The Singapore Covid experiment – is there a path to the new normal?

Thaiger

“Singapore’s reopening would be gradual, package by package, nothing big bang. Each step of the way, make sure we keep populations safe.” Singapore, with its 5.7 million residents, is looking to a longer term blueprint to manage Covid. Whilst some countries are still committee to containing and controlling the virus, some Singaporean ministers are imagining a future where Covid is a part of life in the island state that needs to be managed as part of the wider public health system. Only 36 people have died of Covid-19 in Singapore, a remarkably low number, considering the 62,913 Covid infections detected […]

The post The Singapore Covid experiment – is there a path to the new normal? appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This struck me as a terrific plan when they announced it a week ago. Since then, it has become apparent that Delta is a bigger problem than we originally feared.

Supposedly Singapore will start relaxing one or two restrictions at the end of this month, and will continue, step-by-step until reaching almost complete normality in October.  Sadly, none of this will happen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

about 6 millions residents, no long borders,

makes no sense to talk about it against what happens in Thailand,

same about big Australia, but not easy to cross the borders

11 hours ago, satpete said:

about 6 millions residents, no long borders,

makes no sense to talk about it against what happens in Thailand,

same about big Australia, but not easy to cross the borders

Yep - very hard to leave or enter Australia now.  The vast majority of new infection outbreaks are actually linked to new arrivals and returnees.  Go figure eh - the virus travelled the world because of people in Wuhan China travelling for their New Year. Who would have figured that the best way to stop the virus was to stop people coming into their country?? Lots of lessons to be learned for the next pandemic (about 2120?) but what is the bet they will all be forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Yep - very hard to leave or enter Australia now.  The vast majority of new infection outbreaks are actually linked to new arrivals and returnees.  Go figure eh - the virus travelled the world because of people in Wuhan China travelling for their New Year. Who would have figured that the best way to stop the virus was to stop people coming into their country?? Lots of lessons to be learned for the next pandemic (about 2120?) but what is the bet they will all be forgotten.

Much like the lessons learned in 1918-20. We remembered the lessons but people haven't changed much in the intervening century so nobody abided by the rules. same-same all over again

• Like 1

There Is No 'New Normal'

Prior to mid April 2021, I could not imagine an end to restrictions and a normal social life. Part of the problem was that I was in NYC -home of the worlds most severe, lengthy lockdown. So, I finally rented a villa on Florida's Space Coast. When I arrived I was in shock: everything was back to normal. On my arrival day, the Uber driver shook my hand after dropping me off at my place -blew my mind. Went to a bar the next night & it was rockin' -full of people which after 14 months in NYC, REALLY blew my mind.  The point is that y'all have to be patient - no need to form a new future (aka normal) since it will quickly be discarded. Somehow, Asia must get vaccines -that's where Florida succeeded and New York failed miserably (but even in NYC, masks are no longer worn).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CondoPaidFor,NoCarPayment said:

There Is No 'New Normal'

Prior to mid April 2021, I could not imagine an end to restrictions and a normal social life. Part of the problem was that I was in NYC -home of the worlds most severe, lengthy lockdown. So, I finally rented a villa on Florida's Space Coast. When I arrived I was in shock: everything was back to normal. On my arrival day, the Uber driver shook my hand after dropping me off at my place -blew my mind. Went to a bar the next night & it was rockin' -full of people which after 14 months in NYC, REALLY blew my mind.  The point is that y'all have to be patient - no need to form a new future (aka normal) since it will quickly be discarded. Somehow, Asia must get vaccines -that's where Florida succeeded and New York failed miserably (but even in NYC, masks are no longer worn).

The problem in Florida is that they took the "it's just like the flu for younger people" narrative seriously. It's true that they protected their older residents both in the social measures phase and the vaccination phase. However, the vaccination phase suffered from the Happy Days Are Here, Again denial of the "protect the elderly" plan. Florida, has had a total of 38,000 deaths, slightly below the national average, but has fully vaccinated less than half of its eligible population. The Miami Herald notes that Florida now represents 20% of the COVID cases in the entire country. COVID case rates have doubled over the past week (Fox News, yesterday) and the positivity rate is now over 10% which indicates cases are higher than reported.

So, I agree that Florida did handle the epidemic better than most, but this is not over, as Florida's own numbers show, and saying they "succeeded" might be a bit premature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, CondoPaidFor,NoCarPayment said:

There Is No 'New Normal'

Yes I think you make excellent points here. We don’t have to accept a “new normal”. The way out of this is herd immunity through vaccination. It is time for the developed countries to really ramp up supplies to other countries. We all know there is corruption and money will be made by the elites in many of these countries. But let’s look past that for now and let’s get the world back on its feet. Even if we supply free of charge 100 million doses to Thailand, they will still give us grief at immigration, but so what, let’s look beyond that for now 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CondoPaidFor,NoCarPayment said:

There Is No 'New Normal'

It truly amazes me how fearful people are and I blame Govts who want their citizens terrified so they can bring in ridiculous laws. The FACTS are being totally ignored. Most healthy people under 55 don't even know they have it. JOHN Rahm a perfect example. Won an Open Torny a week after he was supposed to have died if you believe the Govt. I am 100% in favor of vaccinating anyone who wants or needs it and letting the others roll the dice. Vaxx'd people may still catch it but more chance of dying in a crash than dying of C19.

One thing is 100% certain  the money printing machines have to (counties r already bankrupt)  get turnt off so THE WORLD HAS TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH THE VIRUS. Sweden had it right from day one. Florida , Sth Dakota etc have it spot on. States like NY and California are nightmares in progress.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, JamesE said:

The problem in Florida is that they took the "it's just like the flu for younger people" narrative seriously. It's true that they protected their older residents both in the social measures phase and the vaccination phase. However, the vaccination phase suffered from the Happy Days Are Here, Again denial of the "protect the elderly" plan. Florida, has had a total of 38,000 deaths, slightly below the national average, but has fully vaccinated less than half of its eligible population. The Miami Herald notes that Florida now represents 20% of the COVID cases in the entire country. COVID case rates have doubled over the past week (Fox News, yesterday) and the positivity rate is now over 10% which indicates cases are higher than reported.

So, I agree that Florida did handle the epidemic better than most, but this is not over, as Florida's own numbers show, and saying they "succeeded" might be a bit premature.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is everyone in Florida could get the Vaxx tomorrow if they wanted to. That to me is success. And the economy there is thriving v's dead in the likes of California. 

If unvacc'd ppl catch it and die then as the Thais say "up to you".  Don't blame others for your own stupidity or stubbornness. I believe in personal responsibility.  I get Vaxxd soon but suggest to my young adult kids to stay unvacc'd because the flu won't kill them so why get injected with a trial drug.  There is every chance the flu would kill me so I'll roll the dice with the vaccine and hope.  Personal responsibility.  Get vaxxd and be safe and don't worry about others.

16 minutes ago, EverHopeful said:

And the economy there is thriving v's dead in the likes of California. 

Is there another California than the one in the US? Because this one’s economy is roaring. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Is there another California than the one in the US? Because this one’s economy is roaring. 

That's why so many companies, large and small are leaving,  Newsom (now recalled) bankrupting the state with his bum buddy Biden having to bail it out, bums all over the streets and beaches, shops unable to get staff because heaps living of the state, for the first time ever more people left California than came to it. Highest state taxes in the US.I could go on.

Maybe it's ok in your little neck of the woods. Are schools allowed back yet?  How's that compulsory mask wearing going?

We clearly have different definitions of booming. Florida didn't need bailing out BTW.

Newsom isn’t recalled yet (hopefully but not likely), the state is actually flush with cash and those businesses leaving are doing so in a lot smaller numbers than the media would like you to believe. As for people leaving, the number is quite low, what is mostly happening is they are moving instate. From the Bay Area to places like Tahoe and lower down the coast. Still none of that changes the fact the state economy is booming right now. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EdwardV said:

Newsom isn’t recalled yet (hopefully but not likely), the state is actually flush with cash and those businesses leaving are doing so in a lot smaller numbers than the media would like you to believe. As for people leaving, the number is quite low, what is mostly happening is they are moving instate. From the Bay Area to places like Tahoe and lower down the coast. Still none of that changes the fact the state economy is booming right now. 

You are right about the media and it makes sense Cal is flush with money. The world is because the printing press is red hot. They have been giving the stuff away. I read the other day the UK furlough system is costing them 1.7 bill a day. It just can't continue. 

I am confused by the recall thing as candidates are lining up. Documents been lodged and court accepted. 

On 7/18/2021 at 12:23 PM, CondoPaidFor,NoCarPayment said:

There Is No 'New Normal'

Preach, Biggie Smalls.

4 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Newsom isn’t recalled yet (hopefully but not likely), the state is actually flush with cash 

Booming with CV19 federal bail out cash, or has that already been gobbled up by those in charge there?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EverHopeful said:

I am confused by the recall thing as candidates are lining up. Documents been lodged and court accepted. 

In California, when recalled you retain your post and are forced to run as a candidate against everyone else. Therefore Newsom is still governor and if he wins the election will remain so. Unfortunately he will probably win again. Only once in history has a governor of California been recalled. 

9 hours ago, EdwardV said:

In California, when recalled you retain your post and are forced to run as a candidate against everyone else. Therefore Newsom is still governor and if he wins the election will remain so. Unfortunately he will probably win again. Only once in history has a governor of California been recalled. 

That will signal that many states in the US are truly lost. Nearly every Dem state appears to be an economic, woke, CRT, Anti Police cesspit heading towards true communism at full pace.

There hopefully will never be another civil war but the time must be coming when some states do a Brixit and say sorry we're leaving you to your mess. Bidens lolli scramble to all the failed Dem States has to be a driver.

Would be great to watch Dem states totally fail.