Friday Covid Update: 106,951 active cases; provincial totals

Thaiger

The number of active Covid-19 cases has surged past 100,000. Today, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration reported 9,692 new Covid-19 cases, raising the number of infections currently being treated or monitored to 106,951. Another 67 coronavirus-related deaths were reported today. Since the start of the pandemic last year, 382,907 confirmed infections and 3,099 deaths. Bangkok remains the epicentre in the latest wave of infections with 2,195 new cases reported today. Since April 1, the latest and most severe wave of the virus, more than 100,000 Covid-19 cases have been reported in Bangkok. For Bangkok and surrounding provinces, where infection rates […]

The post Friday Covid Update: 106,951 active cases; provincial totals appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I guess Bangkok will always be “The epicentre” due to the size of population. It’s hardly likely it will be Hua Hin or Nong Kai. What also needs to be understood is that many times more testing will be taking place in Bangkok than elsewhere and even that is low.  There are over 1 million tests per day carried out in the U.K, this is why case numbers look so high. This is the same across many developed countries. How many in comparison are done in Thailand?  More testing equals more cases. The 9,600 today at Thai testing rates is likely to be 96,000 at U.K. testing rates. Does anyone know the number of tests performed each day in Thailand?

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Does anyone know the number of tests performed each day in Thailand?

At a guess  9,692 was carried out yesterday. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I guess Bangkok will always be “The epicentre” due to the size of population. It’s hardly likely it will be Hua Hin or Nong Kai. What also needs to be understood is that many times more testing will be taking place in Bangkok than elsewhere and even that is low.  There are over 1 million tests per day carried out in the U.K, this is why case numbers look so high. This is the same across many developed countries. How many in comparison are done in Thailand?  More testing equals more cases. The 9,600 today at Thai testing rates is likely to be 96,000 at U.K. testing rates. Does anyone know the number of tests performed each day in Thailand?

Hospitals mostly doesnt test anymore because they jave not enough bed capacity and places who offer tests people sleeping on the streets to get a que number and sometimes have to wait a few days to get a number because there are only a small amount of tests avaiable. This people who waiting there are mostly people who are at risk because they were in contact with infected people. There were many interviews in the Thai tv with this desperate people who try to get a test in Bangkok and even sleeping in tents for a few days in the streets just to get a test. I think this should answer your questions about testing in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Though to give a serious answer, Soidog, plenty of data here.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand

should answer maybe a few questions you have.

Thanks for this. Finally found the chart I was looking for which illustrates the point about relative testing. This show the U.K. testing compared to Thailand per 100,000. The more you test the more you find.

Thanks again. 

830F3D1F-1CCA-4C6D-A91F-9D1E6952868A.jpeg

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Finally found the chart I was looking for

Glad it had the data you were after. Was unsure if it did as there was a lot of information there to scroll through. I do wonder though if most of those tested are paying customers like the Phuket sandbox entrants?

7 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Glad it had the data you were after. Was unsure if it did as there was a lot of information there to scroll through. I do wonder though if most of those tested are paying customers like the Phuket sandbox entrants?

Yes that’s an excellent point. I’m not sure how many people enter Thailand each day. But as most will need two or three tests following arrival, throat must add a few hundred each day. The scale of difference in testing between the U.K. and Thailand surprised me. I know the U.K. is doing high levels of test, but this surprised me how low Thailand was. Maybe this will increase over the coming weeks????

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

There are many numbers published but with this government I doubt any of them are actual.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes that’s an excellent point. I’m not sure how many people enter Thailand each day. But as most will need two or three tests following arrival, throat must add a few hundred each day. The scale of difference in testing between the U.K. and Thailand surprised me. I know the U.K. is doing high levels of test, but this surprised me how low Thailand was. Maybe this will increase over the coming weeks????

As long people have to pay over 3000 baht I think it will not increase also there long ques to get a test and people have to wait outside on the streets up to 2 days and now is raining season. Not enough tests avaiable that means tests will not rise

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

You can't compare the two, as both are equally flawed.

The UK is testing those who want to be tested, not those who need to be and who are most likely to be at risk of testing positive.

Thailand is testing those who most need to be, and few others.

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

The more you test the more you find.

Not if you're testing those least likely to test positive, and not testing those most likely who don't want to be tested  -  you're just wasting your time and money.

4 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

At a guess  9,692 was carried out yesterday. 

That may not be a "serious" answer, but you may not be that far out.

In Thailand's targeted testing they've generally found 8 - 12% positive who'd been classified low risk, 10 - 15%  medium risk and 18 - 22%  who were high risk.

Recently, frequently as many as 44% in targeted groups have tested positive, and occasionally over 90% have tested positive.

4 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I do wonder though if most of those tested are paying customers like the Phuket sandbox entrants?

Comparatively very few are.   The vast majority of the tests are targeted and free - and mandatory!

It's simply a completely different system to the West's - it's not even apples and oranges, but steak and cheesecake.

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

As long people have to pay over 3000 baht I think it will not increase also there long ques to get a test and people have to wait outside on the streets up to 2 days and now is raining season. Not enough tests avaiable that means tests will not rise

They don't, apart for a small minority who want to be tested but aren't considered at risk or who need the test to travel (fly, go to Phuket, etc).

It's just misinformed as it's not how the system works here.

Bangkok is the point people travel to the most, plain insane to start there to vaccinate.. people that get infected there go back home and spread it.. should vaccinate first other provincies then the source, common sence