Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

The Brothers Grimsby (UK aka Grimsby) (2016) 1hr 23m   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3381008/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1        

Stars Sacha Baron Cohen, Johnny Vegas, Ricky Tomlinson, John Thomson.
I’m not a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, but I thought I’d give it a go as it was set in Grimsby (that's England in case you’re not aware) and there were a lot of British actors in it.
The script was written by Sacha Baron Cohen and Phil Johnston For me, two Americans writing a script for an ‘English’ film just didn’t work. The jokes were tacky and the idea of two blokes stuck in an elephant’s vagina while the elephants were mating was pathetic. I stuck it for fifty-five minutes then gave up.
If you like Sacha Baron Cohen, then give it a go.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

The Brothers Grimsby (UK aka Grimsby) (2016) 1hr 23m   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3381008/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1        

Stars Sacha Baron Cohen, Johnny Vegas, Ricky Tomlinson, John Thomson.
I’m not a fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, but I thought I’d give it a go as it was set in Grimsby (that's England in case you’re not aware) and there were a lot of British actors in it.
The script was written by Sacha Baron Cohen and Phil Johnston For me, two Americans writing a script for an ‘English’ film just didn’t work. The jokes were tacky and the idea of two blokes stuck in an elephant’s vagina while the elephants were mating was pathetic. I stuck it for fifty-five minutes then gave up.
If you like Sacha Baron Cohen, then give it a go.

I agree Bluesofa. I couldn't watch it through just like yourself.

However, I think Ali G set new standards; loved him. Borat; made me cringe at times.

That Austrian fashion model was good too.

Edited by snapdragon
  • Thanks 1

I watched a movie last week that surprised me. A hidden Jewel. "The Life of David Gale" with Kevin Spacey. I was bored and well, started it up to occupy time. Ten minutes into it, I was hooked. And the ending, well I couldn't even have figured it out. Try watching this, and id love to discussing  it with the group. Rate this film as one of the better movies i have seen.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I watched a movie last week that surprised me. A hidden Jewel. "The Life of David Gale" with Kevin Spacey. I was bored and well, started it up to occupy time. Ten minutes into it, I was hooked. And the ending, well I couldn't even have figured it out. Try watching this, and id love to discussing  it with the group. Rate this film as one of the better movies i have seen.

Haven't heard of it, but imbd gave it a 7.5 rating.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0289992/

Decent cast, including Laura Linney who I find quite appealing.

I'll have a gander at it later..& post up my thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kenneth said:

Kevin Spacey is now vilified and shunned by casting directors for having allegedly used his celebrity status to make unwanted sexual avances to young actors.

But he is a great actor and I have never seen a movie with him in it that was not worth watching.  One of my favorites with him is the unnoticed by the movie-public 'The men who stare at goats'  also with a great Jeff Bridges (the Big Lebowski) and George Clooney.

11 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

The Brothers Grimsby (UK aka Grimsby) (2016) 1hr 23m 
The script was written by Sacha Baron Cohen and Phil Johnston For me, two Americans writing a script for an ‘English’ film just didn’t work. 

Sacha Noam Baron Cohen (born 13 October 1971) is an English actor, comedian, producer and writer.

We Yanks don't claim him.  He's all yours.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MrStretch said:

Sacha Noam Baron Cohen (born 13 October 1971) is an English actor, comedian, producer and writer.

We Yanks don't claim him.  He's all yours.

Good grief, I personally wouldn't want to claim him! I stand corrected. Thanks for putting me right.

15 hours ago, Kenneth said:

I Thought it was pretty good, dunno why it received such dreadful reviews.

Spacey, Linney &  Winslet played their parts very well, although I'd have like to have seen Tommy Lee-Jones in there, playing the part of a bad sherrif or something.?

On the subject of the death penalty, did you know that Arizona uses Hydrogen Cyanide as a means to extinguish life ?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/28/arizona-gas-chamber-executions-documents

Is there anything in particular you wanted to discuss, Kenneth?

On 7/31/2021 at 7:17 AM, BlueSphinx said:

Kevin Spacey is now vilified and shunned by casting directors for having allegedly used his celebrity status to make unwanted sexual avances to young actors.

Pretty much all men are being villified in the woke era... rightly or wrongly who knows anymore.

Anyway... a great series to watch out for "The Witcher" on Netflix. Season 2 is coming this year. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5180504/

Has an 8.2 rating!

image.jpeg.def15ad2b2699f582be37feb95a2c4b1.jpeg

Edited by Ubon2530
  • Like 2

The Last Letter from Your Lover (2021) 1hr 50m   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1893273/

A pair of interwoven stories set in the past and present, follow a journalist solve the mystery of a love affair from secret love letters discovered from 1965.

If you want action, or a fast moving thriller, this isn’t for you. It’s a gentle romantic story. I can say I really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

If you like family movies that are kid-friendly, this one is a good one:

The Water Man https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4779326/  IMDB rated it at 5.3...I thought it was worth more than that.

I was intrigued because it was directed by David Oyelowo who is really an incredible actor.  He directs here, but it also has Rosario Dawson, whom I have loved since her role in Men in Black, as K's daughter. Lonnie Chavis, a young actor from the acclaimed TV show "This is Us" is the main star and this kid's good.  Alfred Molina has a small but really nice part, as well.

19 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Taken: Hunting The Sex Traffickers 

This is very well done, lots of covert filming, but not in a sensational way. 

It doesn't denounce prostitution, but makes the case about trafficking.

Three episodes available on the bay & Rar.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/taken-hunting-the-sex-traffickers.

Excellent movie

16 hours ago, Faraday said:

Taken: Hunting The Sex Traffickers 

This is very well done, lots of covert filming, but not in a sensational way. 

It doesn't denounce prostitution, but makes the case about trafficking.

Three episodes available on the bay & Rar.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/taken-hunting-the-sex-traffickers.

Pity the UK cops do not put in the same effort to tacking down and charging Muslim rape gangs preying on schoolgirls. The trip from Brazil to UK for prostitution so bad that the end of the film shows a girl coming back of her own accord, self 'trafikking' !

35 minutes ago, thai3 said:

Pity the UK cops do not put in the same effort to tacking down and charging Muslim rape gangs preying on schoolgirls.

Yes it's bloody disgraceful & still happening.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Stephen 

New documentary about the murder of Stephen Lawrence in London 1993. I still feel sad when I think of him.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/stephen-itv-release-date/

But all the white kids and other black youngsters stabbed to death by non whites since are forgotten, no memorials to them. 

Edited by thai3

27 minutes ago, thai3 said:

But all the white kids and other black youngsters stabbed to death by non whites since are forgotten, no memorials to them. 

Yes I agree, but Stephen's murder was the first of its kind, done in such a brutal, senseless way.

The investigation was absolutely shite.

It grieves me also, that almost every time I look at the 'papers', there's yet another stabbing. All drug related it seems.

Secrets of an ISIS Smartphone (2021) 46 mins

A BBC documentary looking into why over nine hundred British citizens had joined ISIS.
The reporter, himself a second generation brown skin - as he described himself - was following the trail of three young men who died.
Video footage from a smartphone one of them took on their trip to join ISIS played a large part of the programme.
I thought it was well worth watching.

• Thanks 1

The Battle for the South China Sea (2021) 23 mins

A short BBC documentary showing how China is taking control of the South China Sea by their paid 'militia naval force'.

The Philippines featured and how their fisherman can no longer fish around the Scarborough Shoal (off the Philippine coast) due to intimidation by  the Chinese in dozens of small vessels.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

Secrets of an ISIS Smartphone (2021) 46 mins

The only torrents I've found are by ' Darkflix' & won't download....

You got any clues, guv'?