The Open (golf)

AussieBob

The Open is currently under way - Live Blog | The 149th Open at Royal St George’s (theopen.com)

The Americans do not like it, but of the 4 golf Majors each year, The Open is the number 1 event.  Of course the other 3  (Masters, US Open, PGA) are all played in USA, where all the money is, but the vast majority of world golfers (and Americans but not say it out allowed) would take a win in The Open, over a win in any other of the other Majors. 

It is always hard to pick the winner of any Open event - things change so dramatically as the event is played over 4 days.    For those that do not know, the Open tends to favour the more accurate and better short game players, versus the USA Majors that tend to favour the big hitters (US style).  This is shown by the fact that the best ever pro golfer, Jack Nicklaus, won 18 Majors but 'only' 3 Opens, and Tiger Woods won 15 Majors but also 'only' 3 Opens.  This is also shown by the fact that in the modern golf game (post 1950s) only 2 players have won the Open 5 times (Tom Watson and Peter Thompson) and both of those players had extremely good short games - Tom Watson only won 3 other Majors, and Peter Thompson won nil other Majors.  It is a unique golf event played the way golf was invented - not the modern US style of long hitters on long but easy golf courses.

Each day bring its own challenges (especially the weather) but at this stage Louis Oosthuizen (previous Open winner) and Jordan Speith (also previous Open winner) are in a very good position after day 1.  But literally, until the afternoon of day 4 anything can and usually does happen.  

Love watching The Open, it is the best of the Majors. Have Louis Oosthuizen and Tommy Fleetwood in my pool, so quite excited.

• Like 1

Not the best of starts from Shane Lowry, with a one over opening round and 7 off the lead after 1 round.

Plenty of catching up for him to do today.

• Like 1

My Pound each way is on Danny Willett............. that responsibility will no doubt lay heavily on his shoulders today.

• Haha 1

Louis and Jordan are still right up there on the leaderboard. Dustin Johnson doing so well surprises me - clearly his brother is tightening the reins and reading the putts well. Colin Morikowa is also looking good. Brooks Koepka and John Rahm starting to get closer too.  Rory yet again disappointing his fans is nothing new - that boy has some serious issues to address - and that would be a whole forum by itself - but at least he made the cut. Don't be surprised if he shoots 64/65 and flies home late to finish top 10 - now that the pressure is off - either that or he will shoot 75/80 and whinge a lot. It  gonna be great watching them all over the next two days whatever happens. 

When selecting my picks for this weekend I discounted Louis because he didn't seem to have much form coming into the Open  -  and I discounted Collin Morikowa because he struggled with links golf (and his putting) at the Scottish Open.

10 hours ago, Chaimai said:

When selecting my picks for this weekend I discounted Louis because he didn't seem to have much form coming into the Open  -  and I discounted Collin Morikowa because he struggled with links golf (and his putting) at the Scottish Open.

May I suggest you dont bet real money on the golf ?  Although the Scottish Open is a bit of a guide - this year the course was not like Royal St George in England. As Nicklaus said, the further south you go the easier the course is - or the less like the hard links courses in Scotland.  At the Scotltish Open an Aussie won and another came 4th - they both did not make the cut at Royal St G.  Detry came 3rd in Scotland and he also missed the cut - and Fitzpatrick also came 4th and he made the cut by 1 shot. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

May I suggest you dont bet real money on the golf ?  Although the Scottish Open is a bit of a guide - this year the course was not like Royal St George in England. As Nicklaus said, the further south you go the easier the course is - or the less like the hard links courses in Scotland.  At the Scotltish Open an Aussie won and another came 4th - they both did not make the cut at Royal St G.  Detry came 3rd in Scotland and he also missed the cut - and Fitzpatrick also came 4th and he made the cut by 1 shot. 

Good comments.............I tried to take the St Georges factor into account and I thought good links players like MacIntyre and Fleetwood might do well. Importantly, I only bet bet what I can afford to lose .....in this case less than 1,000 Baht on 6 bets :) 

Royal St Georges is a good test of golf (Louis' scores almost suggest otherwise) and the first time I went there was on day 4 in 1985. I followed the David Graham and Bernard Langer match but was pleased to see a Brit come out on top.

12 hours ago, Chaimai said:

Good comments.............I tried to take the St Georges factor into account and I thought good links players like MacIntyre and Fleetwood might do well. Importantly, I only bet bet what I can afford to lose .....in this case less than 1,000 Baht on 6 bets :) 

Royal St Georges is a good test of golf (Louis' scores almost suggest otherwise) and the first time I went there was on day 4 in 1985. I followed the David Graham and Bernard Langer match but was pleased to see a Brit come out on top.

You are dead right and today (Saturday) it was tricked up a little and the pins were placed in 'less friendly' locations. The end result? Louis and Morikawa and Speith 'hung on' while MacIntryre shot the round of the day (-5).  Sunday (tonight) is going to be great.  

I am jealous - I have seen a few pro events in Australia and Thailand and USA - but never in UK. I have entered the ballot for the Open at St Andrews in 2021 but I will probably not take up the offer if successful - but maybe I will - $700 just for tickets to Sat/Sun is a bit steep when the place will be packed and moving about will be extremely hard - and it will be effin cold.