Jump to content

Film & TV Recommendations


Recommended Posts

On 11/9/2021 at 10:16 PM, billywillyjones said:

I watched El Chapo and researched as I watched and was surprised by how much of it was fact not fiction.  So many of these films deviate and become far too fictional.

Finished watching El Chapo and its a profound series tracking the life of the biggest drug dealer the world has known. Historically accurate for the bulk and also enjoyed the movie about Barry Seal, "American Made" ...Tom Cruise played the part very well.

I often wonder when watching movies like this why many of these people don't call it a day after making (lets say 100 million $US). Still though entertaining viewing all the same.    

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

The Harder they Fall ( 2021 )

 

Liking this, has a Tarantinoesque feel about it.

Idris Elba and Regina King (Lydia from Southland) star in this Western about revenge and rival gangs etc, etc.

Plenty of blood and gore and profanity in this movie but what sets it apart from the usual western offerings is that the main protagonists are black !!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10696784/

Gives it a sort of surreal , filmed in an alternative universe, type of feeling especially with the soundtrack ranging from Bob Marley to Hip Hop.

 

As strange as it sounds it actually works well as an action movie and I enjoyed it.

 

available on Netflix and fmovies.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Faraday said:

Help - TV series 

Stephen Graham & Jodie Comer

Some great acting by SG.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13649036/

Graham is top notch imho ( although I didn’t care for his chef movie Boiling Point much ).

Here’s another couple of his to check out: ( I haven’t watched either so don’t shoot the messenger 😀 )

Code 404

An action/comedy, a sort of modern day malfunctioning Robocop 😀, also starring Daniel Mays ( Temple, Des )

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9169784/

The North Water

Back to the serious roles for SG in this bleak gritty series about a whaling expedition in the Artic with a serial psychopath on board , also starring Colin Farrell.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7660970/

Edited by DwizzleyMatthews
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2021 at 12:00 PM, El_Trauco said:

Christmas Carnage

Danish style

Good to see a Danish series on Netflix. Saw a Dansih war movie called "Land of Mine"  last year and it was very well done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Graham is top notch imho ( although I didn’t care for his chef movie Boiling Point much ).

Here’s another couple of his to check out: ( I haven’t watched either so don’t shoot the messenger 😀 )

Code 404

An action/comedy, a sort of modern day malfunctioning Robocop 😀, also starring Daniel Mays ( Temple, Des )

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9169784/

The North Water

Back to the serious roles for SG in this bleak gritty series about a whaling expedition in the Artic with a serial psychopath on board , also starring Colin Farrell.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7660970/

So, i watched Code 404 season 1 last night.

The transition from serious actor to comedy, and vice versa , is difficult and often doesn’t work out well.

In Code 404 Stephen Graham pulls it off , as he has the lesser of the two comedic roles, but I think Daniel Mays doesn’t. It’s not bad but it is not laugh out loud comedy ( imho ). It’s akin to Johnny English in its humour with SG playing the fall guy. Indeed Rowan Atkinson would have been better in the lead with his comedic expressions. Mays acting , for me , improves in the last episode when there are some more serious moments.
 

Soo, some will find it funny, some will find it ridiculous, I was about 75% towards funny ( if that makes sense ) and will watch season 2.

The fact that there is a season 2 ( and a season 3 planned ) means it can’t be all that bad ………..,. doesn’t it 🤔

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Currently watching Kin (2021)

A modern day gangster series about 2 Dublin families who seemingly work together amicably in their illegal activities. Everyone seems to be just getting on with their business when one of the lower level gangster decides to flex his muscles and the situation changes ……. rapidly and for the worse !!

 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13444408/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a very big Beatles fan from the start. Downloaded Get Back off P Bay and am 1 hour 35 into Episode One. BORED with it already. 

Flitting from set design, where the show is going to be, to what songs they're gonna do. Hopefully it will get better, as the Let It Be album and rooftop concert proved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Currently watching Kin (2021)

A modern day gangster series about 2 Dublin families who seemingly work together amicably in their illegal activities. Everyone seems to be just getting on with their business when one of the lower level gangster decides to flex his muscles and the situation changes ……. rapidly and for the worse !!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13444408/

Watched it a few weeks ago, it is very good but a little slow at times.

Great ending to the first series.....👍

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2021 at 5:19 AM, WilliamG said:

I am a very big Beatles fan from the start. Downloaded Get Back off P Bay and am 1 hour 35 into Episode One. BORED with it already. 

Flitting from set design, where the show is going to be, to what songs they're gonna do. Hopefully it will get better, as the Let It Be album and rooftop concert proved.

Bored!??? I was riveted. Watching the creative process of songs just appearing out of thin air was amazing. The dynamics - Paul was a MF control freak. Listening to the songs that they didn't have quite right. Poor George, wanting to be Eric but not given his head. Probably get into Ep 2 tomorrow. The catalyst for everything coming together was supposedly Billy Preston. I want to see that happen. The editing was masterful. Once the band knew that everything was being recorded they messed with their instruments while they talked, so, Peter Jackson & crew invented an AI that could remove the sounds of the instruments so you can hear the conversations. A. Mazing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Bored!??? I was riveted. Watching the creative process of songs just appearing out of thin air was amazing. The dynamics - Paul was a MF control freak. Listening to the songs that they didn't have quite right. Poor George, wanting to be Eric but not given his head. Probably get into Ep 2 tomorrow. The catalyst for everything coming together was supposedly Billy Preston. I want to see that happen. The editing was masterful. Once the band knew that everything was being recorded they messed with their instruments while they talked, so, Peter Jackson & crew invented an AI that could remove the sounds of the instruments so you can hear the conversations. A. Mazing.

Episode 2 is better, but still could be reduced to 90 minutes per episode. 

My band in 69 had exactly the same Fender PA system as they had. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 9:23 AM, Bluesofa said:

The Last Bus  (2021)  1hr 27mins  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9410034/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4 

I've been waiting for a while to watch this film. I wasn't disappointed either.

A really nice, gentle story about a ninety-year-old making a journey by bus from John O'Groats to Land's End.
Apart from various events on the way, his eventual arrival at his destination was very poignant.
No violence, no swearing, definitely worth watching.

I was rather apprehensive, as being a Timothy Spall fan, the last two of his films I've seen were, in my opinion, rubbish.
It Snows in Benidorm (2020) and The Obscure Life of the Grand Duke of Corsica (2021) were not what I've come to expect from someone I first saw in Auf Wiedersehen, Pet (1983-2004).
In that series he played Barry, from the Black Country. What I never knew until years later, he's a Londoner.

And he played Pierrpoint who was from up t'North.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

Landscapers

And a quick check on my torrent site brought up the book “the woodchip handbook”.

But episode 1 ready for downloading 😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Rescue (2021)

8.4 imdb rating 

A full length documentary/movie of the Wild Boars cave rescue.

At last a doc worthwhile watching, narrated by the Thais and foreigners involved in the rescue, some great footage.

No Hollywood actors or any one sided opinions of who should get the credit .

 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9098872/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Unforgivable ( 2021 )

Sandra Bullock stars as Ruth, recently released after 20 years in prison and desperately trying to find her younger sister but as well as her rehabilitation problems others have an old score to settle.

Bullock does well in this crime drama assisted by Vincent D’Onofrio, Jon Bernthal and Richard Thomas ( still trying to shake off his Johnboy Walton persona ). 

 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11233960/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Years ago, I downloaded MacArthur's Children. But it was only available in H.265, and I couldn't play it back at the time. Just remembered it a few days ago and finally watched it. Quite nice.  A year after it premiered, the leading actress, Masako Natsume, died at age 27.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to believe, but it's been twenty years since Peter Jackson's masterful cinematic adaptation of "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" was released. If you are as much a fan as I, you owe it to yourself to watch this:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last train to Christmas (2021)

A sort of cross between A Christmas Carol and The Butterfly Effect.

Martin Sheen stars as Tony Towers and his story starts with him boarding a train in London headed up north on Christmas Eve 1985. A larger than life nightclub owner Tony ( think Peter Stringfellow ) is celebrating his plan of opening 6 new nightclubs but on moving from one carriage to another finds himself travelling  backwards and forwards in time.

Seizing the opportunity to use this time travel to avoid mistakes he made in the past he finds it is not that straight forward and makes him re-evaluate his whole life.

Worth a look if just for the nostalgia of train travel and fashion trends of days gone by, plus the numerous hairstyles sported by Tony, and Roger .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14061008/

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • Join Thaiger Talk Today!

    Sign up in 30 seconds and join the discussion on everything Thailand!

  • Latest Posts

    1. 56

      News Forum - Teenage gunman goes on rampage killing 19 children and 2 adults at a Texas primary school

    2. 56

      News Forum - Teenage gunman goes on rampage killing 19 children and 2 adults at a Texas primary school

    3. 296

      Russia v Ukraine - How This Is Going To End

    4. 296

      Russia v Ukraine - How This Is Going To End

  • New Topics

  • Popular Now

  • Tell a friend

    Love Thaiger Talk? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use