Birthdays

billyburi

It's the wife birthday today, 15th together. Does anyone still push the boat?, or just another day. 

My elderly Mum(86), still sends a card out every year from UK.  That's to Mrs BB. 

One of my disappointments with the culture is the lack of emphasis on birthdays.

You have only one day a year that  is yours..the day you came into the world, but Thais don't make a big deal.

I tried to for a few years with my family, but finally gave up in frustration.  They didn't care.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrStretch said:

One of my disappointments with the culture is the lack of emphasis on birthdays.

You have only one day a year that  is yours..the day you came into the world, but Thais don't make a big deal.

I tried to for a few years with my family, but finally gave up in frustration.  They didn't care.

I was equally surprised - just another example of the culture that we have become part of.

Pattaya (or at least the bar areas) is different..............an excuse to stick up balloons and have punters/friends staple notes of the realm on you.

6 hours ago, MrStretch said:

The ones that are important are the 12s. Each time the zodiac refreshes the birthday is feted. My SO and I take each other out to dinner on our B-days. But that's it. Besides, once you reach a certain point it becomes: "Oh, isn't it wonderful! You've made it to XX!" Where XX is a very large number.  In reality, life has become something more like slicing a ham blindfolded. You never quite know when you've reached the last piece.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Half of my in laws don't even know when their birthday is. 12 years ago I asked my wife how old my mother in law is, the answer, 86. If I go ask her now, the answer is the same, 86.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, MrStretch said:

I think it is the complete opposite.........all they do is talk about their b-days

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 7/17/2021 at 3:17 AM, MrStretch said:

I can tell your future as a Jehovah's Witness won't be very bright. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/2/2021 at 11:22 PM, LedLollyYellowLolly said:

Half of my in laws don't even know when their birthday is. 12 years ago I asked my wife how old my mother in law is, the answer, 86. If I go ask her now, the answer is the same, 86.

Same as my in laws - their birthdates on their ID cards are all 1st January as they have no idea on which actual day they were born!!!