 months after covid locked down 1/2 the world for the Thai authorities not to have learned from the experience of other countries. Their piecemeal haphazard penny pinching approach will kill a large number of Thai people.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abertillery said:

Yes UK has vaccinated most of its population

50% of the population of the UK are fully vaccinated. And still the number of new Covid cases per day is rising rapidly. 

is about younger people did not get or did not like to get vaccines,

younger tourists below 30 like to have parties when abroad,
like in Magaluf at Mallorca island in Spain, many infections but less in hospitals,

and youngers below 18 years did not get vaccine too, so numbers will rise,
look at schools next months,
but check about deaths and peopler at ICU, may not a real problem,
we have to live with the virus

2 hours ago, Mopi said:

Test Positivity Rates are published as a matter of course in EU countries. If the figure is greater that 4% the EU effectively downgrades the reliability of the case numbers for that country. Put simply if more that 1 in 25 of the cases test positive then the country needs to do more testing. The WHO has a similar guideline.

Thailand is not testing enough to accurately record the spread of Covid, it is reasonable to assume the true case numbers are a multiple of the reported numbers.

There is no excuse 18 months after covid locked down 1/2 the world for the Thai authorities not to have learned from the experience of other countries. Their piecemeal haphazard penny pinching approach will kill a large number of Thai people.

I can’t think of one thing I see the Thais learning from other countries. Everything from road safety to a fully functioning democracy is viewed as a complex issue, the solution of which simply can’t apply in Thailand.

It always strikes me as odd that countries (not just Thailand) don’t look for best practice around the world. 

11 hours ago, Tjampman said:

Difference is that UK has vaccinated most of their elderly, so people are not getting hospitalized as much any more.  (and UK is testing a lot more)

So let's hope the Thailand can keep the numbers down, though it looks to go the wrong way.

Thailand has proven itself able to manage things with basic measures. However, I'm afraid that they may have worn out the population's patience and getting them to comply this time around may be one ask too many. We'll all know by mid-August.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

If I had to bet, I would put money on the worst case scenario. eg, 32,000 new Covid cases a day.

Personally, don't think it will become this extreme. 

1 hour ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

If I had to bet, I would put money on the worst case scenario. eg, 32,000 new Covid cases a day.

Would that be actual cases or just the government published figures, two very different cases ?