European Union slaps travel restrictions on arrivals from Thailand

Thaiger

Member states of the European Union have agreed to remove Thailand from the list of countries from which travellers can arrive freely during the pandemic. The EU operates a “green list” of countries, which are currently only around 20 in number. Visitors from these countries, which include the US, New Zealand, Canada, and Japan, can enter the EU without mandatory quarantine. Yesterday, EU members agreed to add Ukraine to the green list, while removing Thailand and Rwanda. The Bangkok Post reports that countries may be added to the green list if they report fewer than 75 Covid-19 infections per 100,000 […]

The post European Union slaps travel restrictions on arrivals from Thailand appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It was only a matter of time. Actually banning flights to and from Thailand in view of the worsening situation here may only be a small step away in view of the crisis which appears to be happening here.

The EU does not have to ban Thais arriving. All the EU has to do is impose the same conditions on visitors as the Thais do to EU citizens visiting Thailand.

See how many Thais will accept that . . .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

The EU does not have to ban Thais arriving. All the EU has to do is impose the same conditions on visitors as the Thais do to EU citizens visiting Thailand.

See how many Thais will accept that . . .

The EU will never impose the same conditions on Thais as the Thai government does on Europeans as it is not in Europeans nature to scam tourists

3 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

The EU does not have to ban Thais arriving.

It’s not just banning Thais it quarantining people flying out of Thailand. Well Sandbox returnees now will have an extended holiday. Well the DDC list comes out today but who believes that as UK is on the High Risk countries but they are still allowed into the Phuket sandbox. Phuket must be a country of its own in their eyes.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mic said:

WORLD

European Union slaps travel restrictions on arrivals from Thailand......

what kind of restrictions ??

None, that's up to the member states. And for EU citizens it will also mean almost nothing, because most are fully vaccinated.

2 hours ago, gummy said:

The EU will never impose the same conditions on Thais as the Thai government does on Europeans as it is not in Europeans nature to scam tourists

It's evident you are either not European or have never been in Europe before. Tourist scam is as common as here. Even if conditions to enter Europe vary across countries - now there is this Green Pass going on -, quarantine is required also there in most cases, both for intra- and extra-EU movements, although with different modes (usually not in ASQ but at home).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

It’s not just banning Thais it quarantining people flying out of Thailand. Well Sandbox returnees now will have an extended holiday. Well the DDC list comes out today but who believes that as UK is on the High Risk countries but they are still allowed into the Phuket sandbox. Phuket must be a country of its own in their eyes.

Yep. You come here, you have problem go home. Simple as that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dimitri said:

None, that's up to the member states. And for EU citizens it will also mean almost nothing, because most are fully vaccinated.

Wildly incorrect.

Apart from Malta (and Iceland, although it's not actually part of the EU), no EU countries have vaccinated even half of their population yet.

Under half (in many cases a long way under half) is not "most".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, uanmak said:

It's evident you are either not European or have never been in Europe before. Tourist scam is as common as here. Even if conditions to enter Europe vary across countries - now there is this Green Pass going on -, quarantine is required also there in most cases, both for intra- and extra-EU movements, although with different modes (usually not in ASQ but at home).

Ouch.

Very true, and very easy to verify (look at Venice for some seriously outrageous examples) but that won't make it any more popular here.

I returned end of june to germany after 9 weeks in Thailand. PCR-Test before flight demanded by air travel, no quarantine. Thailand is not regarded as high-risc country. The numbers of new infections in whole thailand is as high or low as in germany in one big city. There is no parameter like 7-days-incidence in Thailand.  44% of the population are vaccinated 2 times; I got appointement for my vaccination as soon as I arrived. Sinovac is not approved in germany. So far the facts today.

47 minutes ago, uanmak said:

Well I guess being 73 old and British is beyond your comprehension. 

In reality this removal means nothing.

Essential travellers 

Where travel restrictions continue to apply, the following categories of persons should be exempt:

• EU citizens and their family members
  • long-term EU residents and their family members

Travel should also be allowed for travellers with an essential function or need, including:

• healthcare and elderly-care professionals, health researchers
  • frontier workers, seasonal workers in agriculture, transport personnel and seafarers
  • highly qualified workers if their employment is necessary and the work cannot be postponed or performed abroad
  • diplomats, staff of international organisations, military personnel and humanitarian aid workers
  • passengers in transit
  • passengers travelling for imperative family reasons
  • persons in need of international protection or travelling for other humanitarian reasons
  • persons travelling for the purpose of study

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/policies/coronavirus/covid-19-travel-into-the-eu/

So still travellers from EU can travel. It’s also up to each EU country. Thai seasonal workers can still travel. 
Lots of loopholes, and really would mainly affect those that have the money to holiday in Europe on a Thai passport.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Thai seasonal workers can still travel. 

Not "can" - they may still be able to travel, but I think it's very unlikely that countries are going to allow it.

Sweden and Finland, for example, normally have over 5,000 berry pickers from Thailand every year but I can't see them allowing in 5,000 unvaccinated Thais to pick berries this year - or the berry pickers being too happy to pay for ASQ in a Bangkok hotel on return, which they got free last year.

58 minutes ago, Uli said:

I returned end of june to germany after 9 weeks in Thailand. PCR-Test before flight demanded by air travel, no quarantine. Thailand is not regarded as high-risc country. The numbers of new infections in whole thailand is as high or low as in germany in one big city. There is no parameter like 7-days-incidence in Thailand.  44% of the population are vaccinated 2 times; I got appointement for my vaccination as soon as I arrived. Sinovac is not approved in germany. So far the facts today.

Uli?  Of Phuket  with the horse Siam?  

With such a high number of infections, it's about time counties start protecting their citizens from being fooled by any of those "sandboxes" 

1 hour ago, gummy said:

Well I guess being 73 old and British is beyond your comprehension. 

No, but it justifies your PoV.