Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

16 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I did watch it all the way through but thought it pretty bad, a shame as I like Keitel, Byrne and Mark Addy.

It never got a great reception, I know.
I enjoyed it for the location, the actors and the skewed cultural differences.

Whenever I see Mark Addy it always triggers in my mind his line from The Full Monty, while eating a Mars Bar and with cling-film wrapped around his stomach: "Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-fat-bastard cream there isn't."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

It never got a great reception, I know.
I enjoyed it for the location, the actors and the skewed cultural differences.

Whenever I see Mark Addy it always triggers in my mind his line from The Full Monty, while eating a Mars Bar and with cling-film wrapped around his stomach: "Anti-wrinkle cream there may be, but anti-fat-bastard cream there isn't."

Wish there had been more scenic locations, one I recognised was shown in the first 30 seconds and again in the last 30 seconds ( the weird dog scene ) was this,

EBE24FD2-EBD9-4258-8B03-BEE243ACFD8F.thumb.jpeg.268fc35b15eaa0f06905911a5b9f2fcf.jpeg

brought back many happy memories, my dad would take us there climbing.

Cow and Calf rocks, Ilkley.

• Like 1

Okay, time to get back on topic I guess.

Black Mirror ( 2011-2019 )

8.8 imdb

22 episodes 

Each episode a different tale involving technology and how it affects our daily life usually causing problems we could never envisage.

The series opens with a chilling tale of how the actions of one, together with the media reactions of millions ,causes an unexpected and sickening reality. How far are you prepared to go to save your reputation while possibly damaging it beyond repair at the same time ??

Some powerful imagery used in this series, a big advantage being if you don’t like the episode skip to the next.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085059/

A movie ( Black Mirror: Bandersnatch ) released in 2018 , was not as good as the series imho.

• Like 2

Downloaded Licorice Pizza, as recommended. What a load of sh**e. Lasted 10 minutes, then flipped through it to see if it got any better. It did'nt, in my opinion

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, WilliamG said:

Downloaded Licorice Pizza, as recommended. What a load of sh**e. Lasted 10 minutes, then flipped through it to see if it got any better. It did'nt, in my opinion

I was looking forward to this, as it got good reviews..

Like you say it wuz poop!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

After a story about a Bangkok hospital interrupting a funeral as they had delivered the wrong corpse !!, i remembered this movie from my youth .

The Wrong Box ( 1966 )

Obviously a bit dated but with a great cast of Michael Caine, John Mills, Tony Hancock, Ralph Richardson, Cook & Moore , Peter Sellers ……. the cast reads like a who’s who of famous British actors/comedians !!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061204/

I watched it on hdtoday.cc but probably available elsewhere also.

9 hours ago, Faraday said:

The Ipcress File 2022

Looks good, all 6 episodes up for download on all good torrent sites. I’m doing a rush download now for a binge watch.

The Sinner ( 2017 - 2021 )

Tv series, 4 seasons, 7.9 imdb.

Bill Pullman stars as Harry Ambrose, a detective in up state New York. A troubled character but Harry has an ability to see seemingly clear cut cases for what they really are and doggedly follows them to their conclusion.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6048596/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The Adam Project ( 2022 )

If you are not a fan of Ryan Reynolds give this a wide berth, if you are an RR fan …. well it’s still debatable if you will like this or not !!

It starts off okay and as we have come to expect from him ( Deadpool, Red Notice ) plenty of sarcasm . Only this time it’s double the “fun”  as Adam ( RR ) goes back in time and meets his 12 year old self . 
It becomes a bit of a comedy duo with Adam and Young Adam working overtime on the wise cracking, it becomes a bit tiresome .

The story revolves around going back in time to stop things happening but things don’t go as expected.

At the 30 minute mark I found myself reaching for my phone as the story failed to hold my interest, it’s all a bit too Disney for me and shortly after i switched off .

Probably a good movie for the family or early teens but didn’t work for me.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2463208/

• Like 2

That dirty black bag ( 2022 )

The imdb write up is a little vague “ Two men face off in a savage, deserted world. “ , but the trailer gives more indication.

Stars Dominic Cooper ( of Preacher fame ) and promises to be a gritty violent western.

So, if unprecedented violence and decapitation is your “ thang “ , then give this a try.

3 episodes of season 1 available currently.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7809420/

• Like 1

Godless ( 2017 )

Due to a mining disaster a town in 1880’s American West is inhabited by nearly all women. They have their own problems but things take a turn for the worse when a gunshot stranger turns up . Turns out this stranger is being hunted by a murderous outlaw gang leader, played by Jeff Daniels,   bent on revenge.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5516154/

Had a real Clint Eastwood movie feel to it at the end and a great shame they couldn’t squeeze out a second season 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our friends in the North ( 1996 )

8.6 IMDb rating

This will appeal to the Brits among us:

” A nine part series depicting the varying fortunes of four friends, Nicky, Geordie, Mary, and Tosker, from the optimistic times of 1964 to the uncertainties of 1995. Taking nine pivotal years (1964, 1966, 1967, 1970, 1974, 1979, 1984, 1987, and 1995) the personal lives of the characters become intertwined with the political struggles of their home town of Newcastle, and the capital, London. We also see the machinations behind the scenes that affect their lives, often for the worse: slum housing projects, police corruption, the rise of Thatcherism, political sleaze, and specific events like the 1984 Miners' Strike. “

Daniel Craig, Christopher Eccleston, Mark Strong and Gina McKee as the leads plus a host of well known faces including Larry Lamb and Malcolm McDowell.

I streamed it on fmovies but I think all 9 episodes available on YouTube.

Red Election i down loaded it a while ago, but the title put me off, anyway i watched the 1st episode and was hooked, mi5/political story in my opinion worth a watch, i don't think its been mentioned before, but i could be wrong, whole season 1as a download in all the normal places

• Thanks 1

So far … great watch after 2 episodes. Slow Horses.

Could make a Thai version for those that don’t make their “Quota” in the Thai Police Force 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Saville : A British Horror Story ( 2022 )

6.8 imdb, 2 episodes 

A familiar story to virtually every British citizen and definitely an eye opener to anyone who doesn’t know the full story , as the title suggests it was indeed “ a British horror story “ !!

Looking back at this footage it is difficult to see how a quirky/eccentric/creepy character such as Jimmy Saville could become a National Treasure held in such high esteem from honest working folk to politicians ( Thatcher was a huge fan and personally pushed for his knighthood ) to Royalty !!

His early radio DJ work and getting his face on “ Top of the Pops “ endeared him to the nation , his “ Jim’ll Fix It “ programme ensured dizzying heights of fame and public adoration but that was only the tip of the iceberg.

His volunteer work at a local hospital , his charity runs, bike rides and general appearances raised millions and millions of pounds for hospitals , children’s care homes and the like, Stoke Mandeville his most famous and successful venture.

His fame skyrocketed and he literally was “ never off the telly “ , his unique, yet strange, appearance and method of conversing was seen more as quaint than weird. A confirmed bachelor with no hint of romance in his life caused some early rumours of scandal but these were merely rumours and the man’s fame brushed them aside.

Prince Charles and Lady Diana were swept aside as nation’s favourites but quickly jumped on the bandwagon and became firm friends with Charles writing several letters to Saville asking for advice. Such was the hypnotic strength of this former creepy DJ , now Elvis level status, that Saville wrote a 5 page manual, shortly after the Lockerbie bombing, on the correct procedure for dealing with disaster for the Royal Family.

His fame peaked with the addition of a knighthood to his already God like adoration, he was unstoppable ……. but the rumours of something dark were bubbling underneath the surface and people were starting to believe that a scandal was looming !!

But his timely death meant he never faced severe questioning and only brief quizzing of the rumours that were becoming rife on the internet. His reputation still relatively intact he received a funeral of head of state proportions.

Very hard to believe that this was FACT and not FICTION, it’s difficult to watch the programme without some feeling of guilt that, as a British nation, we let this happen. Saville was street smart , he surrounded himself with high ranking police, politicians, entertainers and royalty and surely felt that giving so much to the nation he was also at liberty to take what he desired.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18970454/

• Like 2

Currently watching:

Outnumbered (2007 - 2016)

35 episodes , 8.1 imdb

The 3 kids outnumber Sue and Pete ( played by Hugh Dennis ) and it’s the two smaller ones , Ben and Karen, who steal the show , Karen’s logical approach to questions often stumps her parents and Ben’s super vivid imagination combined with a modicum of fibbing exasperates Pete in particular.

I never bothered with this as it appeared to be just another family based sit com but after seeing some clips on FB I started to binge the lot, absolutely loving it.

A large amount of improvisation was used in the making of this series and it works well, the kids being allowed to say the first thing that comes out of their tiny heads is complemented well by Dad’s sarcasm.

Based on the reviews, there’s no middle ground with Outnumbered, you either find it absolutely hilarious or downright annoying.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1086191/

• Like 1

Non PC and nostalgic views of London.

Just noticed Sweeney and Sweeney 2 are at the top of the Rarbg Movie Catalog tab.

That's my viewing for the next 2 nights sorted.