Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

4 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

That’s why I will wait until the end of the series before I start the books ….. I believe around 15 of them …. As so much that the Production team will, omit or change to suit a viable plot line. 

The original series is a trio of books; Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation.  The TV series begins with Foundation.

• Like 1

Just now, MrStretch said:

The original series is a trio of books; Foundation, Foundation and Empire, and Second Foundation.

Yes but….. their is a lot more to foundation than those specific 3 books. Have a read of the foundation wiki ref all the books. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Now waiting on third episode…. Great so far. Visually impressive.

I've just completed the second, and I won't be watching any more.  It's so far from the stories now that I just can't enjoy it.

1 hour ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Yes but….. their is a lot more to foundation than those specific 3 books. Have a read of the foundation wiki ref all the books. 

I know, I have them all, even the "fan" books that were written later (pure trash) and have read them all many times.  I started with a water-damaged copy that I found in a small bookstore in Recife, Brasil when I was looking for English reading material.  The Foundation Trilogy was the only thing they had.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

The Foundation Trilogy was the only thing they had.

I may just take that as a suggestion , and start with the original three books from the 1950’s. In a way you could say it’s like Star Wars, the original 3 to me will always be the best!

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 9:03 PM, Bob20 said:

Coronavirus Conspiracy

Haven't seen it yet and didn't look at the details

Maybe just as believable …… Sweet Tooth ….. Filmed in 2019 released this year, 10 episodes.

Ten years ago in "The Great Crumble", society collapsed due to a viral pandemic of a disease known as the Sick, wiping out most of the world's human population, and leading to the mysterious emergence of hybrid babies that are born part human, part animal.

Unsure whether hybrids are the cause of the virus or a result of the virus, many humans fear and hunt the hybrids. Gus, a half-deer hybrid, lives in the wilderness with his father – who dies when Gus is nine years old. Gus discovers a box buried by his father beneath a tree; the box contains what Gus believes is a photograph of his mother, with the word "Colorado" written on it. ………

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12809988/

WoW, did Netflix know in advance of the viral pandemic?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

I may just take that as a suggestion , and start with the original three books from the 1950’s. In a way you could say it’s like Star Wars, the original 3 to me will always be the best!

Indeed best place to start.  Asimov’ original trilogy was one of those  foundational (groan) to my love of sci-fi. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrStretch said:

When you begin reading, you'll understand my confusion at the beginning of the series.  What the hell is "the vault" and why is that black woman Hober Mallow?

Was interested to see this as read it in 1975 and still think it's the best sf ever written. Soon got tired with it, as so often a 'diversity' production and goes off track right at the start.

• Like 1

A couple of months ago I downloaded ALL the James Bond films and started at Dr No. Today it is The Living Daylights so by the time I finish what I have, the new one will be on Pirate Bay.

• Like 2

Big Ben: Restoring the World-Famous Clock (2021)  45 minutes

A Channel 4 (UK) documentary about the multi-million pound project.

Available on torrent and on youtube.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

Big Ben: Restoring the World-Famous Clock (2021)  45 minutes

A Channel 4 (UK) documentary about the multi-million pound project.

Available on torrent and on youtube.

ding dong

Just started Another Life on Netflix. I'm usually not into derivative Sci-Fi but it comes across as a mash-up of Star Trek, Close Encounters, Arrival, Lost in Space, and Alien. It's pretty good (other than the typical problems of non-ballistic spaceflight, etc.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 Up Millennium Generation  (2021)  1hr 56 mins  (not listed on IMDB)

A BBC documentary following a group of children from all over the UK born in 1993. The cameras return every seven years.
Meet the millennium generation - and watch them grow - sharing their hopes, struggles and achievements.

Two one hour episodes on BBC iPlayer and available on torrent.

• Like 1