Phuket officials concerned over “Sandboxers” who test positive for Covid on arrival

Thaiger

Out of the so-called “Sandboxers” who tested positive for Covid-19 since the Phuket reopening started on July 1, half of the infections were detected after the first test taken at the airport on arrival. The positive results conflict with the travellers’ negative results issued no more than 72 hours before departure, a requirement under the “Phuket Sandbox” model. Noticing a trend, provincial authorities raised their concerns over the conflicting test results with both the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Tourism Authority of Thailand. Out of the 16 “Phuket Sandbox” travellers who tested positive for Covid-19 as of this weekend, […]

The post Phuket officials concerned over “Sandboxers” who test positive for Covid on arrival appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is of great concern.  Were all of those who tested positive also vaccinated?  I wonder if any of them might have entered using false vaccination documentation....

• Like 3

Stop administering a 2nd test on arrival. Either require a negative test administered within the last 72 hours, and no new test on arrival, OR just administer a rapid test on arrival.

It's laughable that they don't understand how common false positives are when it's been widely reported and acknowledged, but they still rely on them, so much so that it's a requirement to be allowed on their land. Unreal.

I wonder at what Ct (Cycle Threshold) they are running their PCR tests with. Results could vary from different manufacturers of tests.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jwd said:

This is of great concern.  Were all of those who tested positive also vaccinated?  I wonder if any of them might have entered using false vaccination documentation....

This is probably what's happening, they barely checked my test results, no confirmation/contact to the lab or doctor/clinic. 

44 minutes ago, ThaiFoodGuy said:

Stop administering a 2nd test on arrival. Either require a negative test administered within the last 72 hours, and no new test on arrival, OR just administer a rapid test on arrival.

It's laughable that they don't understand how common false positives are when it's been widely reported and acknowledged, but they still rely on them, so much so that it's a requirement to be allowed on their land. Unreal.

Actually false positives are extremely unlikely with PCR tests

• Like 1

It has to be either fake documents or the use of substandard testing labs. When Hawaii reopened last October, you were required to only use pre approved testing labs. Seemed daunting at first as they needed to get  labs approved from some 49 states and Japan just to open. Took a little time to work out the kinks but it’s worked seamlessly now for several months. 

Well, that was to be expected.

Some of these tourists were children who did not have to be vaccinated. And meanwhile we know, that people who have been vaccinated can also carry the virus. But since the viral load is very low, transmission is unlikely. A vaccination never protects against infection, it only helps to fight it und protects us in most cases against serious illness.

Probable reason adult travellers test positive:
The travelers has been infected prior to departure, but the viral load was yet too low for a positive test in their home country.

Possible reason:
The smear test in the home country was made less thorough.

Unlikely:
The test in Thailand was not performed correctly or there is a false positive result. As I heard, there is always made a second test if there is a positive result.

Very unlikely:
The traveler got infected during the trip. Then it would be a miracle if the viral load had increased so quickly that a positive test on arrival resulted.

• Like 3

Are people still not getting it? Can we not see the fact that double vaccinated people are being tested is simply ludicrous, when we were all promised that lives would be returned after vaccination! Could it be they lied to us?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many possible causes:

1 Test is done up to 72 hours before travel, so the visitor might catch the virus before traveling.   They could estimate the expected incidence rate for this.

2 False positives in Thailand

3 Low sensitivity of test in home country.

4 Corruption in home country, e.g. fake certificates

5 Corruption in "destination country" (some entities profit from test failures)

I would start by looking at which countries the test failure come from & if there is a pattern, check if fake test certificates are easily procured there.   OR add a good quality lateral flow test at check in time.

Incidentally, since they vaccinated 70% of the Phuket population before opening, surely that means they expect a few incoming visitors with covid ?

Also, there were already many cases on Phuket before they opened up, so a low incidence amongst visitors should not be a cause for alarm.

The PCR test results I’ve received in the past in the US would be really easily forgeable with off the shelf software. Not to mention our vaccination cards, which are woefully insecure (and e-commerce platforms have been removing blank/counterfeit ones).

Of course the Thais are going to find ferangs with covid, then they can move these ferangs to quarantine and make three times what the ferangs were going to pay in their already overpriced sandbox hotels.

Tests have already been proved defective in Portugal. The Thais testing are on Phuket the rip of island of Thailand. Any chance that the International Red Cross can test - no chance.

They are even putting none contagious ferangs in quarantine the only came in contact with the supposed contagious! The supposed contagious that were tested by Thais.

This all a big Thai racket to scam foreigners.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

The PCR test results I’ve received in the past in the US would be really easily forgeable with off the shelf software. Not to mention our vaccination cards, which are woefully insecure (and e-commerce platforms have been removing blank/counterfeit ones).

We get Q code from our NHS as proof of vacation, new one issued monthly. 

2 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Of course the Thais are going to find ferangs with covid, then they can move these ferangs to quarantine and make three times what the ferangs were going to pay in their already overpriced sandbox hotels.

Tests have already been proved defective in Portugal. The Thais testing are on Phuket the rip of island of Thailand. Any chance that the International Red Cross can test - no chance.

They are even putting none contagious ferangs in quarantine the only came in contact with the supposed contagious! The supposed contagious that were tested by Thais.

Thai Airways are putting un tested Thais on the same flights as farrang who require one, Heathrow. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, PhayakPeter said:

Thai Airways are putting un tested Thais on the same flights as farrang who require one, Heathrow. 

Thai Airway! Such is their corruption if they flew with two engines they would switch one off to save fuel and arrive late. lol.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

It has to be either fake documents or the use of substandard testing labs. When Hawaii reopened last October, you were required to only use pre approved testing labs. Seemed daunting at first as they needed to get  labs approved from some 49 states and Japan just to open. Took a little time to work out the kinks but it’s worked seamlessly now for several months. 

Have you noticed in the report, that it mentions a number of cases that are not detected on the arrival test, but are detected on a test 3 days later. As the initial PCR test has to be not more than 72 hours before take off and flights may take the best part of 24 hours, should we really be so surprised that a number of cases are not being picked up until the second post-arrival test? 

One of the key elements in detectability is viral load. From what i've read, this can take from 2-7 days to be sufficient enough to register on a test.

2 hours ago, Thaired said:

Are people still not getting it? Can we not see the fact that double vaccinated people are being tested is simply ludicrous, when we were all promised that lives would be returned after vaccination! Could it be they lied to us?

I don't know what variants they are detecting, but I have read that Delta is a quite serious gamechanger regarding immunity. I saw a report on Sky News UK, where 20% of those hospitalised in Bolton, UK wrre fully vaxxed. It did add that those who were fully vaxxed, had better recover rates.

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Have you noticed in the report, that it mentions a number of cases that are not detected on the arrival test, but are detected on a test 3 days later. As the initial PCR test has to be not more than 72 hours before take off and flights may take the best part of 24 hours, should we really be so surprised that a number of cases are not being picked up until the second post-arrival test? 

One of the key elements in detectability is viral load. From what i've read, this can take from 2-7 days to be sufficient enough to register on a test.

Or could be from the Bangkokians, that were being allowed in with no vaccines, and only lateral flow test.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

Or could be from the Bangkokians, that were being allowed in with no vaccines, and only lateral flow test.

I'm sure that my suggestion is not the only explanation, but I am surprised that TH appear to be looking on these events as inexplicable.

However, I hadn't thought of your explanation. TYVM

37 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

The report unfortunately and as expectedly  leaves much to be desired as far as data. It said there are 16 positives, seven found at arrival and one on day three. When did the other six test positive? Just as important in my opinion, exactly what is the vaccine breakdown of those testing positive? It's known data and yet I have yet to see it published. Pfizer, Moderna, Sinovac, Sinopharm, AZ (one dose or two)? It's all known and would be very interesting to say the least.  

• Like 1

16 out of 7,462 means 0.21% tests are positive and 99.71% are negative. How can that happen?
- the PCR test before departure could have been false negative
- the PCR test on arrival or the second test at Phuket after arrival could have beenfalse positive
- the travellers could get infected short time before arrival or in Thailand

Btw: 
- Being testet positive on Corona doesn’t mean, that you can infect other people. 
- 50% of the first 10 travelers tested positive on Corona were NOT vaccinated because they are kids.

All in all the numbers are much better that had to be expected.

5 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

No saying thats the fact, but I wouldnt be surprised if it were.....

If I were to even try to enter I would bring my own instant test kits in case i became "positive"upon arrival

on the other side if the Isolation issue, I know a Thai person who last week returned to her town and was forced into Thai quarantine. She says the rooms a very very basic with old style TV no sheets or towels or toiletries. She has been to uni so is not basic in her intelligence and says the general Thai public are reading on social media various herbs and techniques to defeat covid19. The hotel in the provincial capital has an ambulance come a few times a day to the hospital to pick up seriously ill people. She said the food is so bad that she orders in food delivery each day and that a minibus comes to pick a few of them every time they have to go for a test, this gives them the chance to go to the local cafe/foodstall, amazing

If the Phuket residents were vaccinated and i mean if, and all the tourists are definitely vaccinated and tested both in their own country and on arrival how can this be happening?