Phuket finds 3 more infected visitors, total now stands at 10

Thaiger

Yesterday, 3 more visitors to Phuket were found to be Covid positive. The discovery brings Phuket’s total infected visitors to 10, says the daily Covid report that comes from the Phuket Provincial Public Health Office. The daily report also signified 8 new local infections. This brings the total number of people infected from April until now to 797. However, the visitors entering the Phuket Sandbox that test positive when they get to Phuket are not part of the total number of infections for the island. The 797 figure also omits the 6 people who tested positive for Covid outside of […]

The post Phuket finds 3 more infected visitors, total now stands at 10 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Still interesting how vaccinated and already tested travelers show 3 infected and not really vaccinated or vaccinated with 1 Sinovac shot locals show only 8 in a day?  Even if you stop testing locals completely...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Still interesting how vaccinated and already tested travelers show 3 infected and not really vaccinated or vaccinated with 1 Sinovac shot locals show only 8 in a day?  Even if you stop testing locals completely...

Regarding your question, I am not sure whether you doubt the integrity or the competence of these figures, but I would think that if it is the former, the healthcare professionals would know better, and there would be whistle-blower in there somewhere.

I am wondering if any of the 8 locals infected may have come into contact with the Burmese who initially passed their PCR test, but 7 days later, were found to be infected? Of course, they might just as easily caught it from the locals.

For those who have read my posts on this to date, I have a recurring theme about the lack of transparency in these reports, and here we go again.

Has anyone noticed that apart from the first case regarding the Emirates flight, there have been no further reports of close contacts being interned? So if they have not done so, you have to conclude that the Swiss case included an unaccompanied minor, and the three Burmese, including two juveniles were wandering around for seven days without making any close contacts including on their inbound flight.

I suspect the Thais saw the reaction to the Emirates internment as bad PR. My take on this, is you had a family group of 13 who were all in close contact for several hours, and an infection is detected. It would have been irresponsible for the Thais not to introduce surveillance of this group, though I think it would have been better to mandate 7 days and then retest.  We heard this group then asked to leave the country. What we were not told by those in power, was this request was granted. So let me see if I understand this? One infection was deemed serious enough to intern 15 people plus 7 locals for 14 days, but not deemed bad enough to stop 13 of them boarding a flight well before the surveillance period had ended? Hmmm?

But as I read about each new case, I notice that there is no further talk of internment of close contacts. That might lead some to believe that this has been stopped. Or more likely, Phuket is acting like some totalitarian state by temporarily "disappearing" tourists who might become an embarrassment to them. After all, I understand that when the original announcement was made many cancellations followed. If it is the latter, it is only a matter of time before that becomes the new media story of this event.

I accept that there are obligations of medical confidentiality, but I think that each case should as a bare minimum, give the nationality of the patient, point of origin, mode of transport including flight no if by plane, whether vaxxed and with which vax, number of others in the travellers party, and number of others deemed close contacts who have since been detained.

I still have my flight booked to arrive three weeks today. When the Emirates case became news, I was 95% certain to cancel. I am now back at 90% because I believe that the Thais are deliberately withholding info from me that they consider might be prejudicial to my arrival. The one thing that is certain to lead me to cancel, will be if I hear the news reports of secret internments. 

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

For those who have read my posts on this to date, I have a recurring theme about the lack of transparency in these reports, and here we go again.

Has anyone noticed that apart from the first case regarding the Emirates flight, there have been no further reports of close contacts being interned? So if they have not done so, you have to conclude that the Swiss case included an unaccompanied minor, and the three Burmese, including two juveniles were wandering around for seven days without making any close contacts including on their inbound flight.

I suspect the Thais saw the reaction to the Emirates internment as bad PR. My take on this, is you had a family group of 13 who were all in close contact for several hours, and an infection is detected. It would have been irresponsible for the Thais not to introduce surveillance of this group, though I think it would have been better to mandate 7 days and then retest.  We heard this group then asked to leave the country. What we were not told by those in power, was this request was granted. So let me see if I understand this? One infection was deemed serious enough to intern 15 people plus 7 locals for 14 days, but not deemed bad enough to stop 13 of them boarding a flight well before the surveillance period had ended? Hmmm?

But as I read about each new case, I notice that there is no further talk of internment of close contacts. That might lead some to believe that this has been stopped. Or more likely, Phuket is acting like some totalitarian state by temporarily "disappearing" tourists who might become an embarrassment to them. After all, I understand that when the original announcement was made many cancellations followed. If it is the latter, it is only a matter of time before that becomes the new media story of this event.

I accept that there are obligations of medical confidentiality, but I think that each case should as a bare minimum, give the nationality of the patient, point of origin, mode of transport including flight no if by plane, whether vaxxed and with which vax, number of others in the travellers party, and number of others deemed close contacts who have since been detained.

I still have my flight booked to arrive three weeks today. When the Emirates case became news, I was 95% certain to cancel. I am now back at 90% because I believe that the Thais are deliberately withholding info from me that they consider might be prejudicial to my arrival. The one thing that is certain to lead me to cancel, will be if I hear the news reports of secret internments. 

You'll not hear any such thing, that would be considered damaging fake news

Remember to always trust your gut. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I'm riding the fence, too. My wife and I are scheduled to fly in October, but frankly we're going to cancel if there is either a loud and clear statement that we would be forced into ASQ if we're seated near someone who tests positive, or if there continues to be very suspicious reporting on the sandbox results. It's not a matter of wanting to cancel, it's a matter of having to, if that's the case.

• Like 1

Are these three new arrivals? Did they test positive on day 1, 6 or 13? It’s kinda hard to figure out the ramifications without all the data. Also where are they from and what vaccine did they get? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Are these three new arrivals? Did they test positive on day 1, 6 or 13? It’s kinda hard to figure out the ramifications without all the data. Also where are they from and what vaccine did they get? 

I am guessing they are new arrivals. If they've all come off the same flight, that should make the news regarding the number of potential internments.

On 7/15/2021 at 6:32 PM, ThaiFoodGuy said:

I'm riding the fence, too. My wife and I are scheduled to fly in October, but frankly we're going to cancel if there is either a loud and clear statement that we would be forced into ASQ if we're seated near someone who tests positive, or if there continues to be very suspicious reporting on the sandbox results. It's not a matter of wanting to cancel, it's a matter of having to, if that's the case.

I am also looking to return then and am looking at just going to ASQ in Bangers for 2 weeks then travel down to Phuket instead of risking a positive on day 13 and then have to do another two weeks in ASQ in phuket at very inflated prices 

• Like 1