Phuket Sandbox looking ahead to Russian, UK travellers

Thaiger

While the daily rollercoaster ride of the Phuket Sandbox tourist launch, with the jump from 7 to 14 days, the last-minute approval, the problems getting a Certificate of Entry, and the few cases of Covid-19 infections, it’s easy to overlook the forest for the tree. But if viewed not as a full reopening to the pre-Covid-19 heydays but rather as ambitious baby steps to welcoming back international travellers, the Phuket Sandbox has been reasonably successful and tourism businesses feel optimistic. Changes next week may make it easier for UK travellers to come, and a push is on to let Russian […]

The post Phuket Sandbox looking ahead to Russian, UK travellers appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

17 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Phuket Sandbox looking ahead to Russian, UK travellers

I'm surprised the space project hasn't been mentioned yet.
Reflecting the immigration view of us, I thought the whole point of it was to get more 'aliens' to enter Thailand?

• Haha 6

As long as your eyes are pointing forward (normal case for predators) we are all looking ahead.

On the other hand, Uk and Russia is in the top 10 in terms of new daily cases. Thailand is on the right track to join this club. My suggestion is to create a reverse travel bubble with these countries, so our infected people could travel freely with their infected people. TAT is already looking into this revolutionary idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I’m keen to return to Thailand, but not like this. I’m less bothered about the change from 7-14 days. After all, there are far worse places to be stuck for 14 days (Bangkok hotel room for example). I would also be using the sandbox as a slightly more palatable way to re-enter Thailand.  The real issues for me in priority of concern are:

Being in close contact and then having to isolate. Too much confusion and uncertainty of what this will be, where it will be and how much it will cost. If it was 7 days in your hotel room then fine (no hidden costs apart from having to pay hotel prices for food). However a trip to a private hospital costing you 50,000-100,000 baht and then fighting to get it back from your insurance company if you don’t test positive is too much. 

The hassle with all of the extra Covid insurance and applying for the COE. This is on top of the visa application and is just too much hassle. I may have no choice if I want to return this year, as it’s likely to continue for many months  

The number of PCR tests is too much. One on arrival or after day 3 is fine but no more. 

The place will be virtually closed. Hardly the enjoyable place it was pre-pandemic. Less of a problem for me as I’m not a tourist and using it as a more convenient way to renter Thailand. If I was a real tourist then this would be higher up the list, possibly top. 

Thailand case numbers are increasing and it could get very serious. Not so big an issue for me as I have a need to return. If I was looking at a holiday, this would be much higher on the list and if I had children with me, then no chance and this would be top of the list. 

Edited by Soidog
Typo
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Being in close contact and then having to isolate. Too much confusion and uncertainty of what this will be, where it will be and how much it will cost.

If you would come here for a short period (vacation) it's a high risk imho. If you are planning to stay here it might be worth the risk. As time goes by fewer arrivals on the planes. I think it was 200+ today on two flights. It means you can really separate on the plane, so the small chance to sit next to a high-risk person is even smaller. COE, insurance, and the pricey PCR tests don't make a short visit favorable. On the positive note, you wouldn't have to deal with a lot of traffic, suicidal drivers, and the beach can be all yours. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BookShe said:

If you would come here for a short period (vacation) it's a high risk imho. If you are planning to stay here it might be worth the risk. As time goes by fewer arrivals on the planes. I think it was 200+ today on two flights. It means you can really separate on the plane, so the small chance to sit next to a high-risk person is even smaller. COE, insurance, and the pricey PCR tests don't make a short visit favorable. On the positive note, you wouldn't have to deal with a lot of traffic, suicidal drivers, and the beach can be all yours. 

Thanks for this. Yes I’m less bothered about the bars and nightlife etc. Happy to rent a bike and relax on a quiet beach. 

Just on your point about empty planes (which is a good point and encouraging), it would be nice to have clarity on what being “in close contact” means for the Thai authorities. If I’m sat next to someone or across the aisle from a person but the flight is empty and I move to another seat on the plane. I doubt that will be taken in to consideration as my official seat number would show close contact? Even the fact I’m on the same plane may be regarded as “close contact”?  I’d book business class if the authorities made it clear that such a separation would not class as close contact. I’ll see how many more unfortunate people get caught up in this potential mess and if it quietens down I will look to risk it in late August or September. 
Thanks again, that’s useful feedback. It would  be good to hear more from people who have used the sandbox. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

If I’m sat next to someone or across the aisle from a person but the flight is empty and I move to another seat on the plane. I doubt that will be taken in to consideration as my official seat number would show close contact? Even the fact I’m on the same plane may be regarded as “close contact”?

If you move seats, you can ask the flight attendant to write this on your boarding pass. You can also make photo evidence of your new seat and that nobody was around you.  (not a bulletproof idea and it can be rejected by the Thai officials.) As far as I know, this close contact accident only happened to one person out of the 5000 arrivals. Also, they didn't consider the whole plain as high risk. Save your money on a business ticket in case you have to pay for the quarantine ASQ. (very small chance) I think they refund you the SHA+ money if you end up in ASQ but it is still a decent hotel with a balcony. In short two weeks, you can leave your room and might find yourself in a country that went full lockdown during your stay. :))))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand will go from amber to red in the UK soon meaning quarantine hotels at about 1700 quid over 14 days on a return- few will suffer that for a couple of weeks in Phuket.

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

As long as your eyes are pointing forward (normal case for predators) we are all looking ahead.

On the other hand, Uk and Russia is in the top 10 in terms of new daily cases. Thailand is on the right track to join this club. My suggestion is to create a reverse travel bubble with these countries, so our infected people could travel freely with their infected people. TAT is already looking into this revolutionary idea.

It is hardly surprising that the UK is in the top ten for new cases on a daily basis. They are currently averaging one million tests per day (latest figures show 229 million tests in total) so they are aware of what they are up against and dealing with it accordingly. Thailand has managed less than 9 million tests in total (with a similar population). In addition, approx 85% have had one vaccination (no Sinovac) and approx 67% have had 2 vaccinations. As of Monday 19 July, restrictions are being eased though my understanding is that most people are being very cautious.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike-Hunt said:

I'm surprised the space project hasn't been mentioned yet.
Reflecting the immigration view of us, I thought the whole point of it was to get more 'aliens' to enter Thailand?

Perhaps the Russians are not as stupid as the Phuket mafia had hoped they would be.

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Thanks for this. Yes I’m less bothered about the bars and nightlife etc. Happy to rent a bike and relax on a quiet beach. 

Just on your point about empty planes (which is a good point and encouraging), it would be nice to have clarity on what being “in close contact” means for the Thai authorities. If I’m sat next to someone or across the aisle from a person but the flight is empty and I move to another seat on the plane. I doubt that will be taken in to consideration as my official seat number would show close contact? Even the fact I’m on the same plane may be regarded as “close contact”?  I’d book business class if the authorities made it clear that such a separation would not class as close contact. I’ll see how many more unfortunate people get caught up in this potential mess and if it quietens down I will look to risk it in late August or September. 
Thanks again, that’s useful feedback. It would  be good to hear more from people who have used the sandbox. 

Regarding seat allocation, most airlines now give you a dedicated seat on flight changes at point of departure. I was thinking of asking the ground staff to locate me as remotely as possible when I arrive at DUB for the Doha-Phuket leg of my flight. I expect the outbound flight to Doha to be fairly empty.

However, several hours later when those with unreserved seats in Doha start to check-in, I think that plan may fail.

I wonder what the change to make it easier for travellers from the UK will be. The real bugbear is a test within 72 hours as our clinics are so overwhelmed it's a minimum 48 before you receive the result. Already close to impossible, It won't be long before you get the results after it's run out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I’m keen to return to Thailand, but not like this. I’m less bothered about the change from 7-14 days. After all, there are far worse places to be stuck for 14 days (Bangkok hotel room for example). I would also be using the sandbox as a slightly more palatable way to re-enter Thailand.  The real issues for me in priority of concern are:

Being in close contact and then having to isolate. Too much confusion and uncertainty of what this will be, where it will be and how much it will cost. If it was 7 days in your hotel room then fine (no hidden costs apart from having to pay hotel prices for food). However a trip to a private hospital costing you 50,000-100,000 baht and then fighting to get it back from your insurance company if you don’t test positive is too much. 

The hassle with all of the extra Covid insurance and applying for the COE. This is on top of the visa application and is just too much hassle. I may have no choice if I want to return this year, as it’s likely to continue for many months  

The number of PCR tests is too much. One on arrival or after day 3 is fine but no more. 

The place will be virtually closed. Hardly the enjoyable place it was pre-pandemic. Less of a problem for me as I’m not a tourist and using it as a more convenient way to renter Thailand. If I was a real tourist then this would be higher up the list, possibly top. 

Thailand case numbers are increasing and it could get very serious. Not so big an issue for me as I have a need to return. If I was looking at a holiday, this would be much higher on the list and if I had children with me, then no chance and this would be top of the list. 

Just on a point of info, the three Burmese were only detected as result of the 7 day test. Would 3 days guarantee that there was sufficient viral load to be detectable?

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

If you move seats, you can ask the flight attendant to write this on your boarding pass. You can also make photo evidence of your new seat and that nobody was around you.  (not a bulletproof idea and it can be rejected by the Thai officials.) As far as I know, this close contact accident only happened to one person out of the 5000 arrivals. Also, they didn't consider the whole plain as high risk. Save your money on a business ticket in case you have to pay for the quarantine ASQ. (very small chance) I think they refund you the SHA+ money if you end up in ASQ but it is still a decent hotel with a balcony. In short two weeks, you can leave your room and might find yourself in a country that went full lockdown during your stay. :))))

Your seat change idea, seems like a plan.

I am not sure about there only being one close contact case resulting in being confined to lockdown hotels. I got the impression that the Thais were embarrassed and may well not be disclosing other such incidents. There were three Burmese who were at large for seven days. Is it conceivable that they had no close contacts in Phuket in that seven days? 

I notice that there has been no mention of further internments since the first incident. The Thais have not actually said there has been no need to intern others, so I have to wonder if this is still being done on the quiet? 

But conversely, if it is happening, with the whole world having access to Internet, we should find out soon.

If you're not someone who normally lives here permanently(family etc), you'd have to be of a diminished capacity to give it a go.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

6 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Your seat change idea, seems like a plan.

I am not sure about there only being one close contact case resulting in being confined to lockdown hotels. I got the impression that the Thais were embarrassed and may well not be disclosing other such incidents. There were three Burmese who were at large for seven days. Is it conceivable that they had no close contacts in Phuket in that seven days? 

I notice that there has been no mention of further internments since the first incident. The Thais have not actually said there has been no need to intern others, so I have to wonder if this is still being done on the quiet? 

But conversely, if it is happening, with the whole world having access to Internet, we should find out soon.

As far as I know, there are 13 people as of today who arrived to the sandbox was tested positive. This is a simple case. You tets positive and you end up in quarantine. There was only one case of a German lady who was sitting close to a person on the plain who was tested +. Even though she was tested negative they classified her as high risk and moved her to quarantine.

•  

Looking at the text of this in the BKK Post, it seriously looks like a fluff piece put out by the PTA.

During the meantime, my experience of Russians in Pattaya, is that they can be a very obnoxious people. The idea that "The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming", is one less reason to board my flight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

•  

Looking at the text of this in the BKK Post, it seriously looks like a fluff piece put out by the PTA.

During the meantime, my experience of Russians in Pattaya, is that they can be a very obnoxious people. The idea that "The Russians are coming. The Russians are coming", is one less reason to board my flight.

Always asking us to exchange their money for them, dead giveaway, their money is not legit. 

• Like 1

Just now, BookShe said:

As far as I know, there are 13 people as of today who arrived to the sandbox was tested positive. This is a simple case. You tets positive and you end up in quarantine. There was only one case of a German lady who was sitting close to a person on the plain who was tested +. Even though she was tested negative they classified her as high risk and moved her to quarantine.

Regarding the German lady's flight, including herself, there were 13 others who were moved into quarantine. The others all asked to be allowed home and this was granted. These 13 also all tested negative. It is widely reported, especially on Thaiger.

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Regarding the German lady's flight, including herself, there were 13 others who were moved into quarantine. The others all asked to be allowed home and this was granted. These 13 also all tested negative. It is widely reported, especially on Thaiger.

The last time I was reading about this was a week ago so all I can tell you is what was reported back then.

The flight she was on was almost full. She was sitting around a very large family. One person from this family was tested positive and they wanted to put the whole family in quarantine. They requested to return back to Dubai and it was granted. This German lady was unlucky enough to sit close to this family and therefore classified as high risk. She stayed. The big family left. As far as I know, she is the only person who had this issue. There are 13 separate cases that happened in the last two weeks. They are tested positive (separate cases) and I'm not sure if anyone from these 13 people requested to go home or they are still staying in Phuket in ASQ

1 minute ago, BookShe said:

The last time I was reading about this was a week ago so all I can tell you is what was reported back then.

The flight she was on was almost full. She was sitting around a very large family. One person from this family was tested positive and they wanted to put the whole family in quarantine. They requested to return back to Dubai and it was granted. This German lady was unlucky enough to sit close to this family and therefore classified as high risk. She stayed. The big family left. As far as I know, she is the only person who had this issue. There are 13 separate cases that happened in the last two weeks. They are tested positive (separate cases) and I'm not sure if anyone from these 13 people requested to go home or they are still staying in Phuket in ASQ

If they were Thai they'd get free asq

When I arrived on July 3, I completed a form with details about myself and my flight. On the form was a place to self report my seat number. With so many people changing seats after boarding, my assumption is they use that to determine who is near a positive person.

I was flying business class and on Qatar the seats are quite spread out (it was a 787 not with Q suites). I wonder what is considered as a nearby person in that case? 

15 minutes ago, PhayakPeter said:

If they were Thai they'd get free asq

You don't wanna stay in one of those. They were more like army barracks. As far as I know, they also cancelled free asqs for Thais, as it was abused by frequent Thai travellers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BookShe said:

You don't wanna stay in one of those. They were more like army barracks. As far as I know, they also cancelled free asqs for Thais, as it was abused by frequent Thai travellers.

I know that but still can't see the Thais stumping up for asq, more likely they would be allowed to isolate in the hotel they booked 

4 minutes ago, BookShe said:

The rest of the family group were initially put into quarantine, as was the German Lady. The family group were held in quarantine for a few days first and then allowed to leave. This is reported at about 2.20 into the vid. 

All the news reports I've seen are similar. The family were initially detained and then they asked to go home. I've not seen any reports of when they actually left the country. I surmise that this is because it raises the question, "If they really are so high risk, why are they being allowed on a plane".

• Haha 1