New "lockdown"... Condo swimming pool closed.

dimitri

Hi,

Our condo management decided to close the swimming pool. I think there are no regulations about that now. Did the lockdown imply a closure of swimming pools?

I am planning to go to talk with that "management". But I want to be sure that this is really THEIR decision, and not something that came from "above".

Is there someone who knows more about this?

• Like 1

I would think a Condo in a set of Condo's with a cummunial pool can be classed as a place others visit so is within the covid rules of a gathering and Social distancing apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

I would think a Condo in a set of Condo's with a cummunial pool can be classed as a place others visit so is within the covid rules of a gathering and Social distancing apply.

Social distancing means to keep a 1.5 meter distance?   But closure ?

• Like 1

The logic is people gather around pools and by necessity it's a blanket rule. Your condo might be little used and you could swim without issue but a  crowded Thai mostly condo the pool could easily be packed. Most condo committees / management won't be pushing the issue to open so I'm afraid the answer will be you have to suck it up I'm afraid. At my condo in Jomtien back in March someone grassed the condo up to the police and that was that. 

• Like 1

yes i've just watched Tim's report today where he spoke to a team member on Thaiger news where she is in BKK. They have more or less told everyone to stay in there house or room for 14 day's so i take it visiting a pool is out im afraid its a Government order so not the Condo's management

Edited by vlad
  • Like 1

Back when I was staying in places without my own pool, I found that I was able to use the communal pools even when they were closed.

For example, if there was a 10 PM closing time but I felt like swimming at midnight, I would go ahead and do that, knowing I would not disturb anyone else. Occasionally a security guard would wander by but I would just give them a friendly greeting and keep swimming.

Many rules in Thailand, especially at the level of residents committees, seem to be made just for the sake of making rules. Within reason, you should simply ignore them. If anyone of consequence does take issue, just stay friendly and thank them for letting you know ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SickBuffalo said:

Back when I was staying in places without my own pool, I found that I was able to use the communal pools even when they were closed.

In the condo where I stayed before it was similar. Officially closed at 8PM. But if you went there in the night and kept silent nobody said anything. Of course they would, if you made a lot of sound and disturbed people. But if you kept silent there was no problem.

I'm a little sick of people who think they can decide for me what's right for me. I'm mature enough to do that myself.

Our pool is large, there are rarely more than 1 or 2 people at the same time. Always foreigners, it seems like Thai don't come. You can easily stay 5 meters away from each other. For me there is absolutely no reason for this closure. Except for the ignorance and stupidity of the condo management, who are so eager to show that they do more than sit on their lazy asses.

So that's why I was wondering if there's a legal basis for this.

Swimming pools were explicitly mentioned during the previous lockdown. I didn't see that this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 9S_ said:

I’m surprised they didn’t close it sooner. My muban closed the pool and Gym  back in April. And they taped off the park. 

In BKK there was an order from the city government that pools were allowed to open. Gyms not, but pools yes.

With the previous lockdown pools at condos were explicitly mentioned. Now not.

Even public parks are allowed to open till 8PM during this lockdown. Closing the condo park would be as ridiculous as closiing the swimming pool.

6 hours ago, vlad said:

They have more or less told everyone to stay in there house or room for 14 day's so i take it visiting a pool is out im afraid its a Government order so not the Condo's management

Public parks are also opened, till 8 PM...  Even parks managed by the government. 

Has there ever been any incident of someone in your complex getting CV-19? You should approach the condo managers and tell them to put up a notice that no more than 3 people allowed in the pool at one  given time, each persons swim time limited to 30 minutes of exercise unless people are signed up and in que, limit 3 chairs spaced at distance for que, and no one is allowed to plainly sit lounging. Try to compromise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

no more than 3 people allowed in the pool at one  given time, each persons swim time limited to 30 minutes of exercise unless people are signed up and in que, limit 3 chairs spaced at distance for que, and no one is allowed to plainly sit lounging. Try to compromise.

These rules were already in place. Although the max is 4 people.

I see a big difference between now and half+ year ago.   In the past someone would supervise. Security would walk there every couple of hours. In the last weeks when the pool was opened I saw nothing of that.  Same with entering the building. There used to be security taking your temperature. Nothing of that anymore. There is a thing to take your temperature yourself, something that is ignored by most people.

I left Bangkok in Sept last year, came back in April this year. And the attitude completely changed. It's much more relaxed and careless, although the situation is worse a lot now.

What disturbs me a lot about the swimming pool...  It is something we pay for. A swimming pool is even a deciding factor for me when choosing a condo. As far as I know there is no new rule/law from above that swimming pools must be closed. But somebody (he even looks like a school boy) thinks he can decide what is best for us, and close it. For no reason I think.

Edited by dimitri

6 minutes ago, dimitri said:

But somebody (he even looks like a school boy) thinks he can decide what is best for us, and close it. For no reason I think.

So it is one person deciding the rules for everyone? I am sure they have chlorine and cctv to make sure everything is ok. sounds  like this little ***** needs a reality check, but that might take a signed petition from all the condo folk.. Who put this guy in charge?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

sounds  like this little ***** needs a reality check, but that might take a signed petition from all the condo folk.. Who put this guy in charge?

Where I come from this would be much more easy. Quickly organize a meeting of owners and replace the management. A registered letter threatening with a lawsuit and a claim of damages would probably solve the problem as well.

But in Thailand I really don't know. 

4 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Where I come from this would be much more easy. Quickly organize a meeting of owners and replace the management. A registered letter threatening with a lawsuit and a claim of damages would probably solve the problem as well.

But in Thailand I really don't know. 

Depending on how many want to use the pool in your place, it might be a hard one to do. If mostly Thai I don't think will happen as most of them probably can't swim and surely don't want to rock the pool float in this case. If many foreigners, then what do you have to lose? What are they going to do, kick you out of your own condo? In situations like this, I voice my opinion if it won't get me in trouble. 

Edited by HolyCowCm
  • Like 1

Our condo pool has been closed since April 1st, the same applying to the gym. There have been active covid cases in the building during the last month, including the entire security team last week. I'm not sure whether covid is transmissible in water or not but given the active cases in and around our condo locking common zones like the pool, gym and common rooms has probably been a reasonable decision. I do look forward to regaining access though, once this wave passes.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:34 AM, Aussieroaming said:

I'm not sure whether covid is transmissible in water or not 

Research has already been done in other countries. If there is enough chlorine in the water then it would be absolutely safe.

There are never more than 2 or 3 people in our pool at the same time. Not even before the Covid outbreak. It seems that Thai don't swim. Or they are afraid to get a tan in the sun :)

I think there is absolutely no reason to close the pool. Except for the exaggerated rulemaking of people who do little else.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dimitri said:

Research has already been done in other countries. If there is enough chlorine in the water then it would be absolutely safe.

There are never more than 2 or 3 people in our pool at the same time. Not even before the Covid outbreak. It seems that Thai don't swim. Or they are afraid to get a tan in the sun :)

I think there is absolutely no reason to close the pool. Except for the exaggerated rulemaking of people who do little else.

The risk is not in the pool. In fact it is probably safer there! The problem is in the dressing rooms... How to wear a mask in the showers...

• Like 1

The pool where I stay did reopen a few weeks ago, it had been closed since early-April. It was supposed to be limited to one person booking in 1 hour slots, but people were just flouting the rules anyway and many times there were 3 other people in the pool by the time my hour was up. 

Lo and behold, a new Covid case in this building and they've closed it down again. Looking out on my balcony, looks like the place next door are still keeping theirs open for now.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 9:39 AM, dimitri said:

I'm a little sick of people who think they can decide for me what's right for me. I'm mature enough to do that myself.

and yet your in Thailand?

• Haha 1

New "lockdown"... Condo swimming pool closed.

Maybe one of the Mods can move this thread to "First World Problems"?