Covid UPDATE Saturday: 10,082 new infections, news briefs

Thaiger

This morning the public health department has announced 10,082 new infections & 141 Covid-related deaths over the past 24 hours across Thailand. The two figures are a record number of cases for the Kingdom and sweep the numbers over the psychological barriers of 10,000 cases and 100 sad deaths. 127 cases today were from the Thai prison system. • Last night the Australian and Canadian Embassies announced a limited rollout of vaccines for expats living in Thailand at this time. For Australians, at least, they’ll need to get to Bangkok tomorrow (Sunday) to receive their free AstraZeneca vaccines.Registrations close at […]

The post Covid UPDATE Saturday: 10,082 new infections, news briefs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Statement about EU adding Thailand is misleading quarantine only applies to Non Vaccinated returnee’s - anyone visiting Phuket under sandbox has to be fully vaccinated so they have no issues returning Home - more media scaremongering 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was always going to happen - and there it is - 10,000 in one day - and 141 deaths.   I would not be surprised to see some PR messages over the weekend - followed by some even more serious lockdowns and restrictions announced on Monday/Tuesday.  Now might be a good time to visit Makro and stock up on essential items - before others do the same and they are gone.  But please - do not take all the toilet paper like the bogans here and in UK/USA did - learn to use the bum gun. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Statement about EU adding Thailand is misleading quarantine only applies to Non Vaccinated returnee’s - anyone visiting Phuket under sandbox has to be fully vaccinated so they have no issues returning Home - more media scaremongering 

I think you misread it. Its for people going to Europe from Thailand. They now have to quarantine upon arrival. not people coming from Europe to Thailand!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

It was always going to happen - and there it is - 10,000 in one day - and 141 deaths.   I would not be surprised to see some PR messages over the weekend - followed by some even more serious lockdowns and restrictions announced on Monday/Tuesday.  Now might be a good time to visit Makro and stock up on essential items - before others do the same and they are gone.  But please - do not take all the toilet paper like the bogans here and in UK/USA did - learn to use the bum gun. 

Careful Bob, you may cause a panic :)

Edited by AlexPTY
  • Haha 3

Suffice to say the October ‘reopening’ of Thailand is now looking less hopeful” - the question is will the powers that be agree? If you keep open Samui and Phuket because incoming tourist are of little risk, then why stop opening other areas? Or if you are worried, then why aren’t you shutting down Samui and Phuket? 

• Like 1

The US citizen Astra Zeneca vaccinations scheduled for 7/18 at 4pm at Bang Sue station; queue full when I tried at 9:15 this morning.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Maverick said:

No, I think it's more media not know what they talk about !

• Like 1

I have been afraid of this happening and commented many times on the issue. Not enough vaccinations, lockdowns or restrictions in place sooner,now it could be about to blow up in their faces. Prevention was the key, and this might have been avoided .

• Like 3

By looking the growing number in ICU and people on ventilators it was pretty obvious that sooner or later this might happen. Daily case numbers were never a good indicator in Thailand due to the lack of testing (some hospitals only test 900 a day and many charges 2-3-4000 thb) I bet tomorrow's numbers will be a bit lower due to the weekend and many people will start seeing that as a declining trend. This has nothing to do with the sandboxes, so they might as well open the country because fully vaccinated tourists-expats-returnees pose virtually no risk to locals, but the other way around.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maverick said:

Being in the EU I thought the point was the Thailand had lost is green/safe status. It's all in flus here but the EU is starting to pull together with covid travel passports already issued and a common policy on 3rd countries eg UK or Thailand

11 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I think you misread it. Its for people going to Europe from Thailand. They now have to quarantine upon arrival. not people coming from Europe to Thailand!!!

Actually there is a knock on effect. Individual EU governments look to the official EU 'rating' on non EU countries and adjust their own foreign affairs guidance. This can mean that travel insurance is voided for an orange or red rated country.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Suffice to say the October ‘reopening’ of Thailand is now looking less hopeful” - the question is will the powers that be agree? If you keep open Samui and Phuket because incoming tourist are of little risk, then why stop opening other areas? Or if you are worried, then why aren’t you shutting down Samui and Phuket? 

I think that the 70/80% vaccination rate of locals may be a factor......

• Like 3

I was trying to write funny, sarcastic posts in these forums but when it comes to jokes, it's hard to beat the governemt.  source:  https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2150207/troops-to-begin-door-to-door-tests

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the armed forces and the national police to join hands with City Hall to arrange for more than 200 rapid deployment teams to carry out door-to-door testing for Covid-19 in the worst-hit parts of the city.

They should have been rapid deployed 3 months ago

Those who test positive for the disease and have significant symptoms will be immediately transferred to a field hospital. 

Significant symptoms to field hospitals? Who can get to the hospitals? The dead?

Herbal medicines made from green chiretta (Andrographis paniculata) and some fever-reducing drugs will also be provided.

What's next? Shamans?

The prime minister also ordered Isoc to install Tu Pun Sook "happiness-sharing cabinets" in various communities to boost efforts to provide relief to the most affected people, he said.

no comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, BainaiThai said:

The US citizen Astra Zeneca vaccinations scheduled for 7/18 at 4pm at Bang Sue station; queue full when I tried at 9:15 this morning.

Yes, makes you wonder how many jabs they had to give Americans.  Now the Embassy can say they provided an opportunity, so their hands are clean.  I am happy for the Bangkok people who got registered.  Hopefully they won't do this just once, and that they also bring some to Chiang Mai.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I think that the 70/80% vaccination rate of locals may be a factor......

While I agree, are you sure the government does? When it was a problem for the Phuket opening , the government just changed the rules instead. They have also shown a willingness to concentrate what vaccines are available in order to open certain area at the expense of others. If I were a betting man, I would lay a small wager BKK will open come October. 

29 minutes ago, PatrickSatoLee said:

Thailand, you do not need to compete with Malaysia for Covid numbers. 

Thailand - Covid Hub ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, EdwardV said:

While I agree, are you sure the government does? When it was a problem for the Phuket opening , the government just changed the rules instead. They have also shown a willingness to concentrate what vaccines are available in order to open certain area at the expense of others. If I were a betting man, I would lay a small wager BKK will open come October. 

I think you are certainly right about vaccines being directed to Bangkok  -  and that does make sense. Also, for Thailand to re-open, Bangkok needs to re-open.

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

692708364_51iR7TVLBL._SX328_BO1204203200_.jpg.b87d2c9270363d9bfc747d940578ca38.jpg

It's indeed appropriate. It looks like the government's answer to the vaccine shortages is....... wait.... 42

sooo looong and thanks for all the fishes.

43 minutes ago, BookShe said:

By looking the growing number in ICU and people on ventilators it was pretty obvious that sooner or later this might happen. Daily case numbers were never a good indicator in Thailand due to the lack of testing (some hospitals only test 900 a day and many charges 2-3-4000 thb) I bet tomorrow's numbers will be a bit lower due to the weekend and many people will start seeing that as a declining trend. This has nothing to do with the sandboxes, so they might as well open the country because fully vaccinated tourists-expats-returnees pose virtually no risk to locals, but the other way around.

I cannot agree, thailand should never have tried opening up during a new wave of covid especially the delta highly infectious strain until they got a working vaccination program up and fully operational , any outsiders even having been vaccinated is not guaranteed 100% safe,there must be  no exceptions or the virus will continue to infect. I think the numbers are going to jump. Daily case numbers can never be completely accurate .