Officials argue most leaving Sandbox aren’t unhappy

Thaiger

On 7/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, Cornelius said:

In the interests of honesty I have to admit that I'm not here as a 'tourist' - we're here for 3 months as the start of my semi-retirement plan. But I would happily come for say 3 weeks because the COE system, while clunky, is not that bad once you've found an insurance plan that clearly satisfies the health and Covid cover requirements. And living in the UK, it's murder to go on holiday anywhere in Europe because the rules change so frequently and you still have to swab test before and after travel. True, you have to pre-pay for 3 tests in Phuket (and upload proof of payment) but the hotel organises that and the costs are more than covered by the super-cheap deals on offer. The question is whether other would-be tourists are put off, and I guess time will tell.

How cheap are the deals?

20 hours ago, Chaimai said:

I agree 100%. The Sandbox is a stepping stone - and an experiment at seeing what better options (to 15 day quarantine) are possible.

I agree it’s better than 15 day/14 night quarantine in a hotel room. But that’s not the point of this experiment. It’s supposed to be a way to attract 100,000 tourists spending lots of money between July and end of September. That’s how this needs to be judged as a success or not.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I agree it’s better than 15 day/14 night quarantine in a hotel room.

I'm not so sure. For what a Sandbox experience entails and costs I could go through ASQ twice in a much nicer room. Hopefully we'll get some sandboxers on the forum to weigh in at some point.

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

I agree it’s better than 15 day/14 night quarantine in a hotel room. But that’s not the point of this experiment. It’s supposed to be a way to attract 100,000 tourists spending lots of money between July and end of September. That’s how this needs to be judged as a success or not.   

I would disagree slightly about the objective. The world is barely ready for mass tourism, and Thailand certainly isn't. IMO it is an experiment to see if this can work on a larger scale.

I am only guessing but I doubt many of the two week millionaires will return until virtually all restrictions have been removed. The Sandbox has been a way to let in long-term stayers without the need for quarantine.

13 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

I would disagree slightly about the objective. The world is barely ready for mass tourism, and Thailand certainly isn't. IMO it is an experiment to see if this can work on a larger scale.

I am only guessing but I doubt many of the two week millionaires will return until virtually all restrictions have been removed. The Sandbox has been a way to let in long-term stayers without the need for quarantine.

I agree it’s been a way to let in long term stayers. So why do they refer to them as tourists? I don’t think the Thai authorities have designed a method of letting long term stayers in. I think they actually thought Thailand is such an amazing unique best place in the whole world, that people would actually put themselves tjorugh all this to have two weeks holiday. I actually think they are that blind and arrogant about what their holiday product is. Even when it fails they will blame other people. 

3 hours ago, bushav8r said:

Stephanie wasn't all sunshine and magic rainbows.

First read I saw "mushrooms". Damn flashbacks.