Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

Waking Ned (1998) 1hr 31mins  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166396/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0   

The winner of the Irish lottery dies of shock and the entire village attempt to claim his winnings.
A comedy starring James Nesbitt, Ian Bannen, David Kelly,

I can't remember when I laughed at only four minutes into a film, I did at this one. Thanks to @JohninDublin for recommending it.

Available on torrent.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Waking Ned (1998) 1hr 31mins  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166396/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0   

The winner of the Irish lottery dies of shock and the entire village attempt to claim his winnings.
A comedy starring James Nesbitt, Ian Bannen, David Kelly,

I can't remember when I laughed at only four minutes into a film, I did at this one. Thanks to @JohninDublin for recommending it.

Available on torrent.

Delighted you enjoyed it, but it wasn't so much a recommendation, as a recollection linking the event of the reports of the two Irishmen who brought the corpse to the Post Office to claim his pension.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Faraday said:

This looks like a nice, friendly movie, quite topical really - zombies & all that. 🤣

IMG_20220124_083323.thumb.png.11a159c991167c9ed85e1d0fbe2800b5.png

A 3.8 on IMDb, yet they managed to make another 4 !! ( 4.2 being the highest scorer )

Will probably have to take a look to see how bad/lusty it is ……… fnarr fnarr !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Cool 1

The Trip ( I onde dager ) (2021)
6.9 imdb rating 

No, not Brydon and Coogan’s exploits but a Norwegian/Swedish Action/Comedy/Thriller about Lars luring his annoying/cheating wife to a cabin by the lake with a plan to kill her.

Starts off a little slow but things start to liven up, and go drastically wrong, when Lars starts to put his plan into action. The situation changes rapidly and complications arise when a visitor arrives.

I watched a dubbed version on hdtoday.tv and nearly gave up after a while but persevered and glad I did as it has some great dark comedy moments.

Probably also available with subtitles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 Storeys High.

A slightly funny comedy about an irritable unlikeable pool lifeguard and swimming instructor (he takes The Oath), who is addicted to Blue Rat, and is fanatically loyal to his Tesco Club card.

He also claims to have one testicle, on account of having not travelled much, and wanting to seem more interesting. 

All episodes can be found online, free. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sean+lock+15+storeys+high+youtube&t=brave&ia=web

• Thanks 2

A Touch of Cloth (2012–2014)  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2240991/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt

A UK Sky TV comedy series, written as a spoof police drama (only two episodes per series of three).
Starring John Hannah, Suranne Jones, Navin Chowdhry, Adrian Bower.
Toddy Carty plays himself in a couple of episodes.

I think the best way to describe it is by quoting a review posted on IMDB:

[quote]
A Touch of Cloth is great fun, brings me back to the golden days of spoofs and slap stick comedy. Hotshot, Aeroplane, Naked Gun.. etc. It has very clever writing and word play. Well done Mr. Brooker you did it again.
Re-watch value is really good as a lot of things happens in the background so keep your eyes peeled for some jems.
The acting is good and the dead pan expressions from John Hannah go well with the comedy.
[endquote]

I watched the Behind The Scenes extra short episode in series two. One of the production team joked that the department producing the posters (continually seen in all the episodes) had the largest budget of all!
I can understand why. I continually had to pause playback to read the details on them, really funny.

Available on torrent.
(You'll need to search for 'A Touch of Cloth Behind The Scenes' separately)

• Thanks 2

On 1/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

6.9 imdb rating 

No, not Brydon and Coogan’s exploits but a Norwegian/Swedish Action/Comedy/Thriller about Lars luring his annoying/cheating wife to a cabin by the lake with a plan to kill her.

Starts off a little slow but things start to liven up, and go drastically wrong, when Lars starts to put his plan into action. The situation changes rapidly and complications arise when a visitor arrives.

I watched a dubbed version on hdtoday.tv and nearly gave up after a while but persevered and glad I did as it has some great dark comedy moments.

Probably also available with subtitles.

Thanks for the recommendation @DwizzleyMatthewsI watched it last night.

The Trip (2021) 1hr 54mins  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13109952/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0  
It was OK. I see IMDB list it as 'Action, Comedy, Horror.' When it got going I could sort of see the horror, although if you worked in A&E as a nurse, you'd probably see it as a normal day.

I also watched the dubbed English version, so it made it easier for me being hard-of-reading.

Available on torrent.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Quite interested in this series also as it's history will lead up to the Dutton's family rise in the Yellowstone series.

It's worth watching, e06 is out this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Vice Principals (2016-2017)

Tv series 2 seasons, 8.0 imdb rating.

If you missed this I strongly recommend you take a look, I’m bingeing it again.

Danny McBride and Walt Goggins star as a couple of vice principals of a high school. Both desperately desire to be the principal but when the position becomes available and someone from outside gets the job they decide to team up to oust the intruder.

Things get out of hand as the immature pair take their quest too seriously and cross the line various times ……. with disastrous results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:37 PM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

6.9 imdb rating 

The Trip 1967 is a classic with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper, written by Jack Nicholson.  Think I got it on the Pirate Bay a few years ago and watched it.  FYI  its an LSD trip they are talking about

514QmASxIfL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Edited by ExpatPattaya
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, GMoney2312 said:

Not sure, and don`t call me Shirley!

Not Airplane, but another Leslie Nielsen classic Naked Gun is being remade with Liam Neeson I heard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Not Airplane, but another Leslie Nielsen classic Naked Gun is being remade with Liam Neeson I heard

That'll be good!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

The Trip 1967 is a classic with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper, written by Jack Nicholson.  Think I got it on the Pirate Bay a few years ago and watched it.  FYI  its an LSD trip they are talking about

514QmASxIfL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Also an Indian movie from last year about a guy searching to experience the best weed in the world !!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15826210/

• Like 1

The Teacher (2022) Four 45-minute episodes  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15440604/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 

A Channel 5 (UK) production about a teacher in a Bradford school who drinks too much, then is accused of having sex with a student.
Starring Sheridan Smith, Samuel Bottomley, Cecilia Noble, David Fleeshman.

I found as with a lot of new series, it took the entire first episode to get into it. By then it drew me in and I had to watch all four episodes continuously.

Available on torrent (not A Teacher (2020))

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1