PM orders Thai Navy to postpone submarine purchases as pandemic rages

Thaiger

The Thai PM has instructed the Navy to postpone the planned purchase of 2 Chinese submarines, saying the funds must be diverted to fight Covid-19. The controversial 22.5 billion purchase was already postponed for a year last August. The Bangkok Post reports that Kongcheep Tantrawanich from the Defence Ministry says the PM has ordered a further postponement given the extent of the Covid-19 crisis. The order comes just a day after the Royal Thai Navy vowed to proceed with the purchase. According to the PM, the funds must be diverted to provide assistance for those struggling as a result of […]

The post PM orders Thai Navy to postpone submarine purchases as pandemic rages appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Strange. Yesterday the Navy claimed that there would be severe consequences with China if they postponed the order.

Somebody not telling the whole truth.  My guess is that the selellected PM try to get some sympathy from the Thai citizens  for pretending being a nice fellow and savior of Thailand.  A bit pathetic but shows his real nature me think.

• Like 2

According to the PM, the funds must be diverted to provide assistance for those struggling as a result of the financial devastation caused by the pandemic.

Sounds good. But hey, here's also a good idea. How about at least trying to get some more vaccines which people ask. Solve this and the rest will be solved too. Give them financial assistance is not going to the root of the problem even if it sounds like kindness. 

As people might have seen, I'm a bit sceptical about Covid, but if a vaccine is what it takes to bring everything back to normal, then just do it. 

What happened yesterday is where they also could save some money on, because if they spend it on the right thing, there's no reason to protect yourself because the people will actually like the leaders. 

Postponed .. again .. in essence a statement just to get the heat off his/their abysmal handling of the Vax situation .. they won't cancel because of the contractual obligations so next best is " postpone " to a later date .. 

Loved the bit where he says he's gonna get someone else to tell China .. 

• Like 1

And the subs were opposed by the upstanding people's choice of awarded person, Thamanat, yours truly Mr. I didn't do anything powder head. My son just said everyone knows this is just acting as they want to look like they care about the people.

The Chinese respond. Well at least buy the periscopes, we've made the periscopes. You can use them for spying on the protestors.

Edited by TobyAndrews
mistake

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

So the claim they couldn’t postpone wasn’t quite right after all. They should just cancel the order outright. 

They probably can't do that because an initial payment on signing of the contracts has been paid by the Thai government and I would assume most of that initial down payment has already been diverted to certain peoples offshore accounts so hence they have to proceed at some future date anyway.

Is this the first crack in the armour of the Liar King?

The first visable sign he is starting to feel some fear, because of all the criticism about himself and his criminal comrades?

Is the real world finaly invading his fantasy world? 

Let's wait and see.

Just now, javada88 said:

Is this the first crack in the armour of the Liar King?

The first visable sign he is starting to feel some fear, because of all the criticism about himself and his criminal comrades?

Is the real world finaly invading his fantasy world? 

Let's wait and see.

Doubt it, he is just the gullible figurehead taking money, its the puppet master who controls things, well currently anyway.

I think they bought a Stealth Fighter Jet instead. Very pricey and very stealthy. People will not complain it is a secret. It landed in Phuket with a couple of tourists see picture below

3 hours ago, Rebel said:

Strange. Yesterday the Navy claimed that there would be severe consequences with China if they postponed the order.

Somebody not telling the whole truth.  My guess is that the selellected PM try to get some sympathy from the Thai citizens  for pretending being a nice fellow and savior of Thailand.  A bit pathetic but shows his real nature me think.

no more than another PR exercise as is with the red bull case they've been found out wanting and now covering their backs,there more spin doctor than real doctor administrating vaccines

There's definitely heat on this issue. At a time of national crisis military spending should be put on hold and the welfare of the citizens should come first. I for one would think that the Chinese knows the situation in Thailand and would not force selling military equipment to them right now. However, to have someone come out and say the right thing is important because no one wants to add fuel to the fire right now.