Film & TV Recommendations

Bluesofa

4 hours ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Has any one seen Pig, the new Nicholas Cage movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11003218/

Not to be confused with the Vase de noces. I didn’t want to paste the english language name of that film 😉

Yes.  I watched it six months ago. It was just about OK, a bit surreal at times. Odd even for Nicholas Cage.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2022 at 6:27 PM, Faraday said:

Stay Close

Written by Harlem Coben 

Detective TV series all 6 eps available.

James Nesbit, Cush Jumbo

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt2201227/

Stay Close (2021)
I finished watching this last night. I had to watch the last three episodes together, it was captivating (BTW it's eight forty-five-minute episodes).
The best British detective series I've seen for a while. Thanks to Faraday for the recommendation.

A Netflix production with a myriad of subtitles in thirty-four languages. Available on torrent.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, Faraday said:

Stephen Merchant & Sheridan Smith in:

Four Lives

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7428760/

Watching this now and loving it .

Stephen Merchant does well depicting the creepy Stephen Port, Sheridan Smith also shines as the grieving, and angry, mother of the first victim.

The police come across as , inept, uncaring and totally unprofessional ………. no comment !!

• Like 2

Interested in investigative documentary? Last night I watched "Misha and the Wolves" available on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13648220/

In short, it is a story from a Holocaust survivor that ended up as a bestseller, a French movie, Disney wanted to make a movie, Oprah wanted to have her on the show. However, as we all know..."all that glitters is not gold".

I was hooked until the last second. Highly recommended 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Has anyone watched After Life s03?

I would urge you to, if you want a really good laugh.

S03E03 at the 12 minute mark had me howling with laughter.

Give it a go & post up what you think.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2021 at 6:22 AM, Bluesofa said:

Last night I watched  Don’t Breathe (2016)  1hr 28. A US made film.  

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4160708/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_3  

It's listed as crime, thriller, horror.
Now while horror doesn't appeal to me one iota, (I end up laughing and annoying others watching) I think it would much better described as 'suspense' instead.
I was pleased I ignored the 'horror' tag on IMDB. I really felt it was worthy of being compared a film by the master himself - Hitchcock.

There's apparently a sequel coming out on 13 August 2021. Oddly enough it's called Don’t Breathe 2.

If anyone else has any recommendations, please add them.

Alternative titles for the sequel that didn't make it: 

1. Don't breath: blue in the face

2. Gasping for Air 

3. Don't Breath ... Again 

4. Don't Breath: we mean it this time! 

5. Don't breath... or else. 

• Haha 2

The Boat that Rocked (2009)

( also known as Pirate Radio )

Difficult to believe but in mid 60’s Britain the fuddy duddies at the BBC restricted the amount of pop/rock music on the radio believing the general public had a preference for classical music !!

( while some people had the summer of love Brits were having to make do with the summer of tea, crumpets and Elgar !! )

Thankfully some dj’s saw the need for alternative radio stations to play the “ good stuff “ hence the formation of pirate radio stations ( Radio Caroline, Radio London etc, using the Radio Luxembourg format ) broadcasting from ships offshore.

The BBC were forced into creating Radio 1,2,3 and 4 in 1967 and several of the dj’s popular on Radio Caroline etc jumped ship ( pun intended ) to join Radio 1 much to the delight of the “ kids “.

Pirate radio stations still exist today but now broadcast mainly from tower blocks as satirised in the tv series “ People just do nothing “.

Anyhoo, The Boat that Rocked is a great comedy drama with a great soundtrack, obviously !, and a superb cast. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays The Count a larger than life character whose supremacy is threatened by the arrival of a DJ “ God “.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1131729/

( available on fmovies under the Pirate Radio name ).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Difficult to believe but in mid 60’s Britain the fuddy duddies at the BBC restricted the amount of pop/rock music on the radio believing the general public had a preference for classical music !!

( while some people had the summer of love Brits were having to make do with the summer of tea, crumpets and Elgar !! )

Thankfully some dj’s saw the need for alternative radio stations to play the “ good stuff “ hence the formation of pirate radio stations ( Radio Caroline, Radio London etc, using the Radio Luxembourg format ) broadcasting from ships offshore.

The BBC were forced into creating Radio 1,2,3 and 4 in 1967 and several of the dj’s popular on Radio Caroline etc jumped ship ( pun intended ) to join Radio 1 much to the delight of the “ kids “.

Pirate radio stations still exist today but now broadcast mainly from tower blocks as satirised in the tv series “ People just do nothing “.

Anyhoo, The Boat that Rocked is a great comedy drama with a great soundtrack, obviously !, and a superb cast. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays The Count a larger than life character whose supremacy is threatened by the arrival of a DJ “ God “.

Thanks for that recommendation > the plot sure looks like great!

On 1/15/2022 at 7:06 PM, Faraday said:

Has anyone watched After Life s03?

I would urge you to, if you want a really good laugh.

S03E03 at the 12 minute mark had me howling with laughter.

Give it a go & post up what you think.

Absolutely loving it, bingeing it right now, up to the standard of the previous seasons imho.

Laughing out loud one minute then brought down with some sad memories the next and finally wondering how he gets away with some of the dialogue.

Some of the graphic dialogue and swearing might be too much for some but I’m not watching it with my mum so it’s okay with me.

My only complaint would be that the episodes are short and over way too soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Absolutely loving it, bingeing it right now, up to the standard of the previous seasons imho.

Laughing out loud one minute then brought down with some sad memories the next and finally wondering how he gets away with some of the dialogue.

Some of the graphic dialogue and swearing might be too much for some but I’m not watching it with my mum so it’s okay with me.

My only complaint would be that the episodes are short and over way too soon.

Watched e5 this afternoon...

Every episode makes me laugh.

One minute - especially ep3, & I'm laughing my head off, then,  another scene, & I'm reminded of bittersweet memories, sometimes of deep loss.

The swearing is hilarious & appropriate. Love it!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Faraday said:

Watched e5 this afternoon...

Every episode makes me laugh.

One minute - especially ep3, & I'm laughing my head off, then,  another scene, & I'm reminded of bittersweet memories, sometimes of deep loss.

The swearing is hilarious & appropriate. Love it!

Get the Kleenex ready for episode 6 🥺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

Get the Kleenex ready for episode 6 🥺

It was absolutely amazing, & the ending...so wonderfully done.

Yup, there was a tear in my eye.

10/10

• Like 1

Breaking the Silence (2018) 4hr 12mins (6 x 42 minute episodes)
A documentary about the Amish in America.
Personal story of the Graber family and others who were thrown out of the Amish community for questioning their preaching methods.
Episode 4 follows the origins of Amish from German-speaking Switzerland.

As an atheist I found it a very interesting documentary, particularly how it all started.

Available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaHIEZkeTF4 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, DwizzleyMatthews said:

The Boat that Rocked (2009) 2hrs 15mins.
Thanks for posting the review. I watched it last night.
While it was billed as a comedy, it was funny as well as easy to watch. The music brought back memories too.
I thought it was an excellent film.
Also available on torrent.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2022 at 2:48 AM, Vladimir said:

Interested in investigative documentary? Last night I watched "Misha and the Wolves" available on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13648220/

In short, it is a story from a Holocaust survivor that ended up as a bestseller, a French movie, Disney wanted to make a movie, Oprah wanted to have her on the show. However, as we all know..."all that glitters is not gold".

I was hooked until the last second. Highly recommended 👍

Misha and the Wolves (2021) 1hr 30mins
Thanks for this. I d/l it via torrent, and like you I was hooked. Very good.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 11:16 PM, BlueSphinx said:

Thanks for that recommendation > the plot sure looks like great!

The tower block is a feature of Sean Locks short lived "15 Storeys High". 

• Like 1

Ozark s04 e01 available now 

It looks as if they'll be releasing all the episodes over t'weekend.

No doubt Julia Garner will be mouthing off as usual, in that same convincingly hilarious way.

Great actress.

Not actor, coz she wimmin.

• Like 1

Ozark S04 semi-complete is available on 1337x .   Just saw Jason Bateman on a late night show and he explained he is not sure how many episodes in total but the first 7 are being released now.  

This is the final season and seems the powers that be have not decided how many episodes will be needed to complete the series.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Ozark S04 semi-complete is available on 1337x .   Just saw Jason Bateman on a late night show and he explained he is not sure how many episodes in total but the first 7 are being released now.  

This is the final season and seems the powers that be have not decided how many episodes will be needed to complete the series.  

I read on t’other forum that it’s 7 episodes now and another 7 later on in the year, imdb hints at that also with a gap between eps 7 & 8 and no dates posted for eps 8 thru 14 .

6 hours ago, DwizzleyMatthews said:

I read on t’other forum that it’s 7 episodes now and another 7 later on in the year, imdb hints at that also with a gap between eps 7 & 8 and no dates posted for eps 8 thru 14 .

Yes, I see that the torrent is labelled as: 

Ozark Part 1

It has 7 episodes in it.

• Like 1