Meeting reveals Thai vs foreigners in Phuket Sandbox, other stats

Thaiger

Statistics and data regarding the Phuket Sandbox can be cloudy and conflicting, but at yesterday’s meeting of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee, some rarely shared figures were discussed. One often questioned detail is how many people in the numbers reported for international traveller arrivals are truly tourists and how many are even foreigners at all. During the meeting, it was mentioned that 5,156 people had flown in internationally as part of the Phuket Sandbox reopening as of yesterday. While there isn’t any survey of arrivals to determine if they are returning expats or holiday-making tourists, they did cite the statistic […]

The post Meeting reveals Thai vs foreigners in Phuket Sandbox, other stats appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Lol like that is a surprise, they keep on telling lies and the true comes out anyway after, they never learn, always try to keep their pride up while there isn't any

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Statistics and data regarding the Phuket Sandbox can be cloudy and conflicting, but at yesterday’s meeting of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee, some rarely shared figures were discussed. One often questioned detail is how many people in the numbers reported for international traveller arrivals are truly tourists and how many are even foreigners at all. During the meeting, it was mentioned that 5,156 people had flown in internationally as part of the Phuket Sandbox reopening as of yesterday. While there isn’t any survey of arrivals to determine if they are returning expats or holiday-making tourists, they did cite the statistic […]

The post Meeting reveals Thai vs foreigners in Phuket Sandbox, other stats appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

But that not answers how many are tourists because many foreigners/expats have a family here, work for a company or have a company, have property or live in Thailand so they are returnees, too.

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

But that not answers how many are tourists because many foreigners/expats have a family here, work for a company or have a company, have property or live in Thailand so they are returnees, too.

I also believe that the majority are returnees of some type or another, but even among the Thais there can be tourists.  Many of our friends in the US are Thai/Western families who only visit for a few weeks a year (pre-covid).

After visiting family they would travel to areas of the country they hadn't seen or wanted to experience again.

Edited by KhunG
added info

Not a lot of data, I guess the TAT doesn't feel it's necessary to obtain in the arrival process (and yes it's very easy to do). Even so there is no way to sugar coat what little data there is to date. There are 5,156 arrivals after 15 days, that's an average of 342 per day. A far cry from the 1,500 per day projection or even the 1,100 per day minimum that was expected. Keep in mind at day 10 there were 4,000, so the average is actually dropping. Not a good sign. Also the fact that at least 17% of those are not even tourists, but returning Thais. No doubt some level of the balance are also returning expats and not actual tourists. It's hard to see this average doing any better before October, if anything it will get worse. As more and more Thai locations like Kho Samui (hahaha had to laugh at that one),  Hua Hin or even BKK reopen they are more likely to take from Phuket's numbers.  The idea the Phuket scheme was nothing more a test case to see if tourists can be brought in and not infect the locals is spin. It was always a given it could be done, and it's being done in many countries already. This was plain and simple a restart of the Phuket tourist industry and in that regard it's been a complete failure. The number just are not there to pretend otherwise. 

• Like 3

It must be very disconcerting to Thais that the world wide web have people that state Thai reports are defective, or (deleted) lies.

Can these Thais not appeal to the government claiming fake news? Apparently not because this is not fake news.

And how are they going to arrest a poster who is in Australia?

3 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Not a lot of data, I guess the TAT doesn't feel it's necessary to obtain in the arrival process (and yes it's very easy to do). Even so there is no way to sugar coat what little data there is to date. There are 5,156 arrivals after 15 days, that's an average of 342 per day. A far cry from the 1,500 per day projection or even the 1,100 per day minimum that was expected. Keep in mind at day 10 there were 4,000, so the average is actually dropping. Not a good sign. Also the fact that at least 17% of those are not even tourists, but returning Thais. No doubt some level of the balance are also returning expats and not actual tourists. It's hard to see this average doing any better before October, if anything it will get worse. As more and more Thai locations like Kho Samui (hahaha had to laugh at that one),  Hua Hin or even BKK reopen they are more likely to take from Phuket's numbers.  The idea the Phuket scheme was nothing more a test case to see if tourists can be brought in and not infect the locals is spin. It was always a given it could be done, and it's being done in many countries already. This was plain and simple a restart of the Phuket tourist industry and in that regard it's been a complete failure. The number just are not there to pretend otherwise. 

I agree! Furthermore, genuine tourists are not going to jump through all these hoops, and then run the risk of being told  that even though they have tested negative,  they were in close proximity to someone who proved positive  on the inbound flight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

I agree! Furthermore, genuine tourists are not going to jump through all these hoops, and then run the risk of being told  that even though they have tested negative,  they were in close proximity to someone who proved positive  on the inbound flight.

Come and enjoy yourself trying to avoid an invisible virus for 14 days..Who will survive Sandbox Island?!

*prices may vary*

2 hours ago, Colin said:

Landing cards, are they still a thing ?  I seem to remember that 'purpose of visit' is a question to be answered, so the data should be there if these are being completed (with the caveat, I suppose, that people fill them in honestly).

yes, the TM6 form with the purpose of visit was still there last week when I arrived.

I would be interested to see statistics for ASQ May-June and then July, I imagine some of the "tourists" have switched from possible ASQ to Sandbox, therefore the economy is losing money.