Pattaya still eyes September reopening despite Covid-19 surge

Thaiger

The Pattaya Move On programme to reopen one of Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations to international travellers is facing an uphill battle as the Chon Buri province faces unrelenting growth in Covid-19 infections. Despite continued infections, the Chon Buri Tourism Council plans to push forward the reopening plan set to begin in September. The province has recorded over 13,500 Covid-19 infections with over 5,000 active cases and 523 new infections reported today and is one of the major areas of concern in the country cited by Minister of Tourism and Sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan as places that should not be focusing on […]

The post Pattaya still eyes September reopening despite Covid-19 surge appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Of course they do. Let's do things that doesn't make any sense. This behavior was working here for decades, so we just have to repeat the formula. Is there a "who is dumber" competition in Thailand that I'm not aware of?

Did they state which year this was going to happen, looking at the massive amount of vaccinations the other day (1621) I can't see it being 2021 !!

I think the mayor needs to lay off whatever it is he has been smoking for a month or so before he starts with statements about opening, he also needs to remind himself to factor in the new bar girl arrivals for the % figures.

Mayor of Patts is desperate to get tourists to return and TaT are wee'ing on the fire .. sounds like discord in the ranks .. 

It’s all about buying time. When I was a kid, I use to pester my mum and dad for sweets. They would use lines like “later when we get home”. Or “we will get some after we’ve been to the shops”. This kept me quiet as I thought the good times were part of the plan and I would soon have my sweets. This is exactly what the Thai government is doing with the population. Keep spreading hope. I guess the alternative is to tell the bitter truth and that would be so depressing that it would help no one. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s all about buying time. When I was a kid, I use to pester my mum and dad for sweets. They would use lines like “later when we get home”. Or “we will get some after we’ve been to the shops”. This kept me quiet as I thought the good times were part of the plan and I would soon have my sweets. This is exactly what the Thai government is doing with the population. Keep spreading hope. I guess the alternative is to tell the bitter truth and that would be so depressing that it would help no one. 

Correct. They know the shit has long dried on the blades of the proverbial fan and it's now just a matter of trying to stall the blowback. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

You are right. However hinting a reopening so shop owners can prepare for the non-existing tourist, is kinda cruel. They will lose even more getting all inventories for "tourist" I'm sure you got your treats after all, not so sure about the Thai people. :( There are times imho when telling the truth is vital no matter how harsh it is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BookShe said:

You are right. However hinting a reopening so shop owners can prepare for the non-existing tourist, is kinda cruel. They will lose even more getting all inventories for "tourist" I'm sure you got your treats after all, not so sure about the Thai people. :( There are times imho when telling the truth is vital no matter how harsh it is.

Tough love is not easy for Thais to handle so the "jam tomorrow" approach becomes more palatable.

In fairness, everyone needs hope - but that hope needs to be realistic. 

Long-stayers will find their way back via the Phuket Sandbox (or others) but genuine tourists are probably 4/5 months away at best.

Not until arrivals no longer need to quarantine, and bars/restaurants etc are allowed to open and freely sell alcohol etc will it be worth a long haul trip. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Tough love is not easy for Thais to handle so the "jam tomorrow" approach becomes more palatable.

Long-stayers will find their way back via the Phuket Sandbox (or others) but genuine tourists are probably 4/5 months away at best.

Not until arrivals no longer need to quarantine, and bars/restaurants etc are allowed to open and freely sell alcohol etc will it be worth a long haul trip. 

Yes. Agree. So it's either you or me who should call these morons to tell them about their reopening plan in September? 

Reopening.... FOR WHAT what they expect loads of people, what a joke

Only thing what can and will happen it will be worse

Edited by Paco

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Reopening.... FOR WHAT what they expect loads of people, what a joke

Only thing what can and will happen it will be worse

It has to reopen at some point.......................look at the rest of the world.

31 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

It has to reopen at some point.......................look at the rest of the world.

Look at the rest of the world? they vaccinated.. second we have to do what others do? Seriously? Reopening when things are more worse every day... the rest if the world has it more or less in control.. here not, they not even have vaccines, if someone jumps in the water  you probably jump with them

Edited by Paco

28 minutes ago, Paco said:

Look at the rest of the world? they vaccinated.. second we have to do what others do? Seriously? Reopening when things are more worse every day... the rest if the world has it more or less in control.. here not, they not even have vaccines, if someone jumps in the water  you probably jump with them

They had it under control here - and even now the numbers are mainly localised clusters. Infections only became more widely spread due to people traveling at Songkran (when they were advised not to) and returning construction industry workers etc from Bangkok.  But you are absolutely right, the reason that it works elsewhere is vaccines and that has been the major screw-up here.

Thailand has a 0.81% Covid mortality rate. That means that 99.19% of people contracting CV19 survive it; it isn't the plague and vaccination may not prevent you getting it. However, vaccination is likely to take that mortality rate close to zero. Between now and then the country can be opened up. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaimai said:

Agreed with what you say here. I sincerely hope it is 4/5 months away. My thinking is that there will be ever more local openings and hence hard to say when it really opened fully. I guess the dropping of the quarantine or multiple Covid tests could be the time to say that. If that’s the definition then I think it’s at leat 6 months away and possibly 9 months. It really depends how well they can keep case numbers under control. If Thailand gets like Indonesia or India then it will be more like 9 months I fear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

None of the farangs I know there have been vaccinated - literally none.

CM is probably not so different. 

western countries have better welfare, pay for room, health insurance and much more and give 15.000 baht for living each month to unemployed people, this is for Germany, but other European countries may have nearly the same too

Thailand has to open the country at any risk for tourist without quarantine but vaccinated and PCR test before arrive only, at least in November or December because of high season and winter time in Europe, this is the only strategy to give ordinary people work to survive, selling street food, working in bars and so on

without vaccine people will die, even at closed borders, and Thailand cannot close all the long borders where infected people crossing, they are the real danger, not tourists

Edited by satpete
  • Like 1

Thailand welcomes tourists into burning building......Come on in..everything is fine..dont forget your money

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Pattaya Move On programme to reopen one of Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations to international travellers is facing an uphill battle as the Chon Buri province faces unrelenting growth in Covid-19 infections. Despite continued infections, the Chon Buri Tourism Council plans to push forward the reopening plan set to begin in September. The province has recorded over 13,500 Covid-19 infections with over 5,000 active cases and 523 new infections reported today and is one of the major areas of concern in the country cited by Minister of Tourism and Sports Pipat Ratchakitprakan as places that should not be focusing on […]

The post Pattaya still eyes September reopening despite Covid-19 surge appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"5,000 active cases"? That's not high, and of course it pales compared to BKK. People have to understand, the entire lifestyle in BKK contributes to the virus spread (mass public transport, shopping malls everywhere as gathering places). In Chonburi and Pattaya all of a sudden people are glad there's no mass public transport.

13 hours ago, Chaimai said:

the reason that it works elsewhere is vaccines

The problem is it's not working elsewhere. Cases around the world are up. The US is more than doubling every two weeks, deaths are now starting to follow. France, the same. Spain is much worse. All of the decisions being made are based on information dating to the beginning of the pandemic, the new information is different but that hasn't shown in either the policies - herd immunity is now up around 90%, not 70% - nor the messaging.

The goal - mostly unspoken - since the beginning was not to save lives, but to "flatten the curve", spread those deaths out so as not to overwhelm the healthcare systems. This would allow people who would not otherwise die - from heart attack, cancer, whatever - to not do so. None of the vaccines are 100%. Statistically you'll still eventually get COVID, but the vaccine has bent the odds in your favor. You've traded a 20% chance of getting seriously ill or dying for a 10% chance. I'll take those odds.

1. "if existing viruses" go around fast, most people in the world, have viruses already.
so, we have a herd immunity in the world, after 1.5 year for sure.

1.2 viruses are not killer viruses, otherwise, most infected people, would not recover.

2. and "if" a virus-form is new, and could, take time to give herd immunity,
then self-thinking people will say, same goes for making vaccines. :)

3. again. most people, never really, trusted government and news with experts,
not think anymore, those viruses are dangerous,

3.2 "if" somebody wants to help,

give education, starts with take self-responsibility ( article 1, civil rights, ohc hr ),
in a healthy body, without panic views.