Cremation services at Pathum Thani temple struggle to keep up with rising death toll

Thaiger

Thailand’s Covid cases continue to fall just short of 10,000 a day and deaths remain in the double digits but edging closer and closer to triple digits. This escalating situation is straining the morgues and cremation facilities. One monk, 39 year old Pongpetch Santijittho, who works in a temple in central Thailand’s Pathum Thani spoke on the struggles of maintaining cremation services. Pongpetch, decked out in a white protective suit disinfects a pair of rubber boots as part of his daily routine. Something he must do before he starts works. His temple previously cremated 2 or 3 people a month. […]

The post Cremation services at Pathum Thani temple struggle to keep up with rising death toll appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

8 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Sounds like Pong has urned a good rest .. hope the Wat re-ember that .. 

This is no time to be punny!

• Haha 2
  • Cool 1

I want to thank the monk Pongpetch for his kind work and the empathy he is showing to the families of the deceased, who have died of Covid. I am a Funeral Director and have had to cope with this same situation in my country. I know, having facilitated many Funerals of Thai expats here over the years, that the Funeral Ceremonies are normally very beautiful tributes to the loved one, with many prayers and merit making to help the soul to go to the afterlife. Now, with ever increasing numbers of fatalities from Covid, it simply isn't possible to do what is normally done. I know Pongpetch is empathetic to these families, as I am. It is hard for us too and weighs heavily on us during this pandemic. Pongpetch, you good works are making merit for the afterlife.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that the insensitive comments have stopped. People are dying in increasing numbers from the outbreaks in Thailand. The deaths are following. Surely Thailand will see what has happened in India from the same strain of the virus. I have always know the Thai people who show respect to those who have died. So let there be places where their remains can be cremated with dignity and respect.....