Cigarette smoking on condo balconies and public areas outside shops / restuarants.

Maplesyrup

23 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Except for restaurants with outdoor seating and the like, Thailand is a verifiable paradise for non-smokers as its simply not allowed. The law is about as strict (and strictly complied with) as in California, Australia and Singapore.

By contrast, many of Thailand's neighbors have far looser restrictions (if any). In Vietnam, smoking is still common in many restaurants, that aren't chain restaurants, mall restaurants or otherwise fully enclosed. In China, smoking is essentially the norm in restaurants, except fast food and mall restaurants. Indonesia is a smoker's paradise.

I guess I am looking at my normal way in North America where you can't smoke at a restaurant even in an outdoor patio 

And not that many people smoke 

To then come to Thailand where so many Europeans smoke 

It is quite unpleasant for me

But, as I said, if they are allowed to by the bar/restaurant than so be it

23 hours ago, Highlandman said:

Agreed.

That being said, I think most European smokers who visit Thailand know where smoking is allowed and where it isn't (with a few exceptions).

Pattaya go go bars, which are halfway open-air: smoking is either permitted or tolerated. Upmarket Bangkok nightclubs: smoking isn't permitted inside, only outdoors in designated areas and this seems to be fairly strictly adhered to these days. 

Restaurants: open air restaurants in Pattaya and Phuket: smoking possibly permitted in outdoor areas, depending on the establishment. 

Mall restaurants, fast food joints, enclosed restaurants with AC and predominately Thai places that may be partly open air: smoking not permitted. 

Since 2007 when smoking was banned indoors, even in nightclubs (exceptions in certain places as mentioned) I have hardly ever had any issues with people smoking around me. Thais simply don't and I haven't noticed tourists doing so either. Perhaps due to not hanging out at touristy places in Pattaya, I don't get to experience the possible degeneracy and rude behavior that goes on there, which may leave me in the dark about whether smoking is an issue in these places. However, in my extensive experience of living and traveling in Thailand, I can honestly say Thais are by and large very disciplined and respectful of anti-smoking ordinances, unlike the Chinese, Indonesians, Russians and Koreans, among others.

Also, perhaps since I don't hang out in touristy areas (I've never even been to Samui for instance) means I am used to seeing what Thais do and how they act, not foreigners. When I do visit touristy neighborhoods, it tends to be in neighboring countries (Pham Ngu Lao in HCMC, pub Street in Siem Reap etc.)

Yeah we have a house in Nonthaburi and I never really thought about it

But I can't recall seeing anyone smoke, at all

Not once

Very pleasant for me....